Hey all - returning to guitar playing after about 7 year hiatus. Researching gear for the possible outcome of getting my chops up to snuff again to playing in a rock cover band (80's rock and metal to newer)

I want the flexibility of many different tones in order to better replicate different guitarists sounds and I came across the Line 6 Vetta II amp. What are your opinions of the combo vs. the head? Not worried so much about cost as much as I am having a better rig if there is a marked advantage of one over the other.

If I get the head, what are the advantages/disadvantages of playing through a FRFR speaker vs. regular guitar cab?

Thanks.
Never played a Vetta through FRFR set up, but the other L6 amps that I have (flextone,spider valve) sounded like crap through them.

Vetta II are great amps and they are very cheap used now, you will need at least the FBV Shortboard to get the most the amp can offer. The combo will be easier and cheaper to buy than the head and a cab. You also need to realize the amp has two 150watt power amps in i8t so you need a cab that can handle this. This means you will need a 4x12 (most likely) with a stereo jack to get the best out of the amp. The combo can do it on it's own.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Never played a Vetta through FRFR set up, but the other L6 amps that I have (flextone,spider valve) sounded like crap through them.

Vetta II are great amps and they are very cheap used now, you will need at least the FBV Shortboard to get the most the amp can offer. The combo will be easier and cheaper to buy than the head and a cab. You also need to realize the amp has two 150watt power amps in i8t so you need a cab that can handle this. This means you will need a 4x12 (most likely) with a stereo jack to get the best out of the amp. The combo can do it on it's own.

Thanks Robb. If I go with the vetta I will choose the combo knowing I can add a cab later if I want and I will definately get the board.
Quote by wazntme
Thanks Robb. If I go with the vetta I will choose the combo knowing I can add a cab later if I want and I will definately get the board.

Just so you know the Vetta I can be updated for free to the Vetta II from the L6 web site. They just look a little different. You will also need the FBV shortboard (the newer MKII will work the same as the older FBV, you will just have an extra loop button that doesn't work with the Vetta.

Actually make sure the Vetta I uses the FBV before you order, the older L6 amps used the old L6 Floorboard and I'm not sure the Vetta does or not
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Just so you know the Vetta I can be updated for free to the Vetta II from the L6 web site. They just look a little different. You will also need the FBV shortboard (the newer MKII will work the same as the older FBV, you will just have an extra loop button that doesn't work with the Vetta.

Actually make sure the Vetta I uses the FBV before you order, the older L6 amps used the old L6 Floorboard and I'm not sure the Vetta does or not

OK good to know - thanks. In my research I have discovered the 4 cable method for running a multi effects unit which might be more what i want by getting an amp that stands on its own for tone but have the added flexibility of multi effects patches to choose from. I am gonna start a new thread with some questions about this so I understand correctly.
Quote by wazntme
OK good to know - thanks. In my research I have discovered the 4 cable method for running a multi effects unit which might be more what i want by getting an amp that stands on its own for tone but have the added flexibility of multi effects patches to choose from. I am gonna start a new thread with some questions about this so I understand correctly.

Yeah that isn't a bad idea, but you will spend much more on a good amp and good MFX than the Vetta. The FX and amp sims on the Vetta are pretty damn nice, my buddy has a vetta head and it can literally do any style and FX you want.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What about a Randall RM? I would think an RM could be found as easily as a Vetta. Its another option at least.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah that isn't a bad idea, but you will spend much more on a good amp and good MFX than the Vetta. The FX and amp sims on the Vetta are pretty damn nice, my buddy has a vetta head and it can literally do any style and FX you want.

Good to know from a first (well second) hand source that the vetta is as good as reviews are saying it is.

Is your friend finding the vetta to be reliable? I have some concern about it being obsolete and not being able to repair it if it breaks.
I've owned both the Vetta combo and head. Personally, I preferred the head because I thought it sounded better through a real cab, but the combo was nice, too.

My major gripe with those amps are they definitely need that huge power amp, as all of the models on them are fairly scooped. I found myself having to turn the amp up 2-3x as high as the other guitarist's 50w tube amp to be heard over the drummer.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've owned both the Vetta combo and head. Personally, I preferred the head because I thought it sounded better through a real cab, but the combo was nice, too.

My major gripe with those amps are they definitely need that huge power amp, as all of the models on them are fairly scooped. I found myself having to turn the amp up 2-3x as high as the other guitarist's 50w tube amp to be heard over the drummer.

Yeah if I go with the vetta I will get the head - intabout the volumeeresting note about the volume - thanks for posting.
Quote by wazntme
Good to know from a first (well second) hand source that the vetta is as good as reviews are saying it is.

Is your friend finding the vetta to be reliable? I have some concern about it being obsolete and not being able to repair it if it breaks.

He had an issue with it 7-8 yrs ago, he contacted L6 all he did was pay shipping one way and they fixed the problem and even paid the return shipping. What was cool about it is the amp was bought used and had no warranty. He runs his head through a Krank Rev 4x12.

I owned several L6 amps over the years and when *I needed a few jack nuts I called them and they sent them (more than I actually needed) for free. So I can say L6 has top notch customer service
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
He had an issue with it 7-8 yrs ago, he contacted L6 all he did was pay shipping one way and they fixed the problem and even paid the return shipping. What was cool about it is the amp was bought used and had no warranty. He runs his head through a Krank Rev 4x12.

I owned several L6 amps over the years and when *I needed a few jack nuts I called them and they sent them (more than I actually needed) for free. So I can say L6 has top notch customer service

wow thats cool.