Hi,

I'm going to buy my first electric guitar next week. I decided that I want to buy a stratocaster, but I don't know which one exactely. Should I buy a Squier Affinity (surf green) or is the Squier Standard (Cherry Sunburst) worth the extra €80/$90 ?

Or are there even people who strongly recommend a Squier Standard/Affinity Telecaster to learn playing guitar? These look better than a strat, but I like the clean sound of the Strat. (I won't play with a lot of distortion)

Thanks!
Ferron (16 years old, netherlands)
Last edited by ferronalen at Aug 29, 2015,
Buy as much guitar as you can afford. So yes, I would say get the Standard. From what I've seen, people who've played both more than I have tend to agree that the Standard is just a better-put-together product with better hardware.

As for Tele vs. Strat, there are a few factors to think about:
While the Tele isn't at all uncomfortable to play, the Strat is contoured more so it is more comfortable for most people than the Tele.
Another significant thing is just which one you prefer completely based on what it looks like and what you associate it with; even if an instrument's well suited to what you want to play, it's ultimately quite important to get something that you, personally, want. Strats are associated with a lot of great players, but then Teles are associated with lots of different great players too.
Personally, in terms of sound, I doubt there'd be any very great difference between the two if you were to go and play both yourself, but the Strat does have a greater array of tones available.
Finally, this is purely anecdotal so many people may disagree with me on this, but I've found that the simplicity of a Tele means that you tend to get more guitar for the money than you do with the Strat. I'm not sure this would hold true among Squier Standards, though, and it certainly couldn't be said to be an absolute rule.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 28, 2015,
well i think it's debatebable on whethere a standard is all that much better than an affinity at least quality wise. the standard has 22 frets and a 2 point trem. for many players the extra fret is needed and the 2 point trem is generally considered better. as far as the rest goes there isn't that big of a difference.

the tele is a different beast from a strat. they don't sound exactly the same so keep that in mind. you can't really go wrong with either though
Quote by monwobobbo
well i think it's debatebable on whethere a standard is all that much better than an affinity at least quality wise. the standard has 22 frets and a 2 point trem. for many players the extra fret is needed and the 2 point trem is generally considered better. as far as the rest goes there isn't that big of a difference.

The Standard has a full-thickness body, the Affinity doesn't (for the Tele I think it's something like 1.75" vs. 1.5"), and the Affinity's neck is narrower at the nut (1.6" vs. 1.65"). Should've checked that and put it in my previous post.

Also worth mentioning that for the price of the Standards, you can also get the Vintage Modified Cabronita Tele. Very different beast to either of the Standards, but I've always found there's an appreciable step up in quality between Standard and VM ranges (though I don't know whether that holds true for the Cabronita). Indeed, if you're willing to save a bit more, there's also a couple of VM Strat models, and I can vouch for the VM '70s Strat being a nice piece of kit.

^As Ippon said, if you can go used at all that'll increase your choice to some genuinely nice guitars - the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe ranges really are good stuff.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
The Standard has a full-thickness body, the Affinity doesn't (for the Tele I think it's something like 1.75" vs. 1.5"), and the Affinity's neck is narrower at the nut (1.6" vs. 1.65"). Should've checked that and put it in my previous post.

Also worth mentioning that for the price of the Standards, you can also get the Vintage Modified Cabronita Tele. Very different beast to either of the Standards, but I've always found there's an appreciable step up in quality between Standard and VM ranges (though I don't know whether that holds true for the Cabronita). Indeed, if you're willing to save a bit more, there's also a couple of VM Strat models, and I can vouch for the VM '70s Strat being a nice piece of kit.

^As Ippon said, if you can go used at all that'll increase your choice to some genuinely nice guitars - the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe ranges really are good stuff.

fairly minor on the whole. body thickness may have a slight impact on sustain. that .05 at the nut wh the hell is gonna notice. the woods used and the hardware are pretty much the same.
That's fair. I mean like I said personally I'd go for a used VM any day of the week.

