Hey all,was thinking to get a blackstar ht 50 but then got confused after realizing most guitarists prefer series one more than the ht series.They're both closer to my budget and i am really looking forward to getting one as i like the demos I've heard.And secondly , would i still need to get an over drive pedal or will the amp's overdrive be enough for metal and rock?
The series 1 is all tube, the HT series has solid state stuff in the signal path.
The reason why most people despise the HT series (and even blackstar in general) is that these are advertised as all tube amps, while in fact they aren't.

I have tried a couple of HT's and a series 1 100 6L6, and I'd have no doubt I'd choose the series 1 every single time.

You may want an overdrive to tighten the signal, but it won't really be needed for rock and metal or anything else really.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ I've heard some rumours that even the S1s might not be 100% all-tube (but obviously are a lot more tube than the HTs). Whether that matters,

And yeah you don't necessarily "need" an overdrive with most high gain amps, but a lot of players prefer them with an OD pedal than without, even if they don't technically need it. And having an OD pedal gives you more options on the fly.

(I haven't tried the S1 or the HTs, that's just general advice.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I've heard some rumours that even the S1s might not be 100% all-tube (but obviously are a lot more tube than the HTs). Whether that matters,

And yeah you don't necessarily "need" an overdrive with most high gain amps, but a lot of players prefer them with an OD pedal than without, even if they don't technically need it. And having an OD pedal gives you more options on the fly.

(I haven't tried the S1 or the HTs, that's just general advice.)

Having some ss technology in these amps doesn't matter that much to me unless it affects tone.. I've been playing a solid state for 3-4 years now,its not like i'll know the difference.I'm hearing more positive reviews of the ht 50 than the series one.I don't think I can go wrong with the series one,will there be a large difference in tone when we compare both these?
Quote by suhaibullah
Having some ss technology in these amps doesn't matter that much to me unless it affects tone.. I've been playing a solid state for 3-4 years now,its not like i'll know the difference.I'm hearing more positive reviews of the ht 50 than the series one.I don't think I can go wrong with the series one,will there be a large difference in tone when we compare both these?

Real or not real tube aside, I think the major problem with the blackstar amps is the price... you probably could get more for the money you're sinking in a blackstar amp.

Maybe you should check out the new Laney ironheart series, if it's available. They're quite a bang for the buck.
Quote by suhaibullah

The HT series is not good for the price. The series 1 is a pretty nice amp and way better than the HT series is.

The distortion on the series 1 is deff better than the HT, and so are the cleans
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It would take atleast 3 months to convince me to get anything but the blackstar now lol.. is the series one worth the extra bucks? Please tell me If there are things I would regret in it, because im gonna order it,I havent tried it before too..other than that what cabinet should i get under 400$ for it..
Quote by suhaibullah
It would take atleast 3 months to convince me to get anything but the blackstar now lol.. is the series one worth the extra bucks? Please tell me If there are things I would regret in it, because im gonna order it,I havent tried it before too..other than that what cabinet should i get under 400$ for it..

Honestly I wouldn't order a blackstar unless you paid me to. They are a lying, deceitful company.

But in your situation I'd get the series1 way before the HT.

Have you thought about any other amps? If you are not opposed to buying used you can get some really great amps for <$1000
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If it HAS to be Blackstar, get the S1.

As far as cabs go, are you willing to go used? Would you get a 212? A <$400 412 (new especially) is going to be hard and still get any kind of quality. On the used you could probably get a Marshall 1960 cab, maybe a Carvin Legacy cab.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Its gonna be mostly inside rooms.Though I do untend to use it for gigs,I was thinking 2x12 would be fine.and would the htv cab be good with it? And no,i will not go used as I always have bad luck with used stuff..
Last edited by suhaibullah at Aug 28, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Honestly I wouldn't order a blackstar unless you paid me to. They are a lying, deceitful company.

But in your situation I'd get the series1 way before the HT.

Have you thought about any other amps? If you are not opposed to buying used you can get some really great amps for <$1000

Well there are some other amps like the orange th30 and some jet city amps at thommans I looked at..But I dont know if they would be as versatile..
Quote by suhaibullah at #33571853
Well there are some other amps like the orange th30 and some jet city amps at thommans I looked at..But I dont know if they would be as versatile..

