This topic has been done to death but I've never seen the peavey vtm discussed specifically.

Firstly, I think it's my power tubes failing, their God knows how old, and my amp has suddenly been in consistant in volume and incredibly muddy. If that sounds like a non power tube issue let me know. My previous amp was cold cathode biased, so I could just throw a new set of matched ptubes in. I'm unsure about the vtm. It doesn't have a bias pot to adjust but I've also never heard it refers to as cold cathode biased. I understand there's a resistor that can be changed to adjust bias, I'd rather not mess with that, just hoping to get it up and running without paying a tech, if I can help it.

So, what's the deal with biasing the vtm? Can I just throw a new set of matched 6l6gc's on there or do I have to bust out the multimeter and learn to bias like a real man?

As a side inquiry, are jj 6l6s any good, I liked their el84s. Would tung sols be better or too bright? The vtm is already harsher than my mother's criticism. Halp me, I am crippled by my own ineptitude.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
JJ make the best 6L6's these days.
Not sure about the biasing on those but I can't see any way to adjust it on the schematic. I'd guess it's simply plug and play like most other Peaveys.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Put JJ 6l6 in it an get a few JJ ecc83 to throw in the pre amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Agreed with both above - JJ tubes. Don't be afraid to experiment other brands in the preamp section, but JJ ecc83 tubes will more than satisfy.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
the new Mullard cv4004 is also a nice pre amp tube
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Cool, not having to re bias makes things easier. I have tungsol 12ax7s lying around along with some sovteks, I'll have to mess with those a bit. JJs it is for the power section.

I need to see if my grandpa has any old Sylvania's too, I know he used to work for them in the 60s.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.