I'm running a '13 Fender American Standard strat into a Peavey Delta Blues 115. It's all tube. I really love the classic strat overdriven tone, you guys know what I'm talking about. That quintessential sound.

So far I've bought the way huge green rhino, the Boss-DA2 adaptive distortion and just not the Joyo ultimate drive. These are all highly reviewed overdrive/distortion pedals, and yet despite the tinkering I do with my amp and pedals knobs, I can't find anything I enjoy *at all.* It's really frustrating. Is it the amp? What should I do?
What type of tone are you going for? I'm not big on distortion pedals, the last one I bought was the Bogner Uberschall pedal and it was a waist of $300. It sounded good, but was completely missing the mark of what an amp would sound like so I sent it back.

You amp is a hybrid not full tube, but it sounds like you don't like it for the styles you are going for
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
What type of tone are you going for? I'm not big on distortion pedals, the last one I bought was the Bogner Uberschall pedal and it was a waist of $300. It sounded good, but was completely missing the mark of what an amp would sound like so I sent it back.

You amp is a hybrid not full tube, but it sounds like you don't like it for the styles you are going for

I don't think so...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I don't think so...

Your right, they did have an amp that was SS pre and tube power I thought and got it mixed up.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by RyanMW2010
I'm running a '13 Fender American Standard strat into a Peavey Delta Blues 115. It's all tube. I really love the classic strat overdriven tone, you guys know what I'm talking about. That quintessential sound.

No.

I know what I'm talking about when I say it but I have no way of knowing what you're talking about when you say it.

How about some examples, both of what you want and what you're not hearing in your current amp because that's a decent amp but it may not be (clearly isn't?) right for what you're trying to do.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
No.

I know what I'm talking about when I say it but I have no way of knowing what you're talking about when you say it.

How about some examples, both of what you want and what you're not hearing in your current amp because that's a decent amp but it may not be (clearly isn't?) right for what you're trying to do.

Sure. Going for SRV, John Mayer, Rory Gallagher type overdriven strat tone. I love the strat in the neck position and I love when it's overdriven and fat but still cuts through without being muddy.
Never tried any of the pedals you listed but a TS9 or OCD will certainly get you there. The amp is pretty sweet. It has good native blues OD as well on ch 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYHYgB1ljm0
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 27, 2015,
If you're going Strat > Green Rhino > Delta Blues and you can't get a good blues-rock Strat sound, I wonder if the issue isn't user error. Not trying to be mean! It just seems like you have the right equipment for your budget to chase the tones you're after. How long have you been playing, if you don't mind me asking?
I've played briefly through a DB 115, and it is possibly the best clean amp I have ever used. Since my use of "not clean" is very conservative, I don't know what to suggest in stomps, but I wouldn't think that the amp is the problem.

I'm no expert on OD sounds, as noted above, but my two are Bad Monkey for smooth and a Boss SD-1 (asymmetric clipping) for rough. For fuzz I'm happy with the LBM Pi, but I rarely use it.
What is it that you don't like about the sounds you're getting out of that rig, specifically?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
The Delta Blues is supposed to be Peavey's go to Blues amp. I've never used one but is this a volume issue?

Can you give us your normal settings? Maybe you need power tube distortion for the sound you like?

Are we talking bedroom or gig volumes?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
It could be a lot of things.

Maybe you're not digging the 15" speaker? Maybe it's just that stock 15" speaker that isn't agreeing with you? A speaker change in a Peavey amp can yield positive results. Some like the stock sheffield speakers, some don't.

Maybe it's the neck pickup in your strat?

Maybe a preamp tube swap might help?

Maybe it's your attack/technique - how you're playing?

You have a lot of variables to consider.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by metalmingee
The Delta Blues is supposed to be Peavey's go to Blues amp. I've never used one but is this a volume issue?

Can you give us your normal settings? Maybe you need power tube distortion for the sound you like?

Are we talking bedroom or gig volumes?

We're talking bedroom volumes right now unfortunately. I'll get the full readouts later, but I would hesitate to say that I've got the actual master volume below 3, which may be causing the issue?

