Hello,

I am currently in need of a pedal that can loop different rhythm parts I make up. I don't necessarily need a save feature, but as long as I can click it to record,on,off, and maybe back up again.

Price is not an issue. Are there any you guys recommend or had good experiences with? Help is greatly appreciated.
Pretty much all of them do that.

I have a TC Electronics Ditto, which is about as basic as they get (but great quality), but am considering upgrading to a BOSS RC3 because of the additional functionality.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Noting the RC1 is two channel and has the optional extra foot switch control I would consider it a better option than the Ditto.

The RC3 does take it to another level which, although not important when I started looping, I am now starting to crave. It is close to twice the price of the RC1 though.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Need a delay too? Check out the Line 6 DL4 or the TC Flashback and FBx4 both have very good loopers. Thinking about getting a multifx? The Zoom G3/G5 has an awesome looper, along with everything else modern mfx bring. If you just want something simple, the Ditto is a cool lil looper but it muddies up pretty quick. I don't know if the RC1 or maybe the EHX 360 have the same problem but I would look into them first because I KNOW the Ditto gets muddy, the others may fare better.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I love my Ditto looper but I’d recommend the XP version that has an extra button. This makes it easier to use than trying to do double-tap dances but it’s still much simpler than the big complex loopers sold for people who are switching a half-dozen loops on and off while playing.
Quote by lucky1978
...... Ditto is a cool lil looper but it muddies up pretty quick. I don't know if the RC1 or maybe the EHX 360 have the same problem but I would look into them first because I KNOW the Ditto gets muddy, the others may fare better.

How many layers are you loading up and are you running it out to a different dedicated amp?
Any signal will degrade the more you put into it. There will always be bleed when it is one track. Two tracks will potentially give greater separation but it is still what it is. It is not a multi layer daw.
Last edited by John Sims at Sep 1, 2015,
I like the Ditto Looper for simplicity. I know the guys from Russian Circles (who use a lot of looping as a 3 piece) use the Akai Headrush and Digitech JamMan which are also both very nice but take up a bit of real estate.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by fly135
Need backing tracks but don't need to save makes no sense.

Not at all. A looper is as close as you can get to live when you need to do multiple parts. You need to lay the track, perform it live, there and then. There is an honesty to it which you don't get from just playing back a pre recorded track.
Another vote for Ditto here. Got mine and love it, once you master the button controls, you can be pretty quick about it. Sounds great, small, simple.
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic
Quote by John Sims
How many layers are you loading up and are you running it out to a different dedicated amp?
Any signal will degrade the more you put into it. There will always be bleed when it is one track. Two tracks will potentially give greater separation but it is still what it is. It is not a multi layer daw.

3. Base loop and a couple of overdubs that sound crystal clear on other loopers Ive used.

I'm familiar with loopers. I'm not saying its a bad pedal, just that its not as good as the two other loopers I have now, nor the loopers I've had, imo. I was admittedly a bit disappointed in the Ditto because of the sound quality. Call me a novice if you will but I'm not a fan and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if either the RC1 or EHX 360 outperforms the Ditto.

You can't really go wrong with a $90 looper, regardless.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by John Sims
Not at all. A looper is as close as you can get to live when you need to do multiple parts. You need to lay the track, perform it live, there and then. There is an honesty to it which you don't get from just playing back a pre recorded track.

I'm not sure that is a 'backing track' you described. IMHO (and probably fly135's) a backing track is a pre-recorded full track that may well contain more than just guitar.

What you described is a great skill to have though and impresses me when it is done well but I think that is more 'layering'. It would usually be a shorter section of the song 'looped'.

Anyhow, the only experience I have with a looper is my RC3 which can do both of the above.
You can also connect it to a PC to save/upload tracks, it has basic built in drum affects and an aux in.
Cool, thanks for all the input. I'm leaning towards the second Ditto model, I'll check out the boss pedals before deciding though.

Another quick question is if the loop is clean, and I want to improvise with a overdriven tone, will I need a second amp or ABY switch to separate the signals?
If price no issue
Boss RC 300 is amazing.
Multiple channels and multiple stop starts
My son uses it - gigs and can lay down multiple layers live
different tones etc
Otherwise boss RC30 is in between
Quote by CageTheGates
Another quick question is if the loop is clean, and I want to improvise with a overdriven tone, will I need a second amp or ABY switch to separate the signals?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think you'd have to put it in an FX loop or have a distortion pedal before the looper.
Can't speak for the ABY as I've never looked into them.
Quote by SpiderM
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think you'd have to put it in an FX loop or have a distortion pedal before the looper.
Can't speak for the ABY as I've never looked into them.

If you want different tones overdrive etc between the live guitar and loop you either need two amps and an AB switch or an overdrive pedal.

The looper goes between the guitar and amp but after any stomp boxes that you may want in any specific loop.

If you want a clean guitar rythum track the amp needs to stay clean. If you want your live guitar dirty play it through an overdrive pedal.
If you want a clean loop with an overdriven tone over it just put the looper in the FX loop of your amp, loop a clean lick, switch your amp's channel and play over it. That simple. There's no rule that says it has to be in front of the amp or in the FX loops. Hell, a lot of delays (an effect that traditionally goes in the FX loop) have a looper function. Look at the DL4, Giga Delay, Headrush, Stymon Timeline, Delaylab, ect.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9