Hi all

I have a standard Ibanez RG320FM which is equipped with INF pickups. I am going to replace the pickups with a higher grade pickups; Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio and I am wondering which sounds better with my guitar. Specifications are as follows:

Body: Basswood wit Flamed Maple top
Neck: 3-Piece Maple
Fretboard: Rosewood

I play hard rock and heavy metal.. most of my playing is with distortion but not too heavy. I am not into black or death metal or these genres.

I have a VS30R Marshall amp and BOSS GT-8 multi-effect processor as well in case this would make a difference

I noted that top Ibanez guitars are equipped with Dimarzio and also artists playing Ibanez use Dimarzio. However, I know Seymour Duncan are amazing pickups as well... thoughts?
Last edited by mockbel at Aug 29, 2015,
Hm, there isn't really a "best" option for pickups - both SD and DiMarzio are very popular and known for quality, and each has a pretty large choice of pickups which work well for heavier styles. It might also help a bit if you know what kind of tone you're looking for (fatter? sharper/more trebly?). Off the top of my head, the Seymour Duncan SH-4 (JB/bridge) and SH-2 (Jazz/neck) combo is very popular and very versatile for heavier rock or metal, or the SH-6 Distortion for bridge is also very popular, and a bit louder.

A usual suggestion in such threads is to take a look if you'll get more benefit from changing pickups or the amp, although admittedly I don't know that much about your amp, so I can't help here.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
There are far too many really good pickup winders out there to settle for SD and DiMarzio (note that I have both brands in various guitars). I've also got Carvin (check out the new Kiesel pickups), Bartolini, Bare Knuckle, Arcane, Tom Anderson, Suhr (Aldrich -- bridge only), Gibson, and a mish-mosh of other pickups in other guitars.

There are no "best pickups" for your guitar, and you probably shouldn't be buying based on random internet forum favorites. Get out there and listen to some guitars.
The PAF and Super distortion are a pretty classic combo, and the Air Norton and Tone Zone seem relatively popular. Do you have any examples of the sound you are trying to achieve?
Quote by OroborosYinYang
The PAF and Super distortion are a pretty classic combo, and the Air Norton and Tone Zone seem relatively popular. Do you have any examples of the sound you are trying to achieve?

This is the pair that came as stock on my Destroyer. They seem to take distortion pretty well, but also sound good clean.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by dspellman
Get out there and listen to some guitars.

I agree with your main point about there being many more good manufacturers than DM and SD, but it's pretty hard to try pickups from most manufacturers outside the big 3 on new guitars on shop walls- and even then, their most popular models tend to be the ones most fitted to guitars; when it comes to Duncan, for example, odds are the bridge pickup will be a JB almost regardless of the style of guitar, and for the neck about 90% of the time (I made that statistic up) it's going to be either a '59 or a Jazz.

Just most of the time you end up having to do a bit of research and then bite the bullet and buy something, often which you haven't been able to try first.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Kiesel (carvin) Lithium bridge pup is absolutely amazing if you are looking for alot of punch, clarity(even with heavy distortion), rich harmonics, and versatility. Sounds pretty good for your genres. Also it sounds great split unlike alot of pups I have tried.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/KL12B
Quote by dspellman
There are far too many really good pickup winders out there to settle for SD and DiMarzio (note that I have both brands in various guitars). I've also got Carvin (check out the new Kiesel pickups), Bartolini, Bare Knuckle, Arcane, Tom Anderson, Suhr (Aldrich -- bridge only), Gibson, and a mish-mosh of other pickups in other guitars.

There are no "best pickups" for your guitar, and you probably shouldn't be buying based on random internet forum favorites. Get out there and listen to some guitars.

Other than the already mentioned issue that it's a lot harder to find guitars which have other companies' pickups stock, most if not all of these are significantly more expensive. I'm aware that Bare Knuckle especially have an excellent reputation, but are pretty damn expensive. (At least over here, but if European-made pickups are more expensive in Europe than US ones, I'm guessing that's a general rule.)
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
i really like the dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire set on my ibanez. the tone zone/air norton is a close second.

one nice thing (at least last time i was in the market) is that with dimarzio will let you swap out ONCE for free if you are unhappy. so if you got something you didn't like, you could try something else and not eat $100. the super-distortion is ****ing sweet for 80's shred/hair metal. i am going to buy a d-activator set for another ibanez prestige i have one of these days, i just haven't gotten around to ordering them yet.

