I am building a 2x12 cab with Eminence governed and swamp thang. My question is, open or closed back? Almost every combo amp I've seen are open back yet every cab I've seen were closed. Not sure why. Any help with an explanation would be appreciated. Thanks
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
Why not build a cab with a sliding port that you can open or close, or open just a bit.
closed back cabs have better, tighter bass response than open back cabs.

closed back cabs are pretty standard for heavier styles of rock
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ yeah.

this is a gross over-generalisation, but if you're playing lighter styles, go open-backed. If you're playing heavier styles, go closed-backed.

Or as Tempoe says, put a convertible back on it and have the best of both worlds.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a traynor 50w 2x12 cab that has a couple of panels I can remove. You should look into something like that.

One cover is on, one off.
Last edited by esky15 at Aug 30, 2015,
Quote by esky15
I have a traynor 50w 2x12 cab that has a couple of panels I can remove. You should look into something like that.

One cover is on, one off.

~Pics

Is that the one with Greenbacks in it?
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Quote by eoj02
I am building a 2x12 cab with Eminence governed and swamp thang. My question is, open or closed back? Almost every combo amp I've seen are open back yet every cab I've seen were closed. Not sure why. Any help with an explanation would be appreciated. Thanks

You'll rarely see a cabinet with an amp (particularly a tube amp) enclosed due to the probability of heat buildup from the amp.
Quote by dspellman
You'll rarely see a cabinet with an amp (particularly a tube amp) enclosed due to the probability of heat buildup from the amp.

Yet another virtue of head/cab units v. combos, albeit rarely mentioned.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by the chemist
Is that the one with Greenbacks in it?

Yes sir it is.
Quote by Arby911
Yet another virtue of head/cab units v. combos, albeit rarely mentioned.

Yeah. There are a few high gain combos with closed backs, but not very many.

Granted if you want an open-backed cab, then a combo can make more sense.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
One thing that you have to learn about open-back cabinets is that the wonderfulness that you hear in a closed room or with the amp near a wall or close to you while you're playing is that the audience will never hear all that. They'll only ever hear what comes straight off the front of the speaker (and, well, moreso if you're miked).

You may get a TINY bit of extra bottom out of a closed back cabinet, but again, it's not going to be anything that your audience will hear much of. The real benefit of a closed back cabinet with guitar speakers stuffed in it is that the back of the speakers (and the wiring) are protected by the back on the cabinet.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah. There are a few high gain combos with closed backs, but not very many.

Granted if you want an open-backed cab, then a combo can make more sense.

Yeah, but only the speaker part is closed back, the amp part is still open for ventilation
like the Peavey 5150/6505 2x12, EVH 2x12, Krank combos. But your right, not a lot of them to choose from.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ Yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Closed back- Tighter more controlled bass and more directional sound from the cab.
(Marshall, Orange, HiWatt head/cab designs)

Open back- More open sound, less controlled bass, tends to be more stage-filling.
(Vox AC 30, Fender Twin/Super/Deluxe, Mesa Mk series combo)

Who are your guitarist influences and which cab do they choose? Do that.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY