I just got a new Ibanez AR420 and it has these extra pickup tone switches they call Tri-Sound switches. Just a little 3 position toggle for each pickup. I can not see the pictures in the manual well enough to tell what position does what except for the center (coil tap) position. Can some one familiar with the Ibanez Tri-Sound switch tell me what the all the way up position does and the all the way down position.
Other than this confusion I am loving this guitar. Much nicer than my old guitar.
I've got an old '80's AR300 with a pair of Tri-Sound switches and (I believe) super 58's.

The Tri-Sound switches allow you to select Series (standard humbucker mode), Parallel (still a humbucking mode, but it will sound a bit thinner) and single coil (usually a bit thinner yet).

The guitar's packed away and I don't want to wake the house at the moment to check which is what, but if the center is single coil, you should be able to tell which is serial and which is parallel pretty easily from there.
One final question then I am done. On a 'normal' guitar without that Tri-Switch how are the humbuckers wired, series or parallel?
Quote by Sunfist
One final question then I am done. On a 'normal' guitar without that Tri-Switch how are the humbuckers wired, series or parallel?

humbuckers are usually in series - the series position on your tri-sound switches will give you the standard humbucker sound.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Sunfist, I would be interested to know what differences you hear between single and parallel. As I noted, mine (Sd Jazz) sound so close I have to do a tap test to tell which is which. In some environments I can hear small differences in noise levels, but there has to be a lot of mains hum to really hear the difference.