Hey everyone,

I'm coming back to guitar after a pretty long break and I am rebuilding my gear setup again. Unfortunately I had to shift a lot of stuff a couple of years ago for money reasons but now I have the chance to get my gear back to a decent level.

I wanted to ask for your guys' advice in regards to pedals - I only ever used a Wah and a Tuner pedal in the past, and just as I was about to get more into pedal stuff I had to move and sell some stuff. Basically, I'm looking at getting some fundamental pedals - a Big Muff (of some kind) a Distortion and possibly an Overdrive too. so I got a few questions for you folks-

1. For the Big Muff, I'm looking at either the standard reissue 'Big Muff Pi', or the newer release (from 2010 I think) the Big Muff Pi with the Tone Wicker. At the minute I am kind of swaying towards the version with the Tone Wicker seeing as I checked out some videos on YouTube and saw a little more versatility coming from it - but my ear isn't that attuned to fuzz based stuff as I am just getting involved. I'd love one of these pedals to play some Black Keys or Gary Clarke jr type stuff, do you think they would sort that kind of tone and feel?

2. In terms of a Distortion pedal, I am looking for something that can emulate a crisp but heavy sound - a bit like Lamb of God's newer stuff if that is possible. I understand that a lot of the sounds that the guys in Lamb of God pull together comes mainly from the amp, but are there any pedals out there that can do a pretty decent job at it too?

3. Overdrive pedals... would I be better off sticking with my amp to get this kind of sound, (setup is at end of post) or do you think I would get a cleaner, brighter tone running through a decent Overdrive pedal? I try to play a tonne of different styles and stuff so I am sure I could get good use out of it, but if I don't need to spend the money because of what the amp can do then I'd rather not :P

4. Lastly a quick one.. do any decent budget Wah pedals exist?? I've read some scary stuff about cheaper ones... haha

Budget wise... probably $180ish or so for the Fuzz and Distortion, and obviously more if you guys believe I should go for an Overdrive too. I'm willing to go over that by a bit if it makes a good difference

As for my gear... amp wise, I am running through a Vox AC30 (hence why I especially kind of want that Distortion pedal to give me a little more versatiliy) and a Gibson Les Paul '04 standard. I occasionally use a modified Fat Strat too.

Sorry about the length of this post, hopefully the information is okay!! Thanks so much
I'll jump in with the last one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221856083233?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Morley makes good Wah pedals which use optics instead of standard wiring: no moving parts to wear out = very reliable. And at under $100, you probably won't find a better deal.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 27, 2015,
Below is what works for me, although they may not all be to your liking, but I do also have an AC30...
(You may have to adjust your budget a bit for some of these).

Fuzz:
Muff is a good choice, although I tend to change what type of fuzz I use on a fairly regular basis. But I build them so my options are more varied and costs are lower (I have a shit ton of parts to build whatever the hell I want).
Another fuzz that I really like is the Jordan Bosstone.
The Voodoo Labs Superfuzz is based on it.
The Ehx Satisfation fuzz is based on the Bosstone as well, although it has a component change that makes it a bit thinner sounding than a real Bosstone.
I never actually heard the Satisfaction fuzz, just going by the change made to the original circuit and my familiarity with it.
Going back to the Muff, if you can find one based on the Triangle Muff, I would go with that.

Distortion:
A Rat tends to be the go to distortion pedal for an AC30 for a lot of people.
Never used one with an AC30 myself, but plan to in the very near future.
Zvex Box Of Rock I have and really like, but that may bust your budget.
I'm also quite curious about the Suhr Riot. That gets into some heavy territory.

Overdrive:
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET or a Boss SD-1.

Wah:
The BBE Ben Wah sounds good for around $100 or so.

Again, most of these are what works for me.
They may not all work for you, but they are some you can try out.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 27, 2015,
Sweet, thank you so much for the invaluable information! As side note, does anyone have any experience with decent Octave pedals? More specifically I'm looking at the EHX Pitch Fork, it looks amazing
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'll jump in with the last one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221856083233?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Morley makes good Wah pedals which use optics instead of standard wiring: no moving parts to wear out = very reliable. And at under $100, you probably won't find a better deal.

^this
I actually just got a Morley Power wah/volume pedal. It is pretty solid and has a pretty good sweep. I have never really bonded with crybaby wahs, then again I haven't tried them all. I like my Vox wah and Morley over my Bonamassa wah, and the Bonamassa was the most expensive.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I'll take a look, thank you. Out of interest has anyone tried the Metal Muff ?
I have tried it, and i liked it...for 2 days, then my ears adjusted and I hated the thing. Sounded like a tin can full of agitated bees. Not a fan, I try to rely on my amps distortion/drive rather than a pedal though.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
that BBE wah isn't going to be cheap in the UK, unfortunately

pretty much listen to codemonk.

