I am about to go on vacation. I would usually drag an acoustic along with me, but I am staying in a fairly small house with 5 other people, who tend to sleep until late morning. I am an early riser, so I am interested in buying a headphone amp, so that I can play while they sleep.

I have been looking at the various offerings from Vox and Joyo. The Joyos are a lot cheaper, obviously, but their reviews are pretty mixed. Does anyone have experience with either of these? Are there any other manufacturers that I should be looking at?
Last edited by Fuzz Aldrin at Aug 30, 2015,
None of them sound good, so I'd get the cheapest.

Or, if you find one for a good price, a used pod x3 or pod hd bean.
These sound a hell of a lot better.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I'm pretty sure that they're all variations on one circuit packed for different brands.
Quote by Spambot_2
None of them sound good, so I'd get the cheapest.

Or, if you find one for a good price, a used pod x3 or pod hd bean.
These sound a hell of a lot better.

I have a HD300, but that's just one more thing to lug down there. I definitely don't expect world-class tone, I just need something that I can throw into a gig-bag. I think you're right, though.

I'm pretty sure that they're all variations on one circuit packed for different brands.

That's what I have been hearing. I'm really not that picky, honestly--I was just curious as to whether or not the Vox was worth the extra $20.
I have a Vox Metal Amplug and it sounds fine for $20-$30. . .

You may be happier with a Rocksmith Video Game cable, Peavey ReValver on your laptop, and some headphones though :-)
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
As well as pods, check out the Zoom G1on.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I just use an Irig and Amplitube on my iPad, which seems to work just fine for these types of purposes (it actually sounds fantastic through headphones).
Check out the Korg Pandora PX5D and the Korg Pandora Mini.

As a practice tool, the Pandora PX5D has things like a tuner, metronome, phrase trainer, slower downer, pitch changer, drum patterns, bass lines, etc., as well as amps/cabs/FX and more. There's also an input for an MP3 player and a USB output for recording, etc. These photos aren't in scale -- the PX5D is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, the Mini is much smaller.

http://i.korg.com/PX5D
http://www.korg.com/us/products/effects/pandoramini/

The Korg products look great, but they're a little out of my price range. A small interface would be great, and I do have Amplitube installed, but I will not have my Laptop with me. After doing some additional research, I think I may go with the new Vox AP2. I think that some of the new features warrant the extra $15 over the Joyo product. Thanks for the help, guys.
^^^^^I had a Korg/Pandora Px4, and thought it sounded excellent, but the design (switching) was very flimsy and it stopped working properly. I would have bought another on sound, but the construction discouraged me. Hard to judge, but the present ones don't look any sturdier. The stompbox version should be stronger.