Hey everyone, So I have a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo and last night while I was playing it started to sound weird and smell like it was burning then it "popped" and shut off.
I just recently got it fixed because it would turn on but no sound would come out of it. Any idea what it could be? Thanks.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
What do you mean you got it fixed?

What did they do exactly?

Could be lots of things but generally it sounds like a power tube blew and took fuse(s) and/or other component(s) with it. Do you have any more detail?

I got it fixed because no sound would come out of it through the main input, I'm not sure what they did but it was working great until last night. That's all I got for now, oh one dude said that tubes shouldn't be running too hot and mine were blue.
Unless the tubes were made that way they shouldnt be blue..id take it to a tech bro
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
What do you mean you got it fixed?

What did they do exactly?

Could be lots of things but generally it sounds like a power tube blew and took fuse(s) and/or other component(s) with it. Do you have any more detail?

Agree. Buy another set of Power Tubes and start replacing fuses. I'd probably start by inspecting the board and make sure nothing is obviously burnt but don't touch any of the capacitors - they can kill you if you don't know what you are doing.

If you're not comfortable just take it to a tech.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Also could've been an output tube screen resistor - if that popped, you're just gonna keep popping output tubes, maybe take the output transformer with it, and if you're really unlucky parts of the power supply.

Take it to a tech.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by jimihendrix6699
Unless the tubes were made that way they shouldnt be blue..id take it to a tech bro

Oxygen in the tubes can make even a good set glow slightly blue, part of the manufacturing process. Mine are always faintly blue.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
So I just put in a new fuse and power tubes and it's back up but the tone is weird. When I hold a single note it almost sounds as if I'm holding out a chord and when I do play a chord it sounds even more distorted.
Quote by devilmaycrykid
So I just put in a new fuse and power tubes and it's back up but the tone is weird. When I hold a single note it almost sounds as if I'm holding out a chord and when I do play a chord it sounds even more distorted.

Take it in to a tech. There's about 10 problems that could cause that, but none of them are good and all of them can lead to further damage to the amp.

The fuse is there for a couple of reasons - protect the amp first of all (and indirectly your living quarters so you don't start a fire). But one of the secondary "features" is that when it blows it tells you there's something wrong. Don't ignore this message.
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by DLrocket89
Take it in to a tech. There's about 10 problems that could cause that, but none of them are good and all of them can lead to further damage to the amp.

The fuse is there for a couple of reasons - protect the amp first of all (and indirectly your living quarters so you don't start a fire). But one of the secondary "features" is that when it blows it tells you there's something wrong. Don't ignore this message.

Alright thanks a lot.
Quote by devilmaycrykid
Alright thanks a lot.

Sorry, I know that's not what someone wants to hear, but I don't want to see the amp further junked out.
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by robertito696
Oxygen in the tubes can make even a good set glow slightly blue, part of the manufacturing process. Mine are always faintly blue.

Haha damn well you learn something new everyday
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by devilmaycrykid
I just tried a different amp and it sounds the same it sounds like I'm using an octaver effect.

was that in the same circuit as the other amp? same guitar? pedals?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
was that in the same circuit as the other amp? same guitar? pedals?
Yeah same everything.
Sounds like the issue could be outside the amp then wouldn't you say? What's your signal chain look like?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.