As a Jet City Owner they're pretty versatile. If the TH30 is like the Terror stuff it should be, but you may need a boost for it.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
As a Jet City Owner they're pretty versatile. If the TH30 is like the Terror stuff it should be, but you may need a boost for it.

Provided with an od pedal how good would the gain be? The thing about orange amps for me is the fact that theyre too middy from the demos i've heard and expensive as well.Other than that theres this Randall rd something which looked cool but then again i don't know enough about them to risk a grand on.
Why are you so into blackstar? I haven't tried the series one or the HT series, so I have no opinion on their sound obviously, but from the very start they have had very slick (some would say cunning or cynical) marketing. If you want one only because of the adverts etc., I'd suggest you be very, very wary.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Why are you so into blackstar? I haven't tried the series one or the HT series, so I have no opinion on their sound obviously, but from the very start they have had very slick (some would say cunning or cynical) marketing. If you want one only because of the adverts etc., I'd suggest you be very, very wary.

The reason I want to get blackstar is because its the only actual amp that is reasonable and available in Dubai too(the place where i order from)Most of the marshalls here are extremely overpriced(an 800$ difference) other than that i could go with a line 6.Keep in mind (I've only played a tube amp at a store) so its not like i would know how good or bad a tube amp is,this will be my first too.I'm thinking to get the s1 and upgrade my 200$ les paul copy with emgs or blaclouts maybe aswell..
Quote by suhaibullah
The reason I want to get blackstar is because its the only actual amp that is reasonable and available in Dubai too(the place where i order from)Most of the marshalls here are extremely overpriced(an 800$ difference) other than that i could go with a line 6.Keep in mind (I've only played a tube amp at a store) so its not like i would know how good or bad a tube amp is,this will be my first too.I'm thinking to get the s1 and upgrade my 200$ les paul copy with emgs or blaclouts maybe aswell..

In your situation the series 1 would be your best choice. As much as I don't like Blackstars marketing lies, the series one does sound pretty nice and way better than the HT series.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Series 1 is a higher level amp compared to the HT. I haven't played a Series 1 to say how that comes across sound wise but it is a higher amp level from Blackstar.

I would suggest for your 2x12 you take a look at the used market. There isn't much you can do to mess up a speaker cab - as in it either works or it doesn't, its not the same level of risk as buying a used amp because there are not nearly as many components to fail.
I could go with a new orange ppc cab (1x12) but right now I'm thinking to get the blackstar htv 2x12 cab so that i have enough money by next year to get the tremonti prs.Anything I'd regret here?
Quote by suhaibullah
I could go with a new orange ppc cab (1x12) but right now I'm thinking to get the blackstar htv 2x12 cab so that i have enough money by next year to get the tremonti prs.Anything I'd regret here?

If you can order from Thomann, I highly advise you get this cab, for the money it is hard to beat and it has V30 speakers which are an industry standard, if the shipping/taxes are not too bad
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

shoot them an email and see what the total price would be.

The Blackstar cab has pretty crappy speakers, I'd take the Orange PPC112 over it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
In your situation the series 1 would be your best choice. As much as I don't like Blackstars marketing lies, the series one does sound pretty nice and way better than the HT series.

Agreed. I've had the S1 200W and it's very versatile indeed, solid Clean to brutal Dirt. Also, it did fine as a bass amp (through an EV 215 bass cab) in a pinch.
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you can order from Thomann, I highly advise you get this cab, for the money it is hard to beat and it has V30 speakers which are an industry standard, if the shipping/taxes are not too bad
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

shoot them an email and see what the total price would be.

The Blackstar cab has pretty crappy speakers, I'd take the Orange PPC112 over it

This one seems nice and is pretty nicely in range too,after the orange and the blackstar a Marshall mx412 and this are the options.But I'm curious...isn't this Harley benton kind of cheap for a 2x12?
Last edited by suhaibullah at Aug 28, 2015,
^ it is, but it's very good value (probably because of the volumes thomann buys them in) and it's hard to go wrong for the money. it's a decent plywood cab, and has good speakers, for little more than the price of the speakers alone at retail prices. I'm not going to say it's the best cab of all time, but it's decent, and at the price it costs is getting into no-brainer territory.

