hey guys, i have a traynor ycv50 amp that's worked real well for me since i got it, but in the last 2 months or so after a while of playing on it, it fades out and then just goes silent. It's not particularly hot to the touch either, and as time goes on it takes less and less time before it fades out (about 8-10 minutes now).

My gut feeling is that it's the power tubes and they need to be replaced, and i do have them already, but i want to be sure before i go mucking about in the back of it. And if i do need to replace the power tubes, does anyone know if the YCV50 needs to be biased or not? Thanks
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Most of the Traynor lineup doesn't need to be biased, but I'm not sure about the YCV50 specifically. It should be in the manual. In any case, even if it does need to be biased it won't hurt anything to toss the new power tubes in for a few minutes to see if the problem goes away.

Try the new tubes and report back if nothing changes. Might as well replace the preamp tubes too while you're at it, at least for diagnostic purposes, and clean out the tube sockets if you're able.
after reading up and getting consistently inconsistent answers, Traynors own page says "Auto-balancing bias supply means no need for matched pairs of output tubes or bias adjustments, allowing extremely easy emergency tube replacement"

http://traynoramps.com/legacy/discontinued/product/ycv50blue/

however auto-balancing bias does not sound like "don't need to bias" to me. I have 2 matched sets of electroharmonix EL34's, so im ready to drop one set of them in whenever i know for sure they don't need to be biased because frankly i don't have a clue how to do that. My knowledge of amplifiers doesn't extend that far, lol, and i'd rather do it once and do it right then put them in and try to bias them later.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

And if this goes well im totally going to be addicted to trying new tubes lol
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

The phrase "no need for...bias adjustments" sounds definitive to me. Regardless of their goofy marketing terms, that sentence is rather clear in saying that you don't need to adjust the bias yourself.

If you're still not convinced you could always call them.
I went ahead and did it. Amp definitely sounded better, but right around the 10 minute mark, went wonky and the volume fluctuated and then went silent. Now im just stumped.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Check the preamp tubes just in case, then it's off to a tech.

Usually a time delay like that means that something is heating up and coming loose, and needs to be re-soldered properly.
Or, you have a thermally intermittent part. Meaning, that as it heats up, it creates an open circuit within itself and the sound goes dead.
The heating up and coming loose bit makes sense because if i stop playing, the sound comes back, but when i play it goes again. If i turn the amp off for a few minutes to let it cool down, it sounds fine again for another few minutes of playing then cuts out again. Looks like i'll just have to take it to a tech and have the problem properly addressed, she could use an all around tune up anyways. Thanks for the help guys
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.