hey guys,

lately I've come to realize that I need to find more portable solutions to get a good sound, my main amp is a tube Crate V18 that is nice but I've been in (many situations) where I had a quick performance/open jam and I couldn't heave my amp cause I got no car and so ended up with analog pedals into a solid state, and yesterday I even had to plug into a mixer (ughhhhhh!) cause no one would let me use theirs -_-

is there anything available that I can plug into an amp/mixer/whatever and get a good sound that is the closest thing to a good amp and doesn't sound too artificial? I play classic/Hard rock and a bit of metal for kicks

my current gear:
Ibanez RG with PAF pros
Crate V18
Morley power wah
Metal muff (sometimes)
Dunlop super comp (sometimes)
You should be able to find a used Line 6 POD HD Desktop (bean) pretty cheap.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah go for a POD.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Pod HD -- the "bean" model will fit into the accessory pocket of some gig bags, and the FBV Express foot pedal will handle about 90% of anything you want to do (the FBV Shortboard II will handle the rest).

Guitar cable to the "bean" in the backline.
two cables from the bean to the mixer.
Power brick into the wall.

One ethernet cable from the pedalboard back to the Pod HD in the backline. (no other cables, no power brick; it gets all of its power from the HD via the ethernet cable).
i have experience with the mesa model ^ i don't own one, but the times i have demo'd one i really liked it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I almost forgot about the AMT Legend series preamps, really nice and <$150 new. They have Mesa, Soldano,VHT,Krank,Orange,Soldano,Marshall,Engl and some more
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
thanks everyone the POD seems popular, but are all these pluggable directly into a mixer/PA with good results?
Quote by Alijonroth
thanks everyone the POD seems popular, but are all these pluggable directly into a mixer/PA with good results?

Yes
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Alijonroth

Yup. I'd rather get anything else listen on here but the POD, but if you want a cheap standalone solution I guess it could do in a bind, I personally hate its tone but you get all the other fx into it that the V Twin, etc. don't have as they are pure preamps with speaker emulation.
hey guys, I did some research and I was wondering also about the Xotic BB preamp and the Blackstar HT dual pedals, would they work in the same context? and generally speaking, is a preamp pedal what I need?
Last edited by Alijonroth at Sep 9, 2015,
The BB not so sure, looks like a boost/overdrive pedal to me so I probably wouldn't use it as stand alone.

The HT-Dual is great, it has speaker emulation that can connect direct.

What you need is a preamp pedal but in reality the definition is confusing. There are quite a few pedals that will act as a preamp. I think for the most part you need a several gain stage options and a speaker emulation which is the kicker in your case as you're going into the board. So that kinda limits the options.

Did you look at the Sansamp/Tech21 range?
Yes, a preamp pedal is the trick to get good guitar tone from any mixer or powered speaker setup and it is super-portable. Finding the one that best suits your style is harder so you will need to test several. My personal experience is limited but most hi gain players like the Pod after they have tweaked it to taste. I am more old school and prefer vintage tone which can be found reliably in the Vox Tonelab LE. I have not used their latest versions.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by diabolical
The BB not so sure, looks like a boost/overdrive pedal to me so I probably wouldn't use it as stand alone.

The HT-Dual is great, it has speaker emulation that can connect direct.

What you need is a preamp pedal but in reality the definition is confusing. There are quite a few pedals that will act as a preamp. I think for the most part you need a several gain stage options and a speaker emulation which is the kicker in your case as you're going into the board. So that kinda limits the options.

Did you look at the Sansamp/Tech21 range?

I checked the Sansamp but I wasn't sure about it, I checked the AMT legend series too but I wouldnt know which one to get tbh xD I want something that's versatile and has a tweakable tone, but not the Pod, it looks a but too much for me, way too many buttons. I'm looking at stuff in the 150$ range or a little bit above that, what do you recommend out of the above?
Joyo cloned some of the Tech21 Character pedals if you want to go that route first to see if they work for you.

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?t=16105
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I recently got a Sansamp GT2, I use it as a distortion pedal but tried with just a pa and it sounds pretty fierce. It models general Fender, Marshall and Mesa tones. Besides the practicality its a pretty sweet pedal, I dig it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Look up the TRI-AC and Double Drive 3X by Sansamp/Tech21.
Maybe even get them used. They are incredibly versatile. I wouldn't used them for a thrash or death metal project but they cover all the ground up to those genres.

Digitech DF-7 might be another option as it has several clones built into it and the speaker emulation is decent. No way close in quality to the Sansamp/Tech21 stuff but on a budget it is really not bad. You have one sound on that though, so it is either on or off. With the TRI-AC or 3X you can program 3 sounds into the pedal even on the fly if you want, so in essence you can have your solo boost right in there.
Last edited by diabolical at Sep 9, 2015,