A brief summary about me, I was considering going electric just to mess around but I found I really prefer my acoustic: just something so organic about it. Cheesy I know, and no I am not a vegetarian new age person.

With that said I am seeing and finding not necessarily a huge need but more of a reason to get a second guitar. But what would make more sense, getting the higher end model of my existing Taylor? For instance I stopped at Guitar Center today and saw this sweet sounding Taylor 815 model and it was gorgeous and sounded just beautiful with a 2k-plus price tag on it. Can I afford it? Sure. But I am also NOT a professional musician. So I said to myself, unless you sell the motorcycle why buy a guitar at that price?

So the desire to get a second died down a bit, and then I visited my mother, talked about plans to go on trips next year, and so on and it dawned on me: TRAVELING GUITAR!!!

First instinct was a beater but then I thought they make traveling guitars so I went into research mode. I have to say I really like the CONCEPT of the Traveler Guitar AG-105 (w/out the electronics). I do like the design of the electronic one but if it sounds like an electric guitar without an amp it's no use to me. I need one that sounds like an acoustic and to only get that you need an acoustic. HOWEVER, even though I added it to my wish list for Christmas for I need to stop buying stuff due to desire, I started researching further.

Traveler Guitar AG-105 is a great concept, but if you did what I did and that is run the Youtube videos from your phone to the big screen you see the issues. First the cut of the wood for the body doesn't look like they put a lot of thought into the design. Yeah it's cut to size but the final product doesn't blow me away.

Then there is the no head, which I love for it makes it smaller. But then I read the Amazon reviews and looked at the parts closer and it has a lot of room for failure and there are those on Amazon that have experienced the failure. If the mechanisms that hold the strings fail, you are out of a guitar and it happened to others. I don't need that drama plus hassle. Me out on that one.

So I am thinking what to do, what to do??? So I went back to my love and I have to say hearing from Youtube videos of the sound from a Baby Taylor is sweet. I love the small compactness of it, and by design it makes the most sense.

So, unless posters on here can suggest something alternate worth considering, I am going to focus on the Baby Taylors for my future 2015 Christmas present from my fiancé (she doesn't know yet so don't tell her that she is getting it for me).

Well?
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
The design of the one you reference might not have much "acousticness" left in it. It is the kind of thing I would want to try before committing. The Baby Taylor is good, as is the GS Mini. - I owned the first, and have played a few of the latter. There are also "baby" Martins like the LXM, and companies like Ibanez also produce small acoustics.
Quote by Tony Done
The design of the one you reference might not have much "acousticness" left in it. It is the kind of thing I would want to try before committing. The Baby Taylor is good, as is the GS Mini. - I owned the first, and have played a few of the latter. There are also "baby" Martins like the LXM, and companies like Ibanez also produce small acoustics.

If the others are in the store(s) I will check them out but for the most part I am pretty loyal to Taylor unless their quality of sound and manufacturing drops. So unless there is something really special about the alternates that I find when trying them out, I am pretty set on going with the Baby.
Quote by fingerguy
If the others are in the store(s) I will check them out but for the most part I am pretty loyal to Taylor unless their quality of sound and manufacturing drops. So unless there is something really special about the alternates that I find when trying them out, I am pretty set on going with the Baby.

$100 gets better bass with the Big Baby...but the Baby is a very sweet little guitar ;D

Check out the Seagull Entourage Rustic (full size, not the parlor version) while you are in the guitar shop....you might be surprised. Very nice and a very good price. The more I play it the more I like it...and I liked it alot when I bought it.
Well what's funny is I reached out to my old guitar teacher whom has recently become my brother-inlaw and he said he didn't like the Baby. What is a shocker is he is a TAYLOR fanatic and he did not like it. Hell that is the guy that turned me onto Taylor's! I am shocked! He gave me a list to try, one sells out of one single location and does not ship to any stores at all. You either come there or buy online. The others I know and some I did not.

Charlie didn't like the Taylor Baby I am SHOCKED!!!

Well anyway, I will be trying whatever when I am out there.

Preferences for me and know this is for a "traveling" guitar is:
1. Size is a big factor. If it's a full size guitar it defeats the whole purpose of doing this.
2. Sound - I don't want a dull sound, but I am not unrealistic I know I have to be willing to give up on some sound do the smaller body. I am okay with that.
3. Must have as bright as a sound you can get from that size guitar. Which is why I was leaning towards Taylor for they have that bright sound that you don't find in other brands. Not saying none of the brands have that sound, but it's not as common. I have more muted/mudder type sounds out of acoustics like on a Dean. God that Dean really sucked and my first Yamaha, ick!

So small, bright sound is my goal. If nothing doesn't fit that mold then I rather not get anything at all for if I don't enjoy playing it then what is the point?

Also, even if Charlie didn't like the Baby I am still going to finger her and the Martin too. That sounded dirty didn't it?
UPDATE...

Found a great Youtube clip during my playing breaks and over the TV you can hear the guitars clearer. The Martin had a sound slightly more to my liking. My fiance suggests I just get the Martin because I already own a Taylor. Sort of makes sense.

I can't wait to get myself into a store and start trying them out.
FINAL UPDATE!!!

I did it! I bought her and I love her...we are going to get married soon. J/K

I went with the Martin LX1. I tried 2 wood versions, 1 laminate, and a Baby Taylor. Anything else in that realm wasn't even worth considering as soon as I strum the strings.

Conclusion, as a Taylor lover the Baby was way too bright for me. Sounded like a harp.

The laminate would have been my preferred choice because of elements but didn't care for the sound.

The 2 LX1's that were wood were different sounding, and I chose the one of the two that appealed to me the most.

Goes to show, do your best on never buying a guitar on the Internet for you won't know what it sounds like till you get your hands on it. Two guitars of the same make and model and both sounded completely different. Hence why Zager guitars wasn't even an option for me.
Er, LX-1's all have laminate sides and back as far as I know, but I agree that the ones with the solid wood tops sound best.

I have a nearly permanent lust for the LX. Once my budget recovers from buying the D-28, that's my next guitar.
Dave Bowers

Instruments
Martin D-28
Martin/Sigma DR12-7
Martin Dreadnought Junior
Washburn EA25SNB
Epiphone F-112 Bard
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
^^^^ There's a bit of terminology confusion over the Martin "X"s. The b&s are HPL, basically the same as laminex/formica. One thing they will have in their favour is stability over changing environments. I would like them more if they didn't try and make them look like wood, it reminds me of the horrible wood look-alike furniture from the late 60s. Some nice dignified solid colours would be good.
Well the top definitely is wood, the rest feels like wood but quite frankly I don't give a crap. For in the end I just care I find it appealing to me and MOST IMPORTANTLY I like the sound of it. Past that, laminate, wood, I don't care. Just happened the laminate one I didn't like.