Hey all - I have decide to sell my motorcycle to fund my strong desire to return to guitar playing after about a 6 or 7 year break (I've been playing my daughters accoustic here and there along the way though).

I played for about 20 years before quitting and was primarily a soloist with influences of George Lynch, Satriani, Maiden and Priest to name a few. My goal this time around is to get my chops up to speed and join a rock/hard rock cover band so I want my equipment to be ready for gigging.

Anyways, I am going to have $4000 to spend and I am looking for some advice on amps and effects especially.

For guitars, I am pretty set on getting the red 2015 Jackson DK2QM. I want to have a second guitar that can be used for alternate tuning and also to handle more styles of playing - for this I am thinking of the white Epiphone LP Custom and upgrading the pickups.

Here is my dilemma - I cant for the life of me decide on an amp. in my younger days when I played in a band I had a Gibson Les Paul and a Marshall half stack with some pedals but I am thinking maybe this time I would like a modeler like POD500 or maybe the Line 6 Vetta II with longboard. Would these modelers be good for a cover band situation? If not, what set up would be able to mimic the many different bands I want to play?

Lastly, I also saw an Axe FXII rig that included a power amp and a 2x12 FRFR cab but getting this would mean only one guitar and also paying above my budget for a midi pedalboard (an axe one is nearly a thousand dollars).

Sorry for the long post......I hope I can get some good constructive advice. I just want to have some nice gear and be gig ready for when I am ready.

THANKS
i don't have any experience with those high-end modellers. I dare say they're worth considering if you want handiness, but I don't know anything about them

if you want to look at tubes you probably want something either hot-rod marshally or soldanoey for those 80s metal type tones. I haven't tried them but the CAE OD100 has a really good rep, as do splawns (both hot-rod marshally i think). Probably a bunch of other options for hot-rod marshally stuff in the USA (I'm in Europe so I'm not as well up on what's available). Soldanos are really good too, or on the cheap you have jet city.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i don't have any experience with those high-end modellers. I dare say they're worth considering if you want handiness, but I don't know anything about them

if you want to look at tubes you probably want something either hot-rod marshally or soldanoey for those 80s metal type tones. I haven't tried them but the CAE OD100 has a really good rep, as do splawns (both hot-rod marshally i think). Probably a bunch of other options for hot-rod marshally stuff in the USA (I'm in Europe so I'm not as well up on what's available). Soldanos are really good too, or on the cheap you have jet city.

Yeah I will check out those type of amps for sure. I am gonna try a lot before I buy. I'll prob get the guitars first and then take them to the amps to try out.
Another option would be the way that I've gone. Buy yourself a used Randall RM100 and an assortment of tube preamp modules from these guys:
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
At that budget I would be asking myself why not buy two amps.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
i love my splawns. definitely worth a look. absolutely wicked.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
yep, Splawns are awesome also check out a used Mesa MarkIV or V

You should look at a used PRS CE24 for your guitar though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So roughly how much are you going to have for an amp?? is the 4k for your entire rig including guitars or just the amp??

Either way with that budget you have a lot of options. Hard rock/metal I would look at splawn/Mesa Stiletto series/Friedman/Marshall JCM800/Soldano SLO
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
If you ultimately want to be in a band, get an amp. Modellers are way more useful for recording and practice than gigging. I have an HD500x for recording and bedroom, but always use my amp live.

but...why not both

I use the POD in the effects loop, lots of useful effects and dynamics there.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
At that budget I would be asking myself why not buy two amps.

he wants guitars as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i love my splawns. definitely worth a look. absolutely wicked.

I will take a look - thanks.
Quote by shredftw
So roughly how much are you going to have for an amp?? is the 4k for your entire rig including guitars or just the amp??

Either way with that budget you have a lot of options. Hard rock/metal I would look at splawn/Mesa Stiletto series/Friedman/Marshall JCM800/Soldano SLO

The 4K is for the whole rig - guitars and amp. When I first saw the jackson DK2QM in red I said that's the one - but now reading about it there are many saying the MIM jacksons are crap - so now I dont know. I was thinking that and an epi LP custom to have ability to drop d, etc. and different styles.

I will check out all those amp options - thanks.
Last edited by wazntme at Aug 29, 2015,
Quote by Tempoe
If you ultimately want to be in a band, get an amp. Modellers are way more useful for recording and practice than gigging. I have an HD500x for recording and bedroom, but always use my amp live.

but...why not both

I use the POD in the effects loop, lots of useful effects and dynamics there.

Yeah, even though I am finding out some use modellers for gigging too, I am just undecided.

