My other thread was poorly named and dead, so wanted to start another one. Want to buy a first electric, experienced with acoustic, i would say I'm an intermediate level player.
Budget(important): up to about $200
Amp: Considering the Mustang 20W
Styles/Music I Want to Play: Rock, Classic Rock, No heavy death metal stuff, normal clean songs like I would play on acoustic too
Important Things: 1. A guitar that stays in tune would be appreciated. Of course with my budget that's a bit hard, but still kind of something I want to have 2. A guitar that lasts me a bit, not like 10 years or anything, but until i can get another, better guitar.

Any other information, please feel free to ask.

Let the games begin
On that budget, you will need to shop for used guitars to get anything decent. Normally I'd suggest Epiphone, but you want to be going for the Standard models or better to get something good from them (Les Paul or G-400, probably) and I doubt you could swing that if you're limited to $200.

If you can't stretch that budget at all, I'd say find a Yamaha Pacifica.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 29, 2015,
I don't think they're quite under $200, but I'd look around or online for a used Yamaha Pacifica, a Godin LG or SD, a G&L Tribute, a Squier Tele, or an Epiphone LP of some kind.

One of those will probably give you the best odds of getting a decent instrument near your budget.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
LTD 50/100 series are good starter guitars, also, i'd try to find an old made in korea washburn, they are great and you can find them dirt cheap, mine came with grover tuners and a good floyd and cost me around $80.

i'd try to find a used/beat up good guitar that i could fix, it's the best way to get good guitars cheap.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
On that budget, you will need to shop for used guitars to get anything decent. Normally I'd suggest Epiphone, but you want to be going for the Standard models or better to get something good from them (Les Paul or G-400, probably) and I doubt you could swing that if you're limited to $200.

Very rarely I'll see a Epiphone LP Standard for $200 on Craigslist.

I really do like my EPI LP Special II. I've seen guys bad mouthing them on here but I really thought it was pretty good quality. On the other hand the issue most guys have is the quality on those models is "uneven", you could get a really good one or a shoddy one you have to return. Can get them for $100 or less on craigslist, often with the rest of the starter kit (the 12 watt amp, tuner, gig bag, etc). I'd suggest at least handling one and giving it a chance.
Quote by TobusRex
Very rarely I'll see a Epiphone LP Standard for $200 on Craigslist.

I really do like my EPI LP Special II. I've seen guys bad mouthing them on here but I really thought it was pretty good quality. On the other hand the issue most guys have is the quality on those models is "uneven", you could get a really good one or a shoddy one you have to return. Can get them for $100 or less on craigslist, often with the rest of the starter kit (the 12 watt amp, tuner, gig bag, etc). I'd suggest at least handling one and giving it a chance.

Yea that was one of my first options, but since people were saying it wasn't all that good, I was considering the Epiphone LP 100 which was in my budget because Musicians Friend had it in restock. So is it good? Does it stay in tune, and how long do you think it'll last. Also I've heard that a good amp is a big factor in good sound so i was thinking get a good amp, but an OK guitar, am i right?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

So I've heard that a lot of the sound comes from the amp, which is why i was thinking get a good Mustang and then get an LP special 2. And also, what are your thoughts on the LP 100. It's basically a step up from the Special 2.
The problem with lower-end Epiphone's isn't really spec, but more just a matter of QC. The 100 and the Special II can be alright, but there's an element of luck involved. That having been said, yes, I do think the 100 is worth the extra money from the Special II. The 100 is, to the extent you can expect at that price, a fully-featured Les Paul.

The reason I say you should try to go Standard or better if you want an Epiphone is that they genuinely are as close as you can get to the "real thing" for the money. Set necks (on the G-400 this is very apparent), decent pickups (even if, personally, I'd replace them), really good machine heads, carved tops (the Special II is flat-topped and lacks the maple cap, the 100 has the maple but I don't think it's carved. Not sure about that.) and binding on the Les Pauls, full-thickness bodies (the 100 is thinner, presumably the Special II isn't), and most importantly they are consistent.

If you can't manage the Standard, the 100 should be an alright choice, but I'd still see if you can manage a Les Paul Studio or a Worn G-400 at least. Both are set-neck and probably as close as you can get to Standard quality for less money.