i am not a fan of the SD JB at all, and that seems to be all that you see in stores. i don't know what it is about it, but i just don't like it. i don't care for the jazz in the neck either, the '59 is much more my preference. the pearly gates are pretty good, and the custom custom, but i honestly wouldn't buy them for any of my guitars.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by TheLiberation
Hm, there isn't really a "best" option for pickups - both SD and DiMarzio are very popular and known for quality, and each has a pretty large choice of pickups which work well for heavier styles. It might also help a bit if you know what kind of tone you're looking for (fatter? sharper/more trebly?). Off the top of my head, the Seymour Duncan SH-4 (JB/bridge) and SH-2 (Jazz/neck) combo is very popular and very versatile for heavier rock or metal, or the SH-6 Distortion for bridge is also very popular, and a bit louder.

A usual suggestion in such threads is to take a look if you'll get more benefit from changing pickups or the amp, although admittedly I don't know that much about your amp, so I can't help here.

Does that mean that I may end up replacing the pickups and not feeling huge sound improvement because of the amp ??
Quote by OroborosYinYang

Mainly the sound of 90's MegadetH and MetallicA ... I am also looking for the lead sound more than rhythum
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i really like the dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire set on my ibanez. the tone zone/air norton is a close second.

one nice thing (at least last time i was in the market) is that with dimarzio will let you swap out ONCE for free if you are unhappy. so if you got something you didn't like, you could try something else and not eat $100. the super-distortion is ****ing sweet for 80's shred/hair metal. i am going to buy a d-activator set for another ibanez prestige i have one of these days, i just haven't gotten around to ordering them yet.

i am not a fan of the SD JB at all, and that seems to be all that you see in stores. i don't know what it is about it, but i just don't like it. i don't care for the jazz in the neck either, the '59 is much more my preference. the pearly gates are pretty good, and the custom custom, but i honestly wouldn't buy them for any of my guitars.

This is a kind of answer I was looking for man !!

So you are talking about this pair of pups?
http://www.amazon.com/DiMarzio-Petrucci-DP227BK-Liquifire-DP228FBK/dp/B008I6R3TO/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1440942484&sr=1-3&keywords=dimarzio+liquifire&pebp=1440942617658&perid=1QM3DTTJR9YAMJ6K3E8X

Is there a difference between Crunch Lab DP228 and John Petrucci Crunch Lab ??
In that case, I would stick with most of the suggestions we've already given. From what I understand (and my understanding is fairly limited), the JB is a fairly bright pickup and is more reminiscent of Megadeth. The Super distortion tends to have a bit more low end, and could easily handle smooth leads. I've heard that the Duncan Distortion has a slight grittyness, but haven't tried one myself. If you want that classic thrash sound, I would suggest avoiding some of the more modern high output pickups. Also keep in mind that even the lead guitarist will be playing rhythm right alongside the rhythm guy, so you want a pup that doesn't muddy up under power chords.
One more thing.. I noted on Amazon that some pickups say "for 42 mm nut" and others say "for 43 mm nut". Would that make a difference? Shouldn't any 6 strings guitar pickups fit??
Quote by mockbel
This is a kind of answer I was looking for man !!

So you are talking about this pair of pups?
http://www.amazon.com/DiMarzio-Petrucci-DP227BK-Liquifire-DP228FBK/dp/B008I6R3TO/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1440942484&sr=1-3&keywords=dimarzio+liquifire&pebp=1440942617658&perid=1QM3DTTJR9YAMJ6K3E8X

Is there a difference between Crunch Lab DP228 and John Petrucci Crunch Lab ??

I have that exact set. I don't remember the spacing, but either measure or email ibanez or dimarzio.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by mockbel
Does that mean that I may end up replacing the pickups and not feeling huge sound improvement because of the amp ??

Not really, it will be noticeable in case of most amps - as I said, unfortunately I don't know much about yours.

And the fact that this is the first "what pickups do you recommend" thread in AGES which did not evolve into "what new amp you should get" means that your amp is probably perfectly fine.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Quote by TheLiberation
Not really, it will be noticeable in case of most amps - as I said, unfortunately I don't know much about yours.

And the fact that this is the first "what pickups do you recommend" thread in AGES which did not evolve into "what new amp you should get" means that your amp is probably perfectly fine.

haha it is a rarity these days.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!