Heya, I really like Sigur Ros and I think that Jónsi's guitar bowing technique is amazing and I would like to try that technique too (the way he does it), I just have a few questions:

1st. Jónsi plays with a cello bow. Would this technique also work with a violin bow? I mean, the difference between them is the size, right?

2nd. As you know, the guitar neck isn't rounded so it will be hard to only play one string (low/high E) with the bow. What if I put a capo on all the strings except the low E? That would make it easier to only play one string, right? (I only want to play with the bow on the low E). I know I could change the action and the string height to simulate a round neck but a capo would make it more easy, right?

3rd. Should I get flatwound strings?

I don't want to play like Jimmy Page. His bow technique is not that good, he hits the strings with the bow which will cause much more damage to the bow and guitar.
I want to use this technique to create a nice ambient background music. I know I could just get an ebow but a real bow gives that special and different tone to your guitar.
What effects should I use ? Probably a lot of reverb and a bit of tremolo. Should I also use delay/reverse delay ?
you should look into a Sustaniac pickup.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.

Ambient Symphonic Depressive Southern Melodic Blackened Death/Doom Metal
1. I suspect the lighter weight of the violin bow will make it harder to get a decent sounding note out of it, since you won't have all the downward force provided by a bow held horizontally.

2. Yes, it will help. If you were to use a Spider Capo you could also probably get a decent kind of hurdy gurdy set up going for chording, if you wanted to.

3. It'll help. You'll probably still shred through your bow, though.

I would definitely suggest both reverb and delay to even out the sound. And always remember to get the rosin off your guitar quickly before it gets settled in.

Good luck
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I've only played with a cello bow so I can't comment on how the violin bow will work...
You can play both the E strings (individually, not at the same time) if you get the angle right. No real need to adjust the bridge unless you're still hitting the other strings. It's just technique and practice as to not hitting the other strings.

Also you will need to put some rosin on the bow, so it gives it some friction on the strings. Otherwise the bow will just glide over them and you won't get any noise. And also your strings won't last as long as they usually would, because the rosin will get onto them and it creates a coating a bit of a coating. It's a little messy and sticky, and dampens the sound a little.

Effects wise.. just lots of reverb and a bit of delay, just have a play around and you'll get something you'll like.
Quote by EntropicDiscord
you should look into a Sustaniac pickup.

Most dismissable comment on this thread...
Quote by misticone00
Jónsi plays with a cello bow. Would this technique also work with a violin bow? I mean, the difference between them is the size, right?

He uses that because it's longer than the violin bow.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I would definitely suggest both reverb and delay to even out the sound.

http://equipboard.com/pros/jonsi/#effects-pedals

These are all the pedals from the Rig Rundown. Keen Blade's right, Jonsi uses a rack-mounted reverb, but delay... not sure. There may be a delay setting on the M350, but for you, it would probably help you out. No overdrive, though. His bowing is clean, but incredibly loud. Get a GOOD amp, the lower-end ones will feed-back with all that reverb. Trust.

By the way he uses 1v rosin. Just in case you're wondering.