So I had my 50w EVH head on, with the volume at zero, then turned on my rack EQ (which of course I should have turned on before the amp) without putting the amp on standby. Got that thumpy/bassy pop sound out of my cab. I'm always careful to avoid this but today was evidently the end of "always."

Should I be worried about damage to the amp or a blown speaker?
Does everything still work or do you have a problem?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
not likely to blow up th eamp or speaker. just check everything and if all good then not a problem. just be careful in the future.
No issues, everything sounds the same, I was just paranoid that maybe something under the hood is likely to get damaged when this kind of thing happens, but I guess not, which is good news!
You probably shortened the life of your tubes by a few minutes. No big deal.
OMG OMG OMG YOU FRIKKIN" MORON!

There, I've successfully duplicated your self-denigrating initial reaction, right?
You probably haven't done any damage.
But I would make a suggestion (since you have rack gear already)...

You might consider adding something like the Carvin AC-120 to your rack.
It's your basic power conditioner (will handle up to 20A of gear, offers 10 outlets) that will tell you what the *actual* voltage coming from the wall is at any given moment, protect against surges, spikes, etc.

But it has one important feature.

You plug the gear into the outlets in the order that you want them to come up.
You can then set a timed delay between the outlets -- each piece of gear can be left in the ON position (including your amp) and the AC120 will bring them up, one at a time, avoiding a surge (and a blown breaker somewhere in your venue) and the aforementioned speaker "pop."

That's it at the top of the rack. Oh, and the two knobs? Those are handy pull-out lights that help you see what the heck you're doing on a dark stage.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 29, 2015,
Speaking of loud pops, I found this in a dealer catalog from D'addario...

I get the live changes part but cable noise really won't harm an amp... right?
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 29, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
OMG OMG OMG YOU FRIKKIN" MORON!

There, I've successfully duplicated your self-denigrating initial reaction, right?
You probably haven't done any damage.
But I would make a suggestion (since you have rack gear already)...

You might consider adding something like the Carvin AC-120 to your rack.
It's your basic power conditioner (will handle up to 20A of gear, offers 10 outlets) that will tell you what the *actual* voltage coming from the wall is at any given moment, protect against surges, spikes, etc.

But it has one important feature.

You plug the gear into the outlets in the order that you want them to come up.
You can then set a timed delay between the outlets -- each piece of gear can be left in the ON position (including your amp) and the AC120 will bring them up, one at a time, avoiding a surge (and a blown breaker somewhere in your venue) and the aforementioned speaker "pop."

That's it at the top of the rack. Oh, and the two knobs? Those are handy pull-out lights that help you see what the heck you're doing on a dark stage.

Yeah, that perfectly captures the initial reaction. I wish I had known about that cool delay feature on the Carvin before I got my ART (which also has those nifty pull-out lights and a digital voltage indicator). That kind of idiot-proofing is perfect for me.
Quote by Will Lane
Speaking of loud pops, I found this in a dealer catalog from D'addario...

I get the live changes part but cable noise really won't harm an amp... right?

neutrik has had silent jacks for a while

i never bothered, i figured it was something else to go wrong. then again, i don't gig and i just turn the amp off or to standby before changing cables.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?