And for what it's worth I started out on an Affinity and I've owned two VMs (I still have my J-Bass, my Jag I sold to my brother to buy a Tele). The Affinities and Standards aren't bad as beginner guitars by any stretch, but the VMs are good.*

*Disclaimer: I say this in just about every thread; whether my conviction increases or decreases my credibility is up to the reader to decide.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 28, 2015,
Quote by Ippon
Depending on your budget, you may even afford an American model.

I can't see that happening in Europe with his budget...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3
That's fair. I mean like I said personally I'd go for a used VM any day of the week.

And for what it's worth I started out on an Affinity and I've owned two VMs (I still have my J-Bass, my Jag I sold to my brother to buy a Tele). The Affinities and Standards aren't bad as beginner guitars by any stretch, but the VMs are good.*

*Disclaimer: I say this in just about every thread; whether my conviction increases or decreases my credibility is up to the reader to decide.

yeah given a choice so would i. my only point was that neither of those choices presented a huge leap from one another. the standard is the cheap version of the modern strat and the affinity is closer to the original pre 86 strats. really it comes down to whther you want that 22nd fret and the 2 point trem. most probably do
Quote by monwobobbo
fairly minor on the whole. body thickness may have a slight impact on sustain. that .05 at the nut wh the hell is gonna notice. the woods used and the hardware are pretty much the same.

I've got an Affinity Tele and a Standard Strat. I can tell the difference in the width. So much so that the Tele gathers much dust between playing.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by Stillhouse
I've got an Affinity Tele and a Standard Strat. I can tell the difference in the width. So much so that the Tele gathers much dust between playing.

maybe you just prefer the strat. . if the difference between nut sizes is as posted then i just can't imagine how anyone could really notice. but hey if you can then what do i know. not a tele guy so i rarely play them.
Don't think that's it. I've played Teles with a 42mm nut and they're easier to play. String spacing on the 40mm is just to narrow for me to hit certain open chords, unlike on the wider nut.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Hi, thanks for al those answers.

My budget is €290 because I don't want to spend to much on my first guitar ever. I just found out that a Squier Vintage Modified Strat has the same price as the Standard Strat. So I have to choose between these guitars:

http://www.bax-shop.nl/elektrische-gitaren/squier-standard-stratocaster-cherry-sunburst-rw

http://www.bax-shop.nl/elektrische-gitaren/squier-vintage-modified-stratocaster-3-color-sunburst

http://www.bax-shop.nl/elektrische-gitaren/squier-vintage-modified-stratocaster-hss-3-color-sunburst

http://www.bax-shop.nl/vaderdag/squier-standard-telecaster-vintage-blonde

I think I should go for the strat, because of the clean/bright tones I like.
So, Standard VS Vintage Modified. I guess VM wins?

Like I said; I like bright/clean tones and a little bit of a vintage sound when I'm going to play blues riffs, etc.
Last edited by ferronalen at Aug 29, 2015,
^ Are you setting your budget in stone because it's your first? It definitely is a bit of a paradox, and a total judgement call (you don't want to spend too much in case you quit, but spending too little increases your chances of quitting), but if you think you will stick with it (granted, that's difficult if not impossible to know if you have no prior experience with musical instruments), spending as much as you can (within reason) is definitely worth considering, rather than arbitrarily putting a limit on what you're going to spend because it's "your first". The big jumps in quality are at the lower end of the market, that's where spending a bit more gets you the most improvement.

Quote by monwobobbo
maybe you just prefer the strat. . if the difference between nut sizes is as posted then i just can't imagine how anyone could really notice. but hey if you can then what do i know. not a tele guy so i rarely play them.

yeah as he said, if you're one of the people who notices nut widths (not all do), then that's very noticeable. Especially if the smaller one is down to 40mm, that's getting down to very cramped indeed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 29, 2015,