Hi, I am building my first guitar, and was looking for a wiring diagram for my 2 2-wire humbuckers, 1 volume and 1 tone. I ran into a problem however. All the diagrams I found involved a switch of some kind. Is it possible for me to use one of these diagrams, and just forget about the switches?

Thanks!
well the switch is inevitable considering you want to switch pickups, you can use a push pull pot as a pickup selector , mini toggle (on/on spst switch) or whatever. A blend or concentric pot would be fine too. But if there is no say 3 way toggle/blade switch routed into the body get the SPST switch it's the same diameter as import tone pots. You can also get "on/on/on" dpdt switches for custom wirings.

if you've got two volume this can be a better solution as you can adjust each pickups volume and lose the useless (to me) tone pot that 90% of guys I work on their guitars never use. The seymour duncan spin a split wiring (adjusts pickup output put simply) , torres mid scoop/boost and or the fender greasebucket mod (bass cut) are three alternatives I recommend.

the big problem is with say this wiring you'd have volume control over one pickup without any isolation. So if you added another pickup to this wiring it would be stuck in the middle position. A blend pot would solve this issue or a concentric. If you never use the middle position go with a on/on mini toggle switch or push pull and do the george lynch style wiring. The three way toggle or blade are very easy to visualize though I can copy and paste my responses about them.

the best diagrams are on seymour duncan to prove my point
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Aug 29, 2015,
hello,
as another alternative... you could buy a simple 2p3t (double pole double throw) rotary and replace the tone pot with it. this would serve as a les paul style toggle with the appearance of a knob instead of a switch (if that's what you are going for).
the two poles go to 3 on the vol pot (instead of from the pickup). each pickup would go to 2 of 3 throws on the rotary. just a thought.
I am having the same problem: a lack of wiring diagrams.

I would like my guitar to have this configuration for the three single-coil pickups:

A double-wafer 4P5T selector lever operating two sets of 5 configurations of pickups, each set chosen by a push-push volume pot.

With volume pot IN, the selector lever operates exactly like a standard Stratocaster 5-way lever:
Position 1 - Bridge
Position 2 - Bridge + Middle
Position 3 - Middle
Position 4 - Middle + Neck
Position 5 - Neck

With volume pot OUT, the selector lever operates thus:
Position 1 - Bridge + Neck
Position 2 - Bridge + Middle + Neck
Position 3 - Bridge + Neck (reverse phase)
Position 4 - Middle + Neck (reverse phase)
Position 5 - Bridge + Neck (in series)

Is this possible? If so, who can make a wiring diagram for this, please?
Quote by advertanswer
I am having the same problem: a lack of wiring diagrams.

I would like my guitar to have this configuration for the three single-coil pickups:

A double-wafer 4P5T selector lever operating two sets of 5 configurations of pickups, each set chosen by a push-push volume pot.

With volume pot IN, the selector lever operates exactly like a standard Stratocaster 5-way lever:
Position 1 - Bridge
Position 2 - Bridge + Middle
Position 3 - Middle
Position 4 - Middle + Neck
Position 5 - Neck

With volume pot OUT, the selector lever operates thus:
Position 1 - Bridge + Neck
Position 2 - Bridge + Middle + Neck
Position 3 - Bridge + Neck (reverse phase)
Position 4 - Middle + Neck (reverse phase)
Position 5 - Bridge + Neck (in series)

Is this possible? If so, who can make a wiring diagram for this, please?

ultimate guitar should start paying me with my expertise

you'd need two push pulls for that to happen
one mod is called the 7 way mod , you can turn on the neck pickup in any position. I always mention the black strat david gilmour had for this.

phase reversal perhaps on the neck pickup only, the middle makes sense but yeah .. you mentioned the neck in each position. another alternative may be a fender S1 switch but we're going to keep it simple

ok so do this to the neck pickup if you play with the bridge pickup predominantly

and out of phase do this to the neck pickup with another push pull , you cannot do both with one push pull. the only way possible would be if you had a special switch with a 3x3 set of contacts in an on/on variation , triple pull triple throw on/on if they exist? it's been a while since i looked at them. But we're going to use a 2nd push pull pot for this as before i wanted it simple.

You might be able to find a wiring diagram on seymour duncans website with that setup, although it isn't very common to not have a toggle switch with the use of 2 or more pickups.