for reference, i have three ibanez prestiges, a 3550mz (TZ/AN) a 2570evsl (CL/LQ)and a 1570, which is what i am looking for.

i want this to have quite a bit of output, hotter than the bridge 'buckers in my other ibanezs.

i REALLY don't want to go over $160

i was eyeing some of dimarzios and i am considering the d-activators, but i am worried about dynamics.

i don't want to go active.

and this guitar is in C#std, used for metal leads and chunky rhythm parts. i will try to describe this but i am not good with it. no djent. maybe shadows fall to black dahlia murder and acacia strain for chunk, and really liquid leads on the neck pickup. if there were a liquifire that had the output to match a d-activator, that may be an easy sale.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I am pretty sure that Jon Donais used/uses active EMGs as well as both guitarists from Dahlia. Not sure how you feel about actives though, I am not a huge fan although they do apply in certain situations. I have yet to try the 57/66 EMG set, which is on my radar.
I originally thought of recommending D-Activators though.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Duncan has those new pickups, the Nazgul, Pegasus and Sentient. Might look into those. Demos I've heard make them seem sick, but I haven't tried them personally. I normally am a big fan of Dimarzio, but I have to admit I'm tempted by these pickups.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for.

Has anyone had experience with the d-activators?

I will look into SD, but as odd as it may sound i haven't ever liked ANY SD in an ibanez super strat. That is just me. SD's work better for me in ESPs and Jacksons.

What would you recommend for a chunky rhythm?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
check out Lace Sensor's site they have a some really cool humbuckers that have gotten good reviews (i've only played one guitar that had them and i don't remember which ones they wre but they were good)
I already recommended this once today, but the Dimarzio D Sonic is awesome for chunky, yet clear rhythms. Pretty high-output but not over-the-top. It is one of the tightest pickups I've ever owned, but doesn't do so by cutting all the bass. I used to love the sounds I could get out of it when chugging/galloping. The leads were liquid and sweet as well. Outstanding pickup.

Right now I've got a SD Black Winter set in my LTD Explorer. Also a phenomenal set. Output is quite high; almost to the level of my active Blackouts. The bridge pup can get pretty chunky, but also has this raw, grinding mids thing going on. Overall it's pretty balanced among the frequencies. The neck is smooth and liquidy sounding, and the cleans from both pups are amazing -- a nice balance of clear, warm, yet somehow a little chimey.

I would steer clear of the Nazgul, as every demo of heard has it sounding like there's a middy-honk that can't be dialed out (djent, in other words. ).
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by monwobobbo
check out Lace Sensor's site they have a some really cool humbuckers that have gotten good reviews (i've only played one guitar that had them and i don't remember which ones they wre but they were good)

Lace has some nice pickups, but I don't want to spend $100 on a pickup.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by KailM
I already recommended this once today, but the Dimarzio D Sonic is awesome for chunky, yet clear rhythms. Pretty high-output but not over-the-top. It is one of the tightest pickups I've ever owned, but doesn't do so by cutting all the bass. I used to love the sounds I could get out of it when chugging/galloping. The leads were liquid and sweet as well. Outstanding pickup.

Right now I've got a SD Black Winter set in my LTD Explorer. Also a phenomenal set. Output is quite high; almost to the level of my active Blackouts. The bridge pup can get pretty chunky, but also has this raw, grinding mids thing going on. Overall it's pretty balanced among the frequencies. The neck is smooth and liquidy sounding, and the cleans from both pups are amazing -- a nice balance of clear, warm, yet somehow a little chimey.

I would steer clear of the Nazgul, as every demo of heard has it sounding like there's a middy-honk that can't be dialed out (djent, in other words. ).

How does the D-Sonic compare to the d-activator bridge pickup?

What would you recommend for a matching neck pickup?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
As for the Nazgul, I agree it's most likely not what you're looking for if you'd like something chunky, it has a really sharp tone. Although personally I've loved every clip of it I've heard.

