Page 1 of 2
I am looking to buy my daughter a guitar. I am torn between getting a guitar that is a decent entry level and then modding it as she progresses and between a smaller guitar (3/4 size) for her to learn on.
If she doesn't take to playing the guitar at all then I will be stuck with a guitar that will never get used and only resold. I just know that some entry level guitars are just garbage and sometimes can make it hard to play or learn to play on. If I get a decent entry level then I might be able to mod it into a guitar that I could use. I didn't learn on a 3/4 size guitar, but then again I didn't start until later in life.
Suggestions? I have no problem buying used.
Thanks.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
What kind of dad are you? Don't be a scrooge...give her your PRS.

Seriously, something like a higher end squire would be perfect, the most important thing is taking her to choose it, if she likes it she will play it. A 9 year olds perception of cool will differ from yours.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Get a normal sized guitar, something like this:
Squier Vintage Modified Strat - HSS

9yo girls have no problem with full sized guitars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqt68A_gnuU
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
That was my thought initially, something like a CV Squire or Vintage Modern. I will take her to look at them but was planning on it being a present, so if anything just give her choices.
Eventually, if she takes to it and progresses (which may or may not happen) then I do plan on letting her have one of my guitars.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
Line 6 M13
You can get a long way by getting her a guitar in her favourite colour. If it's pink, you can get a pink Bullet Strat. Not a particularly good guitar, but she won't notice the first period of time. Get a nice small amp to compensate.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
I was thinking about the amp as well. I know she will not want to play on my amps, a little too much, but those starter amps just make me cringe. I guess its the curse of forgetting where you started and never wanting to do that again. If only I would have kept all my crappy amps...said no one ever!
Line 6 M13
Roland Cube
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Don't forget: acoustics are guitars, too.

You may find she prefers the visual & tonal aesthetics of an acoustic over an electric. The smell of cut wood (like in GC's acoustic room) and the lightness of the guitar may also be a selling point.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
get an acoustic or a classical, depending on the route you want her to take. i'd say go classical, and rap her on the hand with a ruler when she does anything wrong, but that's just me

plus you'll save a lot of money on an amp, and a lot of headaches on her turning it to 11 or having a little too much fun with the gain knob
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
If she decides to gain it up I'll throw her on the Randall and the JF6550 and let her get her fill there.
I guess I did not go the route of classical/acoustic due to the neck being a little bigger not to mention I hardly if ever play acoustic so its hard for me to go there first. But I'll definitely consider that for her, heck she might love acoustic. Of course at that point I will have to disown her!
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
heck she might love acoustic. Of course at that point I will have to disown her!

But then again, she is a girl, they are the weaker gender.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
And I know it will be hard to hear but...if she likes them, remember that some Daisy Rock guitars aren't all that bad. Look past the girlie aesthetic and just evaluate them as guitars.

Also, don't be afraid to comsider used. Again, she may like something that looks like dad's old beater. Good deals can be found on clones, of course.

And Reverends...
https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?query=reverend&product_type=electric-guitars&sort=price%7Casc

(Best of all, if she doesn't stick with it, YOU get a keeper!)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 27, 2015,
^how dare you! Daisy Rock?!? Part of me just died. But, you are right and ultimately it comes down to what she feels comfortable with and if it draws her in then the more power to it.

I just don't want my love and passion for playing to trump her desire to get something that is more "her".
Line 6 M13
Quote by dannyalcatraz
she may like something that looks like dad's old beater

This sounds very wrong...
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Well played. That doesn't look too bad, I wouldn't mind too much if she wanted one of those.
Line 6 M13
I mean, OBVIOUSLY, it's just a starter, but...

I would look into a Squier VM Mustang or Jaguar. They're 24" so they'll probably be easier for her to play. For an amp, I would look into a Yamaha THR10C.
Quote by icanhasgodmode
Get a normal sized guitar,

9yo girls have no problem with full sized guitars

My suggestion is to buy a full-size guitar (perhaps one with a 24.75" scale rather than a 25.5" scale) and a cringe-worthy practice amp.

In fact, you'd be far better off to set a budget and ask HER what she thinks she'd want. If she's interested in guitar, she won't mind being dragged to a guitar store, but you don't have to actually *buy* it there. A really good asian import can be had from a number of sites. She'll think you're cooler for ordering it that way.