The Worn G-400 has exactly the same specs as the discontinued form of the Standard G-400, which is the same as the Pro model that currently occupies the same slot in the Epi line but still using Grover tuners (these are really good, most of the nicer Epi models still use these; the G-400 Pro now uses Wilkinsons which I can't comment on) and without the coil split (I always thought this a bit of a pointless gimmick, but some people like it; sadly Epi pickups use a two wire setup when they're not set up for coil splits straight out of the factory so you can't do this as a mod).

The Les Paul Studio is somewhat different from the Standard, but mostly in cosmetic ways. No pickup covers, no binding, no carved top, no maple cap, but it has a set-neck and, again, Grover tuners, and the pickups have AlNiCo magnets (the Epiphone site doesn't say if the LP 100 has AlNiCos, but the general rule with such things at this price point is that if it doesn't say it has it, it doesn't have it.)

This turned out way longer than intended, sorry. The amp is, indeed, the primary factor in sound, but it won't make a poor guitar feel nice to play; as someone who's generally a proponent of Epiphone, I think getting an Epiphone with a bolt-on neck (not really because it has a bolt-on neck, more just a trend in price-points) is a gamble in terms of whether you get something nice that just needs a new set of pickups and maybe some new tuners to be gig-worthy, or something with crap fretwork, a switch that commits frequent suicide and a bridge that won't intonate properly.

If you find an LP 100, or even a Special II, that you can go and try and check everything's put together right, and has no issues more serious than maybe a dodgy switch, then feel free to jump on it. If you can stretch your budget, though, it will be worth it.

And since this is already longer than the essay I was meant to write while typing this up, I might just as well add the reminder that Epiphone isn't the only good option in the price range, well-suited though it certainly is to the styles you want.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 30, 2015,
The LP 100 is basically a glorified Special II with a clownburst finish and a full les paul control layout. Don't get it. The LP special guitars are junk imo. Horrible fretwork, very cheap construction, rubbish pickups. Bleh.

Get an Agile AL2000. It'll absolutely cream anything in that price range.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product6799.html

Then get yourself some free amp software.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by eragon1452
Yea that was one of my first options, but since people were saying it wasn't all that good, I was considering the Epiphone LP 100 which was in my budget because Musicians Friend had it in restock. So is it good? Does it stay in tune, and how long do you think it'll last. Also I've heard that a good amp is a big factor in good sound so i was thinking get a good amp, but an OK guitar, am i right?

I don't know about the Epi 100 but the LP Special II seemed pretty good to me. I was told by guys here that they have terrible fretwork with rough edges (not true on mine), I was told their tuners were crap....but they are okay on mine. The guitar doesn't go out of tune in just a few minutes like I'd heard either (although I've heard of defective tuners on these guitars). Did I get lucky? Well, maybe....but I doubt it. I bet my Epi is just like 99.9% of the rest that came out of the factory that day. On the other hand I wasn't too concerned about quality....I bought mine on Amazon and their return policy is nothing short of spectacular. Any problems and I'd have returned it to the UPS store and gotten my money back literally immediately (thanks electronic transactions!).

I guess it depends on what you are looking for....I wasn't looking for something to make a living playing music. When I got the EPI I was just wanting a cheap, honest guitar with great playability. I got it. The reviews on Amazon and Youtube are pretty much glowing. I have to wonder how long it's been since some of these guys badmouthing the EPI LP Special II have actually played one. QC is not a static thing....it improves or declines depending on a company's focus. Hyundai used to be crap cars, now they are good. Harley Davidson used to make the best motorcycles on Earth...now they suck.

I'd suggest you go handle the guitars, and give the EPI LP Special II a shot. If you like it, great, you just saved a lot of money. I will say this much....the amp that came with mine is....sufficient. For practicing.

