i remember when i was living in london my dad got some tickets for a rugby match in t

wickenham.

he got them ause it was some sort of business client thing where it's all "hey good meeting here's free stuff so you are more likely to join us" sort of thing. Neither my dad nor myself had ever seen rugby. I was at the yhounger part of 15 years old, and all I knew about it was people had ears torn off or something

anywya, it's ungland v the all blacks (new zealand). We had no idea what was going on. figured out the basics as the match progressed, what a a try is, scrums, the passing, always movement

anyway, when i was twenty i was chilling in a place called runcorn and there was this family there that I got along with. the dad was welsh and the mum was just english i think idk. anyway, i traded him some ties (he likes ties) and he gave me a welsh rugby top. I still have it, it's an XXXL so it is absolutely far bigger than i, but it's a fun one to lounge in.\

anyway, here is a funny video of bollywood doing some real impressive rugby tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_mGZfzYl90

tldr the video is funny
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
a few years back a bunch of chaps would meet up at the church building and play rugby, there was always one person who ended up injured

and they had the gall to invite me, a skinny white boy, to play. l0l
Quote by Will Lane
a few years back a bunch of chaps would meet up at the church building and play rugby, there was always one person who ended up injured

and they had the gall to invite me, a skinny white boy, to play. l0l

Probably more to do with none of them knowing how to tackle properly.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
No, probably more to do with them all being malnourished english waifs
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Pastafarian96
Which is why the English suck at rugby.

Wallabies

Were you even born when the Wallabies last had the Bledisloe mate?
Quote by Rebel Scum
Were you even born when the Wallabies last had the Bledisloe mate?

Probably not but 'Straya.

EDIT: I was born, but I was 6 (2002).
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Aug 29, 2015,
Jarryd Hayne is gonna do a mediocre job in the NFL though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Remember that episode of Rocket Power where they were gonna play some rugby and the girl wanted to play and they didn't let her? this is why we need feminism
I never totally understood the rules or what I was supposed to be doing, but I still like saying I played rugby
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I never totally understood the rules or what I was supposed to be doing, but I still like saying I played rugby

rugby basic mode: try to tackle guy with the ball, don't pass forward. that will get you through most of it.

american football basic mode is similar from what I've seen except you can pass forward and tackle whoever.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Some guy wanted a friend and I to play intramural (aka 'for free') and we told him to pound sand.

The Australian version seemed decent enough to watch for a minute, however.
Quote by Acϵ♠
No, probably more to do with them all being malnourished english waifs
waif also a lot of them were kinda bulky. maybe they wanted to pick on me.

also another thought, i feel like rugby is for those guys who have a lot of pent-up aggression and are also those frat-like-but-not-in-a-frat college guys that are kinda annoying by how much they sport. and that feeling is confirmed by my experience.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 29, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
waif also a lot of them were kinda bulky. maybe they wanted to pick on me.

also another thought, i feel like rugby is for those guys who have a lot of pent-up aggression and are also those frat-like-but-not-in-a-frat college guys that are kinda annoying by how much they sport. and that feeling is confirmed by my experience.

Rugger buggers, you mean?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by theguitarist
american football basic mode is similar from what I've seen except you can [...] and tackle whoever.

Not true. You can really only tackle the guy with the ball. You do have a limited ability to hit other players, but there are restrictions, mostly when blocking. Another example is that you can hit 5he quarterback for a short period after he throws the ball, but generally in situations where momentum from rushing him (when he still has the ball) would make it difficult to avoid hitting him.

Otherwise hitting a quarterback late (especially when the hit is completely avoidable on the part of the defensive player) or hitting a receiver or punt returner before they catch the ball or in the result of catching (referred to as a defenseless receiver) will result in a penalty.

This has changed a lot over the years though. Back in the 80s they were much more tolerant in terms of allowing defensive backs to beat the shit out of receivers long pretty much whenever, although now it is illegal to do so.

This change is a big part of why quarterbacks are now throwing for more yards and touchdown passes than ever. It's much easier to have open targets down the field and much safer to throw the ball to them, making long passes a more viable option than in the past.