Whatever you buy, get it checked over by a tech and set up perfectly. She may not know, but some classmate of hers will. Oh, and peer approval will go a LONG way toward keeping her interested.

Several things are guaranteed to happen. She will grow, rapidly, and a full-size guitar will quickly make tons of sense. She will signal that it's time to get away from the cringe-worthy amp when she begins to borrow yours. That's when you'll help her with a better amp simply to save yours for you.

You need to make sure that she has links to all the hot chick guitar players just slightly over her age group. They're out there, they're shredding, and they've already been doing it since age 6.
^ sound advice. This was the way that I was leaning and I want her to be involved in the decision as well, if anything for just a bonding experience. For all I know she likes guitar because I do, which is cool to say the least.
Being an educator you are spot on with peer review. If others think its cool, especially at a young age, then it immediately becomes exponentially cooler. Im not sure if I have ever grown out of that, heck probably most of us on here haven't. Its the reason I own a Reverend and a RM100.
Line 6 M13
Definitely a full-size guitar but my advice is buy her as much guitar as you can afford. If she decides she's not that interested then you still have a great guitar and if she loves it then she doesn't have to start out on average kit and you won't need to buy another one when she outgrows it.

This is not the advice I'd give a parent that didn't play, but in this case it seems appropriate.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Don't forget: acoustics are guitars, too.

You may find she prefers the visual & tonal aesthetics of an acoustic over an electric. The smell of cut wood (like in GC's acoustic room) and the lightness of the guitar may also be a selling point.

I was going to suggest this, too. I see more kids come back for lessons and what not that pickup a fractional size acoustic more than anything. Fender makes a 3/4 Malibu that'd be great, as well as any of the Martin half size L series.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER

Quote by JELIFISH19
I would look into a Squier VM Mustang or Jaguar. They're 24" so they'll probably be easier for her to play. For an amp, I would look into a Yamaha THR10C.

I don't know about the Mustang, but I'd say absolutely not on the Jag. Great guitars for those who know what to do with them, but they take a lot of tinkering; I would say, not for beginners. Or for anyone who isn't a bit of an offset nerd, really. No need to add to the endless "THIS POS WON'T STAY IN TUNE" reviews on just about every site around.

Quote by Arby911
Definitely a full-size guitar but my advice is buy her as much guitar as you can afford. If she decides she's not that interested then you still have a great guitar and if she loves it then she doesn't have to start out on average kit and you won't need to buy another one when she outgrows it.

This is not the advice I'd give a parent that didn't play, but in this case it seems appropriate.

I definitely agree with this. Kids that start on something good spend more time learning to make real music and less time learning to cope with issues and limitations of their instruments (thinking about holding tuning most obviously, but not exclusively). And there's the benefit of having something decent if she gives up.

I would say, don't get her an acoustic unless she's solely interested in cowboy chords (and if so, nurture the hell out of that and don't worry - eventually she'll find more interesting things she wants to play or, if she doesn't, the cowboy chords will at least make her happy which is the end goal)

If she has more interest in electric guitar music, get her an electric. Acoustic may "develop technique" better - in fact I'm sure it does - but making that the priority rather than enjoyment just multiplies the chance she won't enjoy it and will give up on it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
If you do decide to go small scale there is the 22.75" scale Ibanez RGM55 complete with Wizard neck and DiMarzios stock. . . . .

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/usa/products/jumpstart/RGM55_SLB.html

I did this same exercise about a month ago for my 9 year old boy. Turns out he can reach the frets on my old Epi SG. . . . . Now if he will actually ever play it. . . .
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
+1 for a 24" scale guitar. Its only an inch and a half, but the neck and fretboard on something like a Mustang is very noticeably petite compared to a typical Strat neck. And the fretboard is much thinner than a typical 24.75" scale guitar.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I bought my daughter a Squier mini when she turned 6 (she's 17 now) it is a solid little 3/4 scale and it plays pretty decent after a proper setup
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I don't know about the Mustang, but I'd say absolutely not on the Jag. Great guitars for those who know what to do with them, but they take a lot of tinkering; I would say, not for beginners. Or for anyone who isn't a bit of an offset nerd, really. No need to add to the endless "THIS POS WON'T STAY IN TUNE" reviews on just about every site around.