Oh yeah.....isn't it funny how people ask for help selecting a guitar....and inevitably people start recommending stuff out of their price range? (glares at T00Deep)

Lastly..opinions are like assholes, aren't they? I've heard people crowing about how great Yamaha is for years. When I finally got around to shopping for a new acoustic I tried out many Yamahas...they all, without exception, sounded like shit. High terrible action on all of them and I can't say I loved the tone of the instruments either. Most people love them. Are all Yamahas shit? I highly doubt it....I think it far more likely that I just had the bad luck to not handle a good one.
Last edited by TobusRex at Aug 30, 2015,
Quote by TobusRex at #33574651
I don't know about the Epi 100 but the LP Special II seemed pretty good to me. I was told by guys here that they have terrible fretwork with rough edges (not true on mine), I was told their tuners were crap....but they are okay on mine. The guitar doesn't go out of tune in just a few minutes like I'd heard either (although I've heard of defective tuners on these guitars). Did I get lucky? Well, maybe....but I doubt it. I bet my Epi is just like 99.9% of the rest that came out of the factory that day. On the other hand I wasn't too concerned about quality....I bought mine on Amazon and their return policy is nothing short of spectacular. Any problems and I'd have returned it to the UPS store and gotten my money back literally immediately (thanks electronic transactions!).

I guess it depends on what you are looking for....I wasn't looking for something to make a living playing music. When I got the EPI I was just wanting a cheap, honest guitar with great playability. I got it. The reviews on Amazon and Youtube are pretty much glowing. I have to wonder how long it's been since some of these guys badmouthing the EPI LP Special II have actually played one. QC is not a static thing....it improves or declines depending on a company's focus. Hyundai used to be crap cars, now they are good. Harley Davidson used to make the best motorcycles on Earth...now they suck.

I'd suggest you go handle the guitars, and give the EPI LP Special II a shot. If you like it, great, you just saved a lot of money. I will say this much....the amp that came with mine is....sufficient. For practicing.

Consider yourself lucky. I've played about 4 LP Special II's and every single one I've approached had awful fretwork, and razor sharp fret ends. And one of the necks had a small knot on the headstock. People hate on bolt-on neck Epiphones very consistently. Including many people who once owned them, and that is very telling because usually people are very proud of what guitars they own. The popularity of how hated they are exists for a reason. And it's not just the QC that gets hate. The design decisions they made get it too.

A bolt-on neck on a guitar that's meant to be accurately representing a Gibson Les Paul is an unacceptable corner cut. I can understand having dot inlays and no binding on the Special II as the Gibson LP Special didn't have them either. But the LP 100 is meant to represent an LP Standard, but that guitar doesn't have binding or inlays either. And that's just plain stupid given what the guitar is trying to represent.

'Getting glowing reviews' is pretty much meaningless too. Every cheap plank gets consistently glowing reviews because they're usually written by people that are very inexperienced, so they don't know any better. And hardly anybody wants to consider their guitars junk when they have just spent their hard-earned money paying for them. 99% of reviews are going to be very biased.

Even if you did happen to get an example that happens to play well. I don't see what sense it makes to get one when there are so many better alternatives. You can get guitars that have actual flamed maple tops, set necks, Grover tuners, full body & neck binding etc. for a comparable amount of money as an LP 100. Such as the Agile.
Oh yeah.....isn't it funny how people ask for help selecting a guitar....and inevitably people start recommending stuff out of their price range? (glares at T00Deep)

Being $40 more than the maximum budget is nothing to write home about.

When you consider how much of a better guitar the AL2000 is over any other LP copy in the price range in pretty much every way, it makes more than enough sense to go slightly over budget in this case.
Lastly..opinions are like assholes, aren't they? I've heard people crowing about how great Yamaha is for years. When I finally got around to shopping for a new acoustic I tried out many Yamahas...they all, without exception, sounded like shit. High terrible action on all of them and I can't say I loved the tone of the instruments either. Most people love them. Are all Yamahas shit? I highly doubt it....I think it far more likely that I just had the bad luck to not handle a good one.

Yamaha's budget guitars are very consistently made as budget guitars go. They might not be super inspiring tone-wise, but what is when you've only got $200 to spend. Playability is a lot more important. And I've had generally good experiences with their acoustics when I tried many of them out when my sister wanted to start playing, but didn't know what she was looking for.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 30, 2015,
Quote by TobusRex

We get that you've got a good Special II, and nobody's disputing that they exist. I guarantee you, though, if you ask any of the regulars here (that is, the ones who have experience behind what they're saying) the overwhelming majority will corroborate the experience I've had and the experience ^he's had - Epiphones with bolt-on necks are, in the vast majority of cases, of significantly lower quality than those with set necks. You've been told by someone who's played several of the things (and me, admittedly I've only played two or three Special II's in the last couple years, but I've done my time trying various other models at all points in the Epiphone range so I do know where they sit in the general trends) that they tend not to be that good, and you're responding with "well mine is good and I doubt any others are different", which quite simply isn't evidence.
Quote by TobusRex

This is all rather ad hominem and unnecessary, and more importantly adds nothing to the discussion.

