So I managed to save $800 to blow on a new bass, which I'm assuming should be enough for a decent intermediate-level bass guitar. Does anyone have any recommendations on good basses (brands,series) you've played/owned round this price range?

I've only ever played on a cheap Ibanez for the past 4 years so I don't have much knowledge on the good stuff, but I'm heading to some big guitar stores next week so I'd like a list of good basses to try out.

So far I've considered the Ibanez SR500 or SR700, Schecter Stiletto Custom-4, Yamaha RBX4-A2, ESP LTD B-4E, Warwick Corvettes and G&L M/L-2000 series. My two main options at the moment which I don't know how to decide between are the SR-700 and the Custom-4.

My only bane is chunky necks, I'm not a fan of the 'C' shape Fender JB necks. I'd like a bass where I can play and move around easily with a thin-ish neck and humbucker pickup(s), as I mainly play classic thrash metal.

Thanks in advance for your recs and advice, I realize I made a similar post a while back but my budget has gone up slightly so I need a newer list of options.

( . Y . ) <-- as promised
how do you edit signature?
Last edited by arvarna at Aug 28, 2015,
don't get a new bass for that price range, you can get a good carvin, ibanez premium, or kinkier with a little searching. you can usually expect to be able to find things that would typically cost more than double your budget
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
don't get a new bass for that price range, you can get a good carvin, ibanez premium, or kinkier with a little searching. you can usually expect to be able to find things that would typically cost more than double your budget

Definately look into used stuff. I recently picked up an $1100 instrument for $500, with case, and a $700 amp for $300. You can get crazy deals on all kinds of stuff. Although you do need a little patience and a little luck. But it is worth it in the long run.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
^ Like they say.

800 bucks is a GOOD amount of money to spend on a bass, in my opinion, but even so, if you go used you can often find pristine instruments for half the price. But if having a new bass is more important to you, just go to any store and pick one up and play it to see if you like it.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I'd definitely be hunting up a used bass for that money. Your options (and the quality levels) really open up. I found an older Lomenzo-style Jackson-style-headstock Carvin '89 LB75 five-string neck-through with active preamp, ebony fretboard, MOP blocks, in pristine Ferrari Red for under $500.

Honestly, I think I pay too much at the big box stores for new guitars.

If I'm buying new, I'm going to buy direct from someone like Carvin or AC Guitars (UK), where you get to pick woods and finishes, the guitar arrives at your door in-frickkin'-tune untouched by subhuman hands (you've heard them "playing" when you walked into a GC) and without the extra 50-80% tacked on for the privilege of paying for the brick and mortar's rent, pilferage, damaged goods, inventory costs, advertising costs, "expert" employee help, air conditioning and corporate profit.
Quote by Hail
don't get a new bass for that price range, you can get a good carvin, ibanez premium, or kinkier with a little searching.

Is "Kinkier" a brand name I've somehow missed?
thinish Neck. (Yes, I also do not understand the battish neck thing of MM and others.)

Ibanez BTB is perfectly thin for me.

If you want dark tone, the 1000 and current series basses will do just fine. 1000's are bolt on,
600 series are Neck through.

If you want a neck through that is not dark find a 500 series, used
If you want a bolt on that is not dark, find a used 400 Series.

At 800 dollars, that was the price of the used 1006 that I play, with the fretless job done on it. After importation duty it was about 880.

You can almost get 2 400 series BTB's for the 800 you have
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
i used to have a BTB1406E and that thing was butter. i wish i still had my hands on it, and it might be a stretch for $800, but it's possible. ibanez also has a lot of newer stuff that's closer to the $1k range, like the terra firma and the portamento
Hail,

Yes, that is why I did not suggest a 1400 Series, only the 1000 Series.

People ask about my technique now and then, like last night a couple of punk rockers approached me.

I explain that I have played since I was 9, so that is many decades, and I point at the 456 and tell them that it is that bass that makes me play like I do today. It is something different to play bass since 2006 when I got it.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Last edited by Sliide90027 at Aug 30, 2015,
Quote by Hail
terra firma

But it looks so awful. :\
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
But it looks so beautiful.

ftfy
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Enough said about the terra crappa and the pimento. Oh I thought one of those was the Goooline

I am not an Ibanez KoolAid Drinker by any means or stretch.

Just a BTB400 Series KoolAid Drinker choking down a couple of imperfections of execution.

I am not a Genz Benz KoolAid drinker either, just the GBE power amp sections and the NeoX 400 Preamps.

Now Boss Pedals....definitely a Boss KoolAid drinker.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Quote by theogonia777
But it looks so awful. :\

people who don't play bass wouldn't understand