I'd just like to add the caveat that a fixed bridge Jag would be excellent - the scale length is helpful and the body shape is one of the most comfortable designs out there; one of the few experiments Leo got spot-on there.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by metalmingee
If you do decide to go small scale there is the 22.75" scale Ibanez RGM55 complete with Wizard neck and DiMarzios stock. . . . .

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/usa/products/jumpstart/RGM55_SLB.html.

I have a couple of these Mikro's for my grand kids , there not too bad , real easy to do bends and such with it , Fender has a nice short scale but the Ibanez Mikro new is only 130.00 ish dollars , hard to beat that
Quote by JELIFISH19

that is what i came here to say.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 28, 2015,
Solid suggestions from all. I like the idea of the squire VM or CV, because if she doesn't take to it then I have a new guitar. But the glittery approach might be more her and ideally it comes down to whatever she deems "coolest" at the time. Its not like I plan on taking her in to try out a Dean Dime Razorback with flames on it. My guitars are all fairly modest and eventually she will grow into one of them (hopefully, although it would be hard to part with the Mira and Gibson DC).
Line 6 M13
Quote by K33nbl4d3

I would say, don't get her an acoustic unless she's solely interested in cowboy chords

I don't think it's fair to say that people might enjoy acoustic less, or would only be interested if they care about cowboy chords. In fact, when I play mine I'm rarely strumming four chord songs.

To beginners at my store I would wager at least 4 out of 5 start with acoustic. Bigger, more pleasing sound in the hands of beginners. True novices sound rather ice-pickish on electrics.

That sad, all I tell folks is to just buy the best they can afford on whatever it is the kid is interested in. The best guitar for a beginner is one that will keep them interested.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
I don't think it's fair to say that people might enjoy acoustic less, or would only be interested if they care about cowboy chords. In fact, when I play mine I'm rarely strumming four chord songs.

To beginners at my store I would wager at least 4 out of 5 start with acoustic. Bigger, more pleasing sound in the hands of beginners. True novices sound rather ice-pickish on electrics.

That sad, all I tell folks is to just buy the best they can afford on whatever it is the kid is interested in. The best guitar for a beginner is one that will keep them interested.

I don't mean to say she'd enjoy it less as such, but for those who want to play more complex stuff acoustic is a noticeably steeper learning curve which isn't helpful for those who tend to be easily frustrated which, for the most part, includes kids. I probably would have quit at some point if I hadn't invested what seemed at the time like a colossal amount of money on my first Squier, then my Epiphone and so forth... You're quite right, though, there aren't hard and fast rules and it depends mostly on the person playing the thing.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I don't mean to say she'd enjoy it less as such, but for those who want to play more complex stuff acoustic is a noticeably steeper learning curve which isn't helpful for those who tend to be easily frustrated which, for the most part, includes kids. I probably would have quit at some point if I hadn't invested what seemed at the time like a colossal amount of money on my first Squier, then my Epiphone and so forth... You're quite right, though, there aren't hard and fast rules and it depends mostly on the person playing the thing.

I bet a 9 year old girl would be thrilled to get the Taylor Swift Baby Taylor. Plus they are so damned easy to play, much better than the old shitboxes we learned on in the old days.

Frankly I'd start her on a uke
FWIW, I started to teach myself on an acoustic and got very frustrated due to having to be somewhat precise in order to get the sound I was after, not to mention most of the music I listened to was electric guitar based so emulating them wasn't an option.
Not saying you can be sloppier on an electric, but sometimes distortion hides bad technique (whether good or bad), but often gets "your foot in the door" with sounding like those artists. Granted over time I have come to thoroughly enjoy playing clean and have taken steps to be more accurate.
I think transitioning from acoustic to electric is easier than going from electric to acoustic, especially just in the position alone that you hold the instrument. But that is just my opinion.
Line 6 M13
I'd agree with most of that. I started on cello, then acoustic guitar. The transition to electric guitar- and a little fretless bass guitar- was probably easier than if I'd gone in the opposite direction.

Semi-predictable side note: all my looking at Triumphs to contribute to this thread has not only got me looking at those for myself (again), I also rediscovered the http://www.godinguitars.com/godinsdp.htm">Godin SD.

Damn!

Page 1 of 2