I'm making a custom guitar and I'd like some ideas, I'm thinking of a set of pearly gates with some type of p90 in the middle position, but any ideas are accepted.
I'd try these out , this is a somewhat new pickup out that emulates the sound of a p90 wired the right way. I wasn't big on them but check it out. The p-rail sounds like a humbucker , p90 or single coil depending on how you wire it. That is my 2 cents anyways as it depends on your guitars custom needs.

question is would you want a 4 wire p90 or something that doesn't cancel hum

this is the p-rail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqCqW5d6k2o
I don't care if it doesn't cancel hum, I'm still in the idea stage of this guitar though, so anything works.
Just as a reference to the sound of combining a P90 with a Humbucker, check out the sound of the Gibson Lou Pallo signature Les Paul. It has a P90 at the neck and a Gibson Dirty Fingers at the bridge. (Lou was Les Paul's rhythm player for 30 years and is now the leader of the Les Paul Trio). I have seen Lou play often and that sound combination is really nice.

http://www.loupallo.com/
Attachments:
LPLOUETCH12.jpg
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 31, 2015,
The SD P-Rails have been around for a good five or six years (maybe longer). They combine a true P90 coil, and a true rail-coil single coil into a single pickup. With available switching, you can get at least four sounds from it, including a serial humbucker and a parallel humbucker sound in addition to the P90/single coil sounds. There are actually THREE (last time I checked) output levels of P-Rail, and my Best advice is to NOT go with SD's recommendations regarding neck and bridge pickups. You'll see.

There's also the TripleShot pickup ring, which has switching built into it, designed expressly to work with the P-Rail.

Last edited by dspellman at Aug 31, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
Just as a reference to the sound of combining a P90 with a Humbucker, check out the sound of the Gibson Lou Pallo signature Les Paul. It has a P90 at the neck and a Gibson Dirty Fingers at the bridge. (Lou was Les Paul's rhythm player for 30 years and is now the leader of the Les Paul Trio). I have seen Lou play often and that sound combination is really nice.

This was a fairly standard LP configuration at one time. My suggestion, however, is that you look at the Kinman Noiseless P90's. They successfully maintain the sound of a vintage P90 while allowing you to run the pickups noiselessly. I think they do this FAR better than the Fralin noiseless P90's. About the only other P90 sounds I can think of that eliminate the noise that can happen with a P90 near a neon sign or on a circuit with a poorly-modulated ice machine would be the Variax guitar from Line 6, which offers a bunch of single-cut sounds with no noise...