Pegasus is lower output and more balanced, I don't think it's what you're looking for either, it's definitely lower output than the Crunch Lab, for example.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Quote by TheLiberation
As for the Nazgul, I agree it's most likely not what you're looking for if you'd like something chunky, it has a really sharp tone. Although personally I've loved every clip of it I've heard.

Pegasus is lower output and more balanced, I don't think it's what you're looking for either, it's definitely lower output than the Crunch Lab, for example.

ok, thanks.

this is weird for me, usually i know what i want and don't have much trouble figuring it out. but i can't just figure out how to say what i want.

it doesn't seem that the nazgal, pegasus, or sentient are looking for.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
How does the D-Sonic compare to the d-activator bridge pickup?

What would you recommend for a matching neck pickup?

Sadly I have not tried a D-activator so I can only compare based on clips I've heard. I can say for sure that the D-sonic is lower in output, and that *probably* makes it more dynamic. I would describe it as dynamic anyway. It has plenty of mids, but they're controlled. Not really boosted, but not cut either. The midrange lies a little in the low-mid region which is I think why it sounds so tight, yet with a ton of "meat" behind it. FWIW I always had it in a Les Paul tuned to D Standard/Drop C. I wish I would have tried it in C# Standard because that's typically what I tune to/record with now. I don't use drop-tuning all that much.

As far as other pickups go, the D Sonic probably most closely matches the Crunch Lab, only it's a tad brighter and more open, with a slightly lower output. I've heard a significant number of people say they like the D better than the CL. I've only played the CL a handful of times and it wasn't through my rig -- so I can't definitively say for myself which I prefer.

One other thing I can say about it is that it really adds a lot of character to your overall tone compared to a lot of other pickups. It tamed a lot of the fizz on my 6505+ and made it sound more like a Mark IV. I know that sounds weird and maybe far fetched, but I found myself playing Lamb of God riffs all the time because the tone I got was so close to theirs. The chunky chug I could get was addictive. Very tight, controlled, yet THICK sounding. I almost want to get another guitar just to put that pickup in the bridge again...

I hope that helps. Also, I think Dimarzio will allow you to buy new and then exchange a pickup one time if it's not to your taste. That's a pretty good deal if you ask me.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
Sadly I have not tried a D-activator so I can only compare based on clips I've heard. I can say for sure that the D-sonic is lower in output, and that *probably* makes it more dynamic. I would describe it as dynamic anyway. It has plenty of mids, but they're controlled. Not really boosted, but not cut either. The midrange lies a little in the low-mid region which is I think why it sounds so tight, yet with a ton of "meat" behind it. FWIW I always had it in a Les Paul tuned to D Standard/Drop C. I wish I would have tried it in C# Standard because that's typically what I tune to/record with now. I don't use drop-tuning all that much.

As far as other pickups go, the D Sonic probably most closely matches the Crunch Lab, only it's a tad brighter and more open, with a slightly lower output. I've heard a significant number of people say they like the D better than the CL. I've only played the CL a handful of times and it wasn't through my rig -- so I can't definitively say for myself which I prefer.

One other thing I can say about it is that it really adds a lot of character to your overall tone compared to a lot of other pickups. It tamed a lot of the fizz on my 6505+ and made it sound more like a Mark IV. I know that sounds weird and maybe far fetched, but I found myself playing Lamb of God riffs all the time because the tone I got was so close to theirs. The chunky chug I could get was addictive. Very tight, controlled, yet THICK sounding. I almost want to get another guitar just to put that pickup in the bridge again...

I hope that helps. Also, I think Dimarzio will allow you to buy new and then exchange a pickup one time if it's not to your taste. That's a pretty good deal if you ask me.

i forgot about that.

i think i am going to go with d-activators and if i don't like them, swap them out and if i don't like them, i will go for something else. i am not sure when i will be getting them, kinda depends on whether i want some more pedals or if that is more important.

i will surely post up a review so you all will know what i think about them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
checkout black winters
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
This sounds like a job for the Black Winters! You get chunkiness without sounding scooped. Don't forget, Seymour Duncan offers a 21 day Real World Exchange Policy as well.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan