Yeah I know you would suggest to play with a metronome (I do that regularly)
But is there any "Other" way to practice time and feel? I'm not a beginner btw, Here are some songs that I can play, Orion (Metallica), Back in Black (AC/DC), Soothsayer (BH).

But whenever I try to jam out with some backing tracks and Drum machine my Timing and feel is just not there, mostly like i can be on time then suddenly lose it. Is there an exercise that I should know besides playing scales and licks with a metronome? Although I'm not disregarding practicing with a metronome, it's just playing scales and licks over and over doesn't seem to help me with my timing.

Help me out pls
The answer is that you're using a metronome incorrectly. Try this: set the metronome at half speed and then play as if it is clicking on 1&3. When you get that down, play it as if it's clicking on 2&4, then the up beats of 1&3 etc.
hmmm good advice, any other metronome practice i should know? btw im self taught, I'm looking for an instructor atm.
This is kind of a tough one. Rhythm was always a sort of weak suit with me no matter how much I practiced with a metronome. But, you still need to do it.

It's a sort of feeling at a deep level. Where you kind of feel this pulsating and swaying with the rhythm. Your foot gets moving. I would suggest playing more slowly, feel the rhythm and try playing really authentic notes with feeling rather than a whole lotta notes. Then lots of notes will come when needed.

When I'm doing this and record it I can go into looking at the waveform of my playing vs the beat track (another good way of testing your rhythm pretty objectively). My attacks shown by spikes in the waveform freakishly line up with the beat exactly. Not even trying. Even down to the 32nd and 64th notes.
Meh this is the problem with most guitarist. They can play along perfectly to records, but can't play in time on their own or with a band; or metronome properly.. Playing along to a record is just parroting just because you can do that doesn't mean you'll be automatically playing in "time" for words to speak. An even bigger problem is that most guitarist tend to focus on learning a whole bunch of licks without any rhythmic conception about how to apply them.

If I were you I'd learn how to properly practice to a metronome. You don't even have to practice scales with different subdivisions unless you're trying to improve your technique. Just mute the strings, and strum away with different subdivisions. For example when it comes down to practicing different rhythms I start out with 8th notes then proceed to move onto triplets, and then I move onto quarter note triplets 8th note triplets then 16th note triplets. Then I move onto 16ths, quintuplets, septuplets, 32nd, nonuplets, then decuplets last.

What i'm doing is practically drumming exercises, but I've implemented them into my guitar practice regimen. All the subdivisions are at different speeds. Some aren't meant to be played fast I'll usually keep the metronome at about 50 BPM when I begin to warm up, to keep my timing in check, and ready for my practice session. It's great to practice these things, but when it comes to improvising or playing of some sorts.

All the practice tends to pay off because you can just naturally bring these grooves out without even thinking about it. Focusing specifically on rhythm is great because you can play one lick a million different ways if you have good enough rhythmic skills. You can also know a huge variety of licks, and sound the same with each individual lick because you have weak rhythm.
Simplify the hell out of it until you start to get more and more comfortable. I take my acoustic and mute all the strings with my fretting hand and just strum to the beat of a song or to the metronome. By not focusing on playing any actual notes I can focus on the "feel" or "pulse" of the beat and I can see what effects changing the pulse does to the beat.

Once I feel comfortable and in sync with the pulse then I start adding notes, see what I can do rhythmically with them. This technique can become really effective when you start taking riffs or licks that you're writing and start to see how playing those notes in different rhythms or accentuating different beats does to the feel of the riff/lick.

Edit: The poster above me nailed it 100%
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Last edited by LightxGrenade at Aug 28, 2015,
play to the drum track. many anticipate when playing along with the record because they can still hear the guitar. what you need to do is play to the drums and know where the chords fit over them. this means you have to actually know the song as opposed to once again anticipating as you go along. listen to where the chords fall beat wise and learn the song that way. you should be able to count it off in your head.
I've seen a couple of fantastic metronome exercises from Anthony Wellington and Victor Wooten respectively.

The first I've most often seen referred to as the "rhythm ruler" (I think Anthony called it "The Yardstick of Time & Groove" but unless you want to write fantasy novels I think rhythm ruler is eminently serviceable). Basically you set a metronome to a quarter note beat, and count it as 1-uh-and-uh-2-uh-and-uh... or whatever your preferred method of counting 16th notes is, and try to play a note on each beat several times. As in, for a few passes, you just have to do the "1", then a few on the first "uh", then the first "and", then the second "uh" and so forth. It quickly becomes very tricky, especially around the last few "uhs". That's great for getting a sense of the placement of notes in a bar.

The other one has more to do with actually keeping in time: Vic just "grooves", phenomenal bassist that he is, but you can do it playing a riff or improvising or whatever. Basically you start by playing over an quarter note click, then after a few minutes going for that, you "cut the metronome in half", which is to say you put it on a half note click, and play over that. Start simple, then build up the complexity of what you play. After that, you halve the metronome again, to a whole bar between clicks, and so forth. Great for learning to really maintain your timing.

I don't find this so crucial, but another exercise Victor Wooten demonstrates is to play to a quarter- or half-note click, but treat the metronome click as the second sixteenth- or eighth-note of the bar. Great for swung rhythms.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
you guys are really helpful It's really hard to practice these kind of stuff without any instructor or a friend who plays "better" than you that you can jam with. My playing is fair enough that people enjoy hearing me play, but that's just me playing with a band or a song. When it comes to improvising I'm just way off -___- I've focused so much on how to play fast and accuracy that I've lost track about my rhythm and timing (just like any other guy in a guitar store lol). Looks like I'm gonna put more time and effort practicing my timing.
Also try playing all the subdivisions like this 1 note per beat then 2 ,3 ,4(16th notes) 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 it will be really tricky at first just try it on a open string, then apply a scale. Start by Doing all the timings at 60bpm
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Aug 29, 2015,
Hi yehey. If you have a PS3 or XBox I'd recommend Rocksmith "jam" sessions. I'm not much of an improviser (have enough problems just playing accurately) but I can see how it would be useful for more developed players.