Hello everyone

(Sorry for bad english, i'm from Denmark)

I bought this used Ibanez RG a while back. The previous owner had done a really horrible yellow paintjob on it, that's why I got it for very cheap. It plays really well and i love it, but I thought that i would repaint it to make it look nicer.
I didn't really have a plan as to how i want to paint it, i just started to sand the paint down, like i always do with new projects. Then i thought that it would be cool if I could sand down to the quilted maple top that's on the guitar, and stain it. this is where i ran into my problem..
I have never worked with figured maple before, and i don't know much about, but it seems that sort of sanded through the figure? (again i don't know anything about it) It seems that i have sanded away the quilt figure on the right side of the body, while you can still see the figure on the left, where i haven't sanded that much. I thought that the quilt figure ran all the way through the wood..

My questions are: can i still make the grain "pop"? Can the quilted maple top on this guitar be saved or will it always look "flat"?
Hope you can help, thanks in advance
I'm guessing the quilt top is just a veneer that you've sanded through.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
^ bingo.

You sanded through the veneer. you can however buy a pice of quilt or flame maple veneer and redo the entire top
www.universaljems.com/cart/veneer.htm
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That quilt maple was a paper-thin veneer and you've sanded it to dust. What you see on the right hand side is not maple -that's the basswood underneath it.

You'll need to sand the rest of the top away and glue in a new veneer.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
ah ok, i didn't know that they even made them that thin. But i guess that i wouldn't have been able to sand down to it without sanding through anyway then, thanks for your answers, i'm still learning my woods haha
If those veneers are so thin, are they still good for absorbing stain?
Quote by GuitarRhiger
ah ok, i didn't know that they even made them that thin. But i guess that i wouldn't have been able to sand down to it without sanding through anyway then, thanks for your answers, i'm still learning my woods haha
If those veneers are so thin, are they still good for absorbing stain?

yes veneers take stain just fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate