Hi everyone,

I'm going to be putting together a rig for practicing in an apartment. I'm going to buy a Weber MASS for sized complete attenuation, run the out into a headphone amp, and play through headphones.

In between those, I'd like to put some sort of a box for speaker simulation and I'm looking for help/recommendations. I'll be eventually putting all of this into a rack, so rackmount or footpedal designs are fine.

A couple of options I've come across:

http://www.samash.com/trescab-speaker-simulator-pedal-mtrescabx?cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-Amplifiers%20/%20Effects-_-Channeladvisor-_-Mooer+Audio+Trescab+Speaker+Simulator+Pedal&utm_source=GSH&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Channeladvisor&CAWELAID=500002510000035062&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=500002510000028166&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6vquBRCow62uo-_J_YYBEiQAMO6HimRBvnBoV7hWySsqgPhwhUAIbpVRNhBtSepmMHdM3MgaArtH8P8HAQ

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/amt-electronics-chameleon-cab-speaker-cabinet-simulator-pedal?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6vquBRCow62uo-_J_YYBEiQAMO6Higfk-8690waHKEbpg1XjdfsNC4MKNyzYWrSi3FUTD14aAmoJ8P8HAQ&kwid=productads-plaid^82170832467-sku^J04531000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^51870555867#productDetail

http://www.adaamps.com/Products/ada-GCS/GCS.htm#GCS2

Of course there's the PDI03, but that's like 4x the cost of some of these, trying to keep it under $150 USD.

Any thoughts? thanks!
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by DLrocket89
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be putting together a rig for practicing in an apartment. I'm going to buy a Weber MASS for sized complete attenuation, run the out into a headphone amp, and play through headphones.

Honestly, I've gone through this rigamarole and abandoned it for a used Pod.
That's the cheapest and easiest and most compact way to handle it. Guitar to red kidney-bean shaped gizmo, out to headphones.
i don't think that is a good idea.

for one, attenuators burn through tubes.

two, its more expensive.

and three, its not going to get you sounding any better than a good digital unit. (POD HD500x)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Been there, done that, got a POD.

And I had the Palmer. It's a great unit but it just doesn't make sense to burn through tubes to get a neutered version of a big amp through headphones. If you can't make noise, modeling is the way to go.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I like building tube amps, tinkering with their designs, etc, so I'm looking for a tube poweramp here. any other thoughts?
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by DLrocket89
Thanks for the replies everyone. I like building tube amps, tinkering with their designs, etc, so I'm looking for a tube poweramp here. any other thoughts?

I do too, but i don't like needlessly burning through tubes.

I really don't think it is going to sound as great as you think.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by DLrocket89

Talk to the folks who rebuild and modify the old Dynaco power amps, including the 60W mono amps and the ST70 (I think that's what it was -- 35W per channel, stereo). Maybe you can find an old Macintosh or Marantz tube power amp. Carvin makes a very good tube power amp (the TS100).
Hard to go past a 6505+ combo as a power amp. Just feed your signal into the FX Return socket and you're away. Cheap and easy bullet proof solution.
And upgrade the speaker to a V30.

Btw, you can still buy those Dynaco amp kits from Triodeelectronics.com.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't want to derail, but how exactly is it that running an attenuator ruins your power tubes? How is it any worse than just plugging into a speaker cab?
[404]Signature not found
The whole point of an attenuator is so you can run your tubes harder.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, I wasn't going to get into that quagmire, but honestly who cares if you burn through power tubes quicker? The reason this supposedly happens is that the attenuator lets you run things hotter/louder than you normally would (and in the tube world that means it sounds better...usually). So - they wear out quicker, but it's not like you're going to nuke them in half an hour or something.

And even then, I've never actually gone through a set of power tubes on an amp. If I have to replace them every 6 months, I don't care in the least...I designed and built the amp, presumably I know how to replace tubes an bias them.

Thanks for the suggestions on amps, not really where I'm going with this. Want to be able to build/prototype poweramps as well as preamps, hence the 100% attenuation.
Quote by kcdakrt

Check out the transformers at triodeelectronics.com. They're made in Chicago and are quite good things really, esp for the money.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ah okay. I figured that, just thought there may have been more to it. I got the impression from what people were saying that if you ran an attenuator you'd go through tubes quicker than if you ran the amp with the same settings straight into your cab. Sorry about that.
[404]Signature not found