I have to say, and this may be difficult to explain, is that my favorite guitar tone comes from an overdriven strat through a tube amp in whiwch you can actually still hear the "strings", so to speak. I hope that makes sense. Nick Johnston is an excellent example of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrLJSo9X2JU
Last edited by RyanMW2010 at Aug 28, 2015,
Well, in that particular video, he plays hard enough and the amp is quiet enough that you can actually hear a little bit of the acoustic sound along with the amplified. So, I hope that's not what you mean by "hear the strings". As for the tone, gear wise, I don't think I hear anything in that video that you shouldn't be able to achieve, or at least closely approximate, with your gear. For a lot of particularly expressive players though, they say "tone is in the hands". And Nick Johnston is DEFINITELY one of those types. Just watch his hands in that video. If you don't physically play like that, don't expect to sound like that, even if you walked into that room and picked up the very guitar he was using, still plugged in the way he had it.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
^ yeah the levels are very low that is why you can partially hear the acoustic ringing of his strings. That doesn't happen in real life unless your playing extremely quiet
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by RyanMW2010
We're talking bedroom volumes right now unfortunately. I'll get the full readouts later, but I would hesitate to say that I've got the actual master volume below 3, which may be causing the issue?

I have to say, and this may be difficult to explain, is that my favorite guitar tone comes from an overdriven strat through a tube amp in whiwch you can actually still hear the "strings", so to speak. I hope that makes sense. Nick Johnston is an excellent example of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrLJSo9X2JU

that vid doesn't seem to be very "classic overdriven strat tone" at all. now i think i know what you are getting at but i think you're going about it the wrong way. what you want usually comes from an amp that is being pushed hard and not so much from preamp distortion (or distortion pedals). now of course getting that at volumes that won't piss off the neighbors is a bit trickier. set the amp fairly clean and then set your green rhino up as a boost (volume 10, drive all the way off to begin with, tone to taste) then give it a try. increase the gain on the amp slowly until you get the sound you want (you may also have to tweek the drive on the pedal a bit as well. this may take some time but you should hit the sweet spot with a little effort.
I don't know why you bought those pedals, they're way off the mark...

There are two ways to skin this cat. Either transparent OD that can push the amp into distortion if you can achieve somewhat crunchy AC/DC rhythm sound on it, or somewhat transparent distortion that can do the same over a clean or almost clean channel.

For distortion that should do maybe look into the Sansamp/Tech21 series, I'd say the TRI-AC or Double Drive x3 series are really versatile, another one that I like it the HT-Dual by Blackstar; OD maybe Budda Zendrive. All these are loaded with features so that'll give you more tweakability and options to achieve the sound your're after.
My mate's old DB 115 worked very well at bedroom volume. Maybe those older ones had more low volume-friendly speakers than the recent versions.

Diabolical, good call. I have an old Sansamp Character, and it works really well through headphones,and can produce a wide range of useful sounds. It doesn't work so well as an amp stompbox, but the new ones have a speaker emulation bypass, so I would expect them to be good versatile FX boxes for low volume emulation of overdriven amps.
I would look into something more transparent like a Boss BD-2W or a J. Rockett Archer. You don't want a distortion pedal like the DA-2 and the Green Rhino probably adds too many mids. The amp already should be able to get a good blues tone. If you need more from it, I would look into boosting it, not adding distortion to it. But if you're not interested in buying new stuff, I would recommend going to the overdrive channel set the gain to the point where it's just breaking up. Set up the Green Rhino with a lot of output and very low gain. Work from there. The clean channel might work too.
Thanks guys. I think you're all right that I went about this all wrong in trying to get distortion pedals when what I really needed was a transparent OD. I DO still want to keep the Boss DA-2 for when I play 80's hard rock like GNR and the like, but I really am not a fan of the Green Rhino at all and will probably be trading it into my local shop soon. Interestingly, the Joyo Ulimate Drive is what has gotten me closest to the tone that I'm going for and has really outperformed the other two, much more expensive pedals, in my mind.
Quote by RyanMW2010
Thanks guys. I think you're all right that I went about this all wrong in trying to get distortion pedals when what I really needed was a transparent OD. I DO still want to keep the Boss DA-2 for when I play 80's hard rock like GNR and the like, but I really am not a fan of the Green Rhino at all and will probably be trading it into my local shop soon. Interestingly, the Joyo Ulimate Drive is what has gotten me closest to the tone that I'm going for and has really outperformed the other two, much more expensive pedals, in my mind.

the green rhino is a pretty nice OD, but use it as a boost not as a source of distortion: volume to max, Drive at 0, and tone to your taste. This will push the tubes more in the preamp. Try it before you get rid of the pedal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah use the amp gain, boost it with the Green Rhino like Robb said, it should do the deed
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
i am also on the camp to say to try the green rhino again, its a pretty nice and versatile pedal overall.

also, i had a delta blues at my studio a while ago that was a friends. i liked it, but i thought that the speaker was holding it back. i don't know if i ever ran it through anything different, but i really don't care for peavey's speakers.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/