Otherwise it depends a lot on the situation. Offensive linemen for example have considerably more freedom to hit defensive players, but outright tackling and grabbing onto a defensive player (or any player that doesn't have the ball for that matter) is almost always illegal.

Even so much as touching a kicker (this usually happens with punters) is also forbidden during a kick. Though in some situations, either by design or by a broken play, a kicker may become a runner or passer, in which case normal runner or passer rules apply. Also after the receiver catches the ball, the kicker or punter becomes just an ordinary return defense player.

That's the main gist of who can be hit or tackled and when.

Otherwise the other major difference is how kicking works. Punting is used to get rid of the ball when your team converts and can't be recovered by the kicking team unless touched by a member of the receiving team first. It's not illegal to touch it, but it results in a dead ball, so sometimes a player from the kicking team will kill the ball intentionally.

Drop kicks are used for kicking field goals or extra points after a touchdown (PAT), but fell out of favor of favor when the ball became less rounded since its bounce was less predictable. A famous drop kick was made by Doug Flute a few years back (it was his last game before retiring and his coach wanted to give him a chance), and prior to that a drop kick hadn't been successful for 60 years.

There are other kicking differences too, such as place kicking being used when drop kicking would be used in rugby, and place kicking for field goals and PATs. There also are free kicks occasionally in American football, but they almost never happen because there is almost never a favorable situation.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Fat Lard
Some guy wanted a friend and I to play intramural (aka 'for free') and we told him to pound sand.

The Australian version seemed decent enough to watch for a minute, however.

Do you mean Aussie Rules? Because Aussie rules and rugby are completely different. Although yeah Aussie rules is a lot of fun to watch.
Quote by Baby Joel

anyway, when i was twenty i was chilling in a place called runcorn and there was this family there that I got along with.

Rugby is pretty much non existant in Runcorn these days but you don't have to travel far. Neighbouring towns like Widnes, Warrington, St. Helens and Liverpool all have plenty rugby teams, both Union and League.
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
it's that weird part where suddenly football is dead and rugby is the way to go (obviously excluding liverpool and everton). Once you take the bridge north into widnes, it's all about rugby pretty much.
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
it's that weird part where suddenly football is dead and rugby is the way to go (obviously excluding liverpool and everton). Once you take the bridge north into widnes, it's all about rugby pretty much.

In every town in this area there is an interest in soccer but people either support United/Liverpool/City/Everton. As far as local professional sports teams it's Rugby all the way. Wigan Athletic attracted some interest when they made it to the Premier League but that has wained as they've dropped back down through the divisions.
It's a shame that the game was lost on you. All Blacks v England at Twickenham tends to be a great occasion.

Depending on what year it was - you could have seen some of the greatest players to ever play the game, and maybe even one of the greatest rugby teams ever.

It would be like going to watch the 1961 Yankies while having no idea what baseball was, or watching the Bulls sometime between 95-97 but having no idea how the game works and being completely confused the entire time.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
It's a shame that the game was lost on you. All Blacks v England at Twickenham tends to be a great occasion.

Depending on what year it was - you could have seen some of the greatest players to ever play the game, and maybe even one of the greatest rugby teams ever.

It would be like going to watch the 1961 Yankies while having no idea what baseball was, or watching the Bulls sometime between 95-97 but having no idea how the game works and being completely confused the entire time.

I've always been a Rugby fan. League is my favourite as a spectator and Union as a player. I think that variety is important. It's good that there are places where Rugby is the dominate sport. How boring would it be if Soccer was the main sport everywhere you go?
Quote by rpd
I've always been a Rugby fan. League is my favourite as a spectator and Union as a player. I think that variety is important. It's good that there are places where Rugby is the dominate sport. How boring would it be if Soccer was the main sport everywhere you go?

Less boring than if it was baseball or American handegg.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Baby Joel

anyway, when i was twenty

Wait, you're older than 20? I always thought that you were 15 or something. I'm amazed.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400
Wait, you're older than 20? I always thought that you were 15 or something. I'm amazed.

ayy nice one lol
it's all coming back

h ah aah i like your dedication
it's all coming back