Quote by suhaibullah

Ah no worries. Yeah that's fair enough. As rob says, the series one is the higher end amp, but I haven't tried either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 28, 2015,
Quote by suhaibullah
This one seems nice and is pretty nicely in range too,after the orange and the blackstar a Marshall mx412 and this are the options.But I'm curious...isn't this Harley benton kind of cheap for a 2x2?

That Marshall is loaded with the same speakers the Blackstar is Celestion 70/80's. So I wouldn't mess with it either

Yeah the HB is cheap, but it is a pretty solid cab made of plywood and not MDF like the Blackstar HT and the Marshall MX and it has great speakers. But the HB cab is cheap because it is the house brand of Thomann, the largest music retailer in Europe. So they can buy in bulk and sell a 2x12 V30 loaded cab for about the same price as the speakers alone cost retail.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
That Marshall is loaded with the same speakers the Blackstar is Celestion 70/80's. So I wouldn't mess with it either

Yeah the HB is cheap, but it is a pretty solid cab made of plywood and not MDF like the Blackstar HT and the Marshall MX and it has great speakers. But the HB cab is cheap because it is the house brand of Thomann, the largest music retailer in Europe. So they can buy in bulk and sell a 2x12 V30 loaded cab for about the same price as the speakers alone cost retail.

Thats great to know..do these vintage speakers react nicely to high gain? And is the hb a closed back cab?
The Vintage 30 name is a bit of a misnomer, they are fantastic for modern sounds (and they are 60 watts, not 30 )

That would be a fantastic choice, that or the PPC112 would be good. The PPC might not have quite as full a sound, though I haven't tried one extensively so I can't say for sure.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The HB cabinet impedance is 8ohm, just use that output on the head. Heads generally have outputs for 4/8/16ohm. Also the impedance has nothing to do with the wattage. Each V30 speaker is 60W giving a total load ability of 120W for the cabinet. That will easily accommodate the 50W load of the head.
Quote by suhaibullah
Thats great to know..do these vintage speakers react nicely to high gain? And is the hb a closed back cab?

They are the industry standard here are a (small) list of company's that use them in high-end cabs:
Mesa Boogie, Marshall, Blackstar, Orange, Engl, Framus, Mills Acoustic, Bad Cat, Hughes and Kettner, VHT
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ I think VHT usually uses eminence? But other than that, agreed. It's quicker to list the companies who don't use Vintage 30s (in at least some of their higher-end cabinets and combos) than those who do

Quote by suhaibullah

yep and yep. the v30 is pretty much the industry standard for high gain metal tones. as DC said, the name is pretty much completely wrong, it's not 30 watts and it doesn't sound vintage.

And yeah the impedance should be fine, the cab is 8 ohms. just set the impedance selector to 8 ohms on the amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 28, 2015,
Thanks all and jbtw will there be enough hi gain in the amp for playing Megadeth,Metallica and Ozzy? I won't buy any dist pedal.Tho i will get an od pedal
Quote by suhaibullah
Thanks all and jbtw will there be enough hi gain in the amp for playing Megadeth,Metallica and Ozzy? I won't buy any dist pedal.Tho i will get an od pedal

You should be fine, the series has plenty of gain on tap to get into new metal territory on its own

Your right Dave, the old Fryette VHT is eminence the new VHT is V30's

Here is a demo of the series 1 50watter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TzXmJTKdzyQ
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 29, 2015,
^ ah i forgot about the name change, i just assumed you were talking about fryette
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by suhaibullah
Thanks all.. wil get the s1 50 with the harley benton vintage cab now

It will be a nice sounding rig that will last you years
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a HT 50 and Love It! I play metal and hard rock. I love the cleans and distortion on this amp. It is a clean distortion not fizzy like marshalls. If you blindfolded people and play these blackstar amps and then their amps I would say they couldn't tell the difference
Quote by justinroark81
I have a HT 50 and Love It! I play metal and hard rock. I love the cleans and distortion on this amp. It is a clean distortion not fizzy like marshalls. If you blindfolded people and play these blackstar amps and then their amps I would say they couldn't tell the difference

Oh how wrong you are young one.

The HT series is not that great sounding, the distortion is a fizzy mess on those amps. Trust me my Marshall would chew up an HT and spit it out doing any style of music and I'm not a big marshall fan at all

besides TS is going for a series 1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 7, 2015,