In low-end guitars, small amounts of money can mean pretty big jumps in quality, and telling someone what they could get if they stretch their budget a tiny bit helps them make a more educated decision on how they're going to spend what are, ultimately, pretty large sums of money.

Your last paragraph is literally an objection to people sharing their collective experience in a thread asking for guitar-buying advice, so I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve there, but I've had several friends who started out on Pacificas, I've played a couple of those and I've played a couple in shops and in general they've been well put-together and sounded about as decent as anything you can get for under £200. As for action, let's be clear, no mass-produced guitar comes set up. It's impossible given the distance they travel from production to point of sale; a bad setup is entirely down to whoever was selling those things, and if you want low action you need to learn how these work:
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by TobusRex

Hey thanks this really helped and no offense to t00Deep, I'm sure he means well and wants to recommend a good guitar, but yea I kinda don't like it either when people do that. So are you an intermediate player that gigs and plays pretty well? Or did you just buy the LP for a hobby sort of thing. And also this is one of the first responses I've gotten not badmouthing the Special 2 lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
We get that you've got a good Special II, and nobody's disputing that they exist. I guarantee you, though, if you ask any of the regulars here (that is, the ones who have experience behind what they're saying) the overwhelming majority will corroborate the experience I've had and the experience ^he's had - Epiphones with bolt-on necks are, in the vast majority of cases, of significantly lower quality than those with set necks. You've been told by someone who's played several of the things (and me, admittedly I've only played two or three Special II's in the last couple years, but I've done my time trying various other models at all points in the Epiphone range so I do know where they sit in the general trends) that they tend not to be that good, and you're responding with "well mine is good and I doubt any others are different", which quite simply isn't evidence.

This is all rather ad hominem and unnecessary, and more importantly adds nothing to the discussion.

In low-end guitars, small amounts of money can mean pretty big jumps in quality, and telling someone what they could get if they stretch their budget a tiny bit helps them make a more educated decision on how they're going to spend what are, ultimately, pretty large sums of money.

Your last paragraph is literally an objection to people sharing their collective experience in a thread asking for guitar-buying advice, so I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve there, but I've had several friends who started out on Pacificas, I've played a couple of those and I've played a couple in shops and in general they've been well put-together and sounded about as decent as anything you can get for under £200. As for action, let's be clear, no mass-produced guitar comes set up. It's impossible given the distance they travel from production to point of sale; a bad setup is entirely down to whoever was selling those things, and if you want low action you need to learn how these work:

I agree with you too, and I would like to stretch my budget but me being 16 tmrw(happy bday me), I don't have much of my own money and my parents aren't willing to stretch the budget. So trust me if I could I would.
Quote by eragon1452 at #33574776
I agree with you too, and I would like to stretch my budget but me being 16 tmrw(happy bday me), I don't have much of my own money and my parents aren't willing to stretch the budget. So trust me if I could I would.

Are you willing to do chores or a small job in order to get the extra $40 you need? I'm sure your parents will think of plenty of ways in which you can earn a little bit more money from them, and they will respect you more for accepting that responsibility. Even if it's only a small one.

Seriously ,the Agile is such a better guitar than something like an LP Special II or an LP 100 that it doesn't even belong in the same category. You'll have a guitar that'll have far better hardware (and fretwork, most likely), nicer finish options, a flamed maple top (as opposed to a plain one for the LP 100), a set neck, full body and neck binding. For only 40 bucks more.

Such an instrument will look, sound and feel better to play, which will encourage you to play it more often. And with playing it more often, you become a better guitar player.

Trust me, that is a good economy any way that you look at it. It might be 'annoying' that people recommend guitars that are a little over budget, but 40 bucks really isn't very much money at all and the benefits far exceed that cost.