I have a genz benz black pearl, which I think is pretty voxy, but I've never tried it head to head with the real thing so I'm not sure quite how close it is. In my experience, though, less middy pedals tend to work better with it than really middy things like tubescreamers etc.

for the od, on the cheap, a digitech screamin blues, ehx soul food, mooer pure boost, something like that would work. there are a bunch of other fairly cheap clones of things like timmies which should also work, but I haven't tried them.

that's not to say that you want no mids at all, nor that for certain things a tubescreamer might not work, of course- you may love the sound of a tubescreamer with an ac30.

Actually now I think of it you can get od pedals which sort of do the tubescreamer thing, but which can also be dialled in to be more flat in the mids as well. That might actually be a better bet- e.g. digitech hardwire tube overdrive or nobels ODR-1- especially if you're only getting one pedal. on the very cheap the bad monkey would do it too, but I think those other two are better and aren't *that* much more money (granted, they're about double, but they're still under £50).

it's totally up to you regarding the OD- if you can stretch to one, they give you more options. You don't have to use either/or, you can use one or the other depending on the tone you want, and you can combine pedal OD (or pedal boost) with amp OD to give you a bunch of different tonal possibilities on the fly. Personally I don't think there's any need to spend tons of money on pedals in most instances (dirt pedals at least), there are loads of good pedals available for not too much money (under £50, and certainly under £100), unless there's a very specific requirement or tone you have which isn't available for cheap. In most instances (unless you're looking at the really bargain basement stuff), I'd rather have multiple cheaper pedals than one super-expensive pedal, you normally have a lot more versatility that way.

for distortion the digitech/hardwire valve distortion is pretty nice. on the cheap the digitech hot head (boss ds1 clone with a bass knob) works quite nicely, too. I know a lot of people hate the ds1, and granted it sounds good with the tone knob at about one setting (around 10-11 o'clock) but the scooped mids work well with a middy amp, I find. Of course, I might be weird. Again, though, I think the valve distortion is better.

I'm not that well up on muffs. I've got the nano one which is reasonable, though (from what I hear) a lot of people suggest getting one with a mids control so you don't get lost in the mix.

I'm also not that well up on wahs.

what type of tones are you after, out of interest?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 27, 2015,
Quote by CodeMonk

Distortion:
A Rat tends to be the go to distortion pedal for an AC30 for a lot of people.
Never used one with an AC30 myself, but plan to in the very near future.
Zvex Box Of Rock I have and really like, but that may bust your budget.
I'm also quite curious about the Suhr Riot. That gets into some heavy territory.

Yes.
Suhr Riot is one of the best distortions I've ever played.
It has quite a bit of gain on tap as well
On Black Keys/Gary Clark, Jr. Tones: yes, their tone includes some gnarly fuzz. However, a good, lo-fi/noisy/gritty reverb or delay can get you in that neighborhood as well.

Trashedlostfdup has this one:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_effects/malekko/lofi_ekko_616/index.html?no_takeover

In the meantime, Death by Audio's Reverberation Machine makes me want to grab my space suit and surfboard and ride the waves on Titan's methane seas, then play one of my Revs on the beach under a night sky filled with the reflected light from Saturn's rings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwexrkcErR0&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
On Black Keys/Gary Clark, Jr. Tones: yes, their tone includes some gnarly fuzz. However, a good, lo-fi/noisy/gritty reverb or delay can get you in that neighborhood as well.

Trashedlostfdup has this one:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_effects/malekko/lofi_ekko_616/index.html?no_takeover

In the meantime, Death by Audio's Reverberation Machine makes me want to grab my space suit and surfboard and ride the waves on Titan's methane seas, then play one of my Revs on the beach under a night sky filled with the reflected light from Saturn's rings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwexrkcErR0&sns=em

i love my malekko lo-fi. great pedal for sure, it may not add enough for your grittiness on its own though, but highly recommended. the oscillation can get pretty wicked, kind of like a ring-mod.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 30, 2015,
I have an Electro Harmonix OD Glove and I highly recommend giving it a shot if you stack with an Ibanez TS9 you can definitely get some wicked Fuzzy tones out of it as well!
Gear nerd. #nuffsaid hashbrown comon
The "tubescreamers" in my possession are the T. Rex MAB (Michael Angelo Batio) Overdrive and the Visual Sound (now TrueTone) Jekyll & Hyde. Both worth considering.