Can you explain to me your use of the POD in the FX loop - I think I understand this to mean you use the true sound of a great amp and can color it with the effects only (not amp/guitar modelling). And I think it means that you can still have presets saved - is this correct? I hope so, because this seems ideal - having a great real and natural amp sound but still be able to have the ability to have many different presets for different tones.

And are you using the 4 cable method (which I dont understand completely) or direct in the loop?
THANKS
yes, that is correct. You can put it in the loop, and still get the amps pregain, using mostly modulation, delay, reverb etc preset on the POD. If you put it in front of the amp, you can use the gains, vol/wah etc. Versatile and good system, I haven't tried the 4 cable yet though.
yes, that is correct. You can put it in the loop, and still get the amps pregain, using mostly modulation, delay, reverb etc preset on the POD. If you put it in front of the amp, you can use the gains, vol/wah etc. Versatile and good system, I haven't tried the 4 cable yet though.[/QUOTE

OK thanks.
I 3ed ? the PRS CU24 as your main axe.

The only thing I can offer about MFX units is that they can sound pretty sweet, but be prepared to spend a lot of time tweeking. The Boss GT-100 might be worth taking a look at, if you're just looking for effects.

I've tried a few times to make the switch from stand alone pedals to MFX, but I just dunno; there's something about stompboxes
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Dave_Mc
he wants guitars as well.

used gibson sg 400 bucks lots of room for great amplifiers there
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
5150 III through a Mesa 4x12 loaded with vintage 30 speakers. Kramer Pacer for your axe action.

That's how you Metal.

Edit below****

I should clarify for budget purposes. Look at the EVH 50w head. Plenty of power to get the job done and a bit cheaper than the 100w head. If you want to go even cheaper, an old Peavey 5150/6505, while not as snazzy, can still get the job done.

Consider going used for the Mesa 4x12 as well. That should free up some room for a second nice quality guitar.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Sep 1, 2015,
^ If he wants to play that 80s metal stuff a floyd is pretty handy, in fact almost obligatory. But it makes changing tunings a pain. So he needs another for that.

I think he's bang-on, personally. It's one thing telling people to spend more on the amp when they've completely underestimated or outright ignored how important it is; it's another when they have good reasons for buying what they're buying.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As someone who owns (and is selling) a Vetta II, I can say for jumping back in and figuring out where your at and where you want to go, it will get you there. You can setup your own custom EVERYTHING. Amps/cabs, stomps, wah, speaker config, speaker type and on and on aaand on. But! And this is where I'm at, once you get down what you want, you'll want the real thing. Some guys swear by and gig with the Vettas but the way I see it is if your modeling what you like, why not have the real thing.

Not really conducive to selling my Vetta but I couldn't help to chime in. Gluck man!
Quote by jedwards49337
As someone who owns (and is selling) a Vetta II, I can say for jumping back in and figuring out where your at and where you want to go, it will get you there. You can setup your own custom EVERYTHING. Amps/cabs, stomps, wah, speaker config, speaker type and on and on aaand on. But! And this is where I'm at, once you get down what you want, you'll want the real thing. Some guys swear by and gig with the Vettas but the way I see it is if your modeling what you like, why not have the real thing.

Not really conducive to selling my Vetta but I couldn't help to chime in. Gluck man!

Thanks. I appreciate the post. I am pricing out a couple used Axe FX II rigs but what it will come down to is which final set up I like....an axe fx ii rig with only one guitar or a vetta with multiple guitars (epi LP custom and jackson DK2QM for flexibility). Leaning to Axe with Epi to start......we'll see. Neither set-up is the real thing but both are good in their own right.
Quote by wazntme
Thanks. I appreciate the post. I am pricing out a couple used Axe FX II rigs but what it will come down to is which final set up I like....an axe fx ii rig with only one guitar or a vetta with multiple guitars (epi LP custom and jackson DK2QM for flexibility). Leaning to Axe with Epi to start......we'll see. Neither set-up is the real thing but both are good in their own right.

i would go snax and one guitar over a vetta without much hesitation.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ If he wants to play that 80s metal stuff a floyd is pretty handy, in fact almost obligatory. But it makes changing tunings a pain. So he needs another for that.

I think he's bang-on, personally. It's one thing telling people to spend more on the amp when they've completely underestimated or outright ignored how important it is; it's another when they have good reasons for buying what they're buying.

drop down few and grab a morpheus capo if your going to use multipl tunings. they are absolutely increadible as long as your not doing something silly and going up more then 5 semitones. You can get them dirt cheap because for some reason no one wanted them
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
that might well be worth a try (I've never tried one)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?