It's up to you in the end though. You don't need to be a gigging musician to benefit from having a better guitar to play on.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 30, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Are you willing to do chores or a small job in order to get the extra $40 you need? I'm sure your parents will think of plenty of ways in which you can earn a little bit more money from them, and they will respect you more for accepting that responsibility. Even if it's only a small one.

Seriously ,the Agile is such a better guitar than something like an LP Special II or an LP 100 that it doesn't even belong in the same category. You'll have a guitar that'll have far better hardware (and fretwork, most likely), nicer finish options, a flamed maple top (as opposed to a plain one for the LP 100), a set neck, full body and neck binding. For only 40 bucks more.

Such an instrument will look, sound and feel better to play, which will encourage you to play it more often. And with playing it more often, you become a better guitar player.

Trust me, that is a good economy any way that you look at it. It might be 'annoying' that people recommend guitars that are a little over budget, but 40 bucks really isn't very much money at all and the benefits far exceed that cost.

It's up to you in the end though. You don't need to be a gigging musician to benefit from having a better guitar to play on.

Yea I think you're both right in a way, I'll try to get some extra money and I'll also try the LP special 2 again just for kicks.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

There are several points to discuss from your post, but I'll just cover the above part in this message (the rest can be found in my answer to the OP).

You misunderstood where I was going. I wasn't making an "ad hominem" attack on anyone....everybody has their opinion. I was simply pointing out that everyone has an opinion and they can't all be valid. Just meant for the OP to check it out for himself and see how it feels/sounds instead of just assuming the guitar is a piece of shit because some guys say it is. I can assure you that the vast majority of people who buy those guitars are quite happy with them (going by Amazon customer ratings at least).

If you think I was slamming Yamaha Pacificas, that was not the case. I've never played one and I've heard they are pretty good. On the other hand I've heard how great Yamaha acoustics are for years and those are the guitars I'm referring to. My bad for not specifying, this is a thread about electric guitars. Yamaha acoustics are beautiful, but every one I've played had high action and sounded like shit. I KNOW they aren't all that way (from the adulation Yamaha gets from many people) and that I probably just played floor models badly set up by idiots at Guitar Center (several different occasions, including twice where I specifically wanted to get a Yamaha)....but my experience with them (Yamaha acoustics) is entirely negative at this point. Bad luck? Certainly, but that is how the cookie crumbles.
Quote by eragon1452
Hey thanks this really helped and no offense to t00Deep, I'm sure he means well and wants to recommend a good guitar, but yea I kinda don't like it either when people do that. So are you an intermediate player that gigs and plays pretty well? Or did you just buy the LP for a hobby sort of thing. And also this is one of the first responses I've gotten not badmouthing the Special 2 lol.

t00Deep suffers from the same illness we all do here...he wants to help He's probably quite right, btw, that the Agile is the better beast. It's certainly a very beautiful guitar, I love the inlays especially. Damn....that is a pretty machine On the other hand you will have to spring for an amplifier (included with the $199 EPI LP Special II "kit", along with tuner and a thin gig bag).

I'm not a professional, or even particularly competent musician. I wish I could tell you otherwise. I'm generally an acoustic guy and I play well enough for friends and family (hehe, my family actually thinks I have talent, lol), but that is about it. My experience with electrics is almost certainly inferior to the other fellows in this thread. That being said I do have a great deal of familiarity with QC on an industrial level. Enough of a familiarity with it to know that simply replacing one manager in a key position at a factory can make a dramatic change in quality.

Acoustics however.....I've learned a lot the last few weeks of trying out dozens of different guitars. If I was you...I'd get a used Taylor BigBaby. Best guitar in the world for the money
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

So I took your advice, thank god, and I discovered the beautiful guitar that is the Agile 2000. It looks amazing, stays in tue, and most importantly sounds amazing. I watched a comparison video adn review vids and it sounds almost like a Gibson Les Paul custom. Thank you a hundred times for telling me about this I will 99.99% probably get the Agile.

-Thanks again
Quote by eragon1452
I will 99.99% probably get the Agile.

Love it
Quote by eragon1452
You have one? How is it?

No I don't sorry. Didn't mean to take you off track I just liked your '99.99% probably' comment.

Good look with your guitar hunt.
Quote by SpiderM
No I don't sorry. Didn't mean to take you off track I just liked your '99.99% probably' comment.

Good look with your guitar hunt.

Oh lol no problem and thanks