Hi! I'm writing some stuff. Here's a chord sequence:

The above chords were written for piano (hence the bass clef). I would like to know what this sequence is on guitar chord diagram. What are the names of the chords and, most importantly, how do you translate from a bass clef stave to a chord diagram?

Thanks!
First step is to identify the chords - look at the notes and determine what chord they make. you'll need to have a good understanding of how chords are built and named for that. From there you just have to decide what voicing you want to use. If you want to use the same voicing that's on the staff then you just play those notes on the guitar (possibly in a different octave due to the register of the guitar). For example, he first one could be played as 102xxx. Or you just take the chord name and play the appropriate chord in whatever voicing, in which case the first one could be xx3210 or whatever you think fits best.

F A E - Fmaj7
A C F - F in 1st inversion or F/A
G C E - C in 2nd inversion or C/G
B D G - G in 1st inversion or G/B

the basic open chords would be something like this:
0-1-0-3
1-1-1-0
2-2-0-0
3-3-2-0
--0-3-2
----3--

Though there are many other voicings you can use, and depending on the song and how you arrange it some other voicings may be better suited.

edit: ignore everything I said about the first chord, I misread it.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Aug 30, 2015,
D minor first inversion - F A D
F major first inversion - A C F
C major second inversion - G C E
G major first inversion - B D G

you can compare this to the treble clef by realizing the first ledger line above the bass clef and the first ledger line below the treble clef are middle C, so, for example, that high E in measure 3 will be the bottom line of the corresponding treble clef. you can do the rest of the legwork yourself
modes are a social construct
Name the notes. The first one is F A D, the second one is A C F, the third one is G C E and the fourth one is B D G.

Do you know how to figure out the notes on the bass clef? The clef shows where the F note is. It is between those two dots, ie on the 2nd highest line. Based on that, you can count where the other notes are.

But yeah, F A D - D minor. A C F - F major. G C E - C major. B D G - G major.

I think playing them that low (with these voicings) may sound a bit muddy. Also, it seems pretty jumpy.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine

I think playing them that low (with these voicings) may sound a bit muddy. Also, it seems pretty jumpy.

the lowest note is A2, which is 0 on the A string, 5 on the E string on a regular guitar. doesn't seem that low unless you're playing with heavy distortion or something
oops, I misread that D as an E on the first chord, so yea, that's Dm not Fmaj7. I blame the UG black style for making the image hard to see and totally not my subpar sightreading haha
I blame bass clef.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by Jet Penguin
I blame bass clef.

can't blame the bass clef on your arpeggios
Quote by Serotonite
Hi! I'm writing some stuff. Here's a chord sequence:

The above chords were written for piano (hence the bass clef). I would like to know what this sequence is on guitar chord diagram. What are the names of the chords and, most importantly, how do you translate from a bass clef stave to a chord diagram?

Thanks!
The chord shapes, in case you haven't worked it out, are:
----------0------
-3--------1--------
-2--------0----0----
-3---3---------0----
-----3---------2---
-----5------------
(Other fret places are of course possible)
you can't just give them everything, jon :-(
Quote by Hail

I'd already worked out the chord shapes based on other comments so meh.
Quote by Hail
I dunno. Give 'em enough rope...
Quote by Serotonite
I'd already worked out the chord shapes based on other comments so meh.
Good for you. Hope I didn't come across as patronising.
(Hold on, maybe "good for you" is patronising? )