Hello all,

I recently came into possession of an Ibanez grg 270

The guitar has been sparingly used and has had no modifications done. It comes with a Floyd rose locking system

I've noticed that the nut, and hence the action, on the guitar is way too high for my playing, around 1 cm at the first fret. It's causing me incredible difficulty and makes holding down routine chords there an almost impossibility, let alone barre chords. Also, pressing the string from such a height changes the note altogether, and no matter how fast I release the string, it ends up recoiling way too fast, hitting my finger and dulling the note

I've played a few Floyd rose models before, including another 270, and this was not the case with those guitars.

I'm wondering if its just me, or it could be a manufacturing defect. Also, is it possible to somehow reduce the nut height? I'm currently finding the guitar unplayable and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
A.
the locking nut sometimes has shims under it. if you take it off you should be able to remove some of the shims (if they're there).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by artispecies
Hello all,

I recently came into possession of an Ibanez grg 270

The guitar has been sparingly used and has had no modifications done. It comes with a Floyd rose locking system

I've noticed that the nut, and hence the action, on the guitar is way too high for my playing, around 1 cm at the first fret. It's causing me incredible difficulty and makes holding down routine chords there an almost impossibility, let alone barre chords. Also, pressing the string from such a height changes the note altogether, and no matter how fast I release the string, it ends up recoiling way too fast, hitting my finger and dulling the note

I've played a few Floyd rose models before, including another 270, and this was not the case with those guitars.

I'm wondering if its just me, or it could be a manufacturing defect. Also, is it possible to somehow reduce the nut height? I'm currently finding the guitar unplayable and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
A.

1cm is insanely high. if we assume a typo then 1mm is also insanely high. the claim is no mods. have been done and the guitar has been used sparingly, but now the nut is too high?

i would look at the shim pack under the nut first. also check to see if the base plate of the trem is parallel to the body as well.

post a pic too.
Last edited by ad_works at Aug 31, 2015,
Quote by ad_works
1cm is insanely high. if we assume a typo then 1mm is also insanely high. the claim is no mods. have been done and the guitar has been used sparingly, but now the nut is too high?

i would look at the shim pack under the nut first. also check to see if the base plate of the trem is parallel to the body as well.

post a pic too.

Okay, so I checked for shims, and there seem to be none.
Also, my earlier assessment was a bit over enthusiastic, the height is around 6-7 mm. Is that okay or still too much? The base plate seems to be alright. The guy I got it from played it rarely and it lay unused for the most part. Ive attached a pic of the nut with the locking plates and screws removed. Please have a look and let me know if something seems off.
Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
Wow. That nut action is appalling. No wonder you're having problems.

To give you some perspective, the action at the 6th string (the low E) should ideally be roughly 2/3 the diameter of the string itself. And the 1st string's (the high E) nut action should be twice the diameter of the string itself. We're talking roughly 0.5mm here. Your nut action is almost 10 times that amount.

This sort of leads me to believe that either the shelf that was cut for the nut was never deep enough when it was done at the factory. Or the locking nut is actually the wrong size. Maybe even both are true.

You need to do some pretty drastic filing of the nut slots to get that action down to an acceptable level. Either that, or file down the underside of the nut on a flat surface. Or even more drastically, cut the shelf that attaches the locking nut to the neck deeper to lower the action that way.

Other than those 3 options, there isn't much else you can do.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I think man's found the right guitar to learn slide on

Seriously, yeah, there's some filing to be done, and I'd say you should probably start with the shelf itself, since there's a long way to go, but probably best to get a tech to do it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by artispecies
Okay, so I checked for shims, and there seem to be none.
Also, my earlier assessment was a bit over enthusiastic, the height is around 6-7 mm. Is that okay or still too much? The base plate seems to be alright. The guy I got it from played it rarely and it lay unused for the most part. Ive attached a pic of the nut with the locking plates and screws removed. Please have a look and let me know if something seems off.

thanks for uploading a picture. it goes a long way towards sorting out problems. if only other posters would figure out how to do this, forum life would be so much easier for everybody. you should win an awesome poster award for someone who can post a clear picture of exactly what you are talking about.

were this on my bench i'd cut that fingerboard shelf right off. just filing the slots deeper will fuk up the break angle and mess with the clamping seat. with that shelf removed you can use the nut you have and get shims from floyd rose and take it from there -if you need shims in the first place. this way you can use standard parts to get it done. going by your picture it seems like by just removing the fingerboard shelf you may be real close to where you need to be with minimal adjustments needed.

it's a job for a good tech, a good luthier, or someone who can use either a router, milling machine, or a chisel and a scraper without screwing up. it has to be square, flat, and clean, and one should not remove any material from the front end of the fretboard.

were it mine i'd take the neck off, set it up on my mill and deal with it.

or...

go here: ibanez parts link and find your gio by year and order a replacement nut and string tree. for example an 06' to 07' model shows a part number of 2LN1SR421B for a "locking nut set". you may actually have the wrong one installed. hard to tell without measuring unfortunately and hard to be sure of what you are getting exactly, but you could return the parts though. also hard to think that ibanez would do such bad work. i've seen factory seconds that had far less obvious errors but it's a gio and you never know.

or...

find said tech/luthier and get them to figure it out. they may have different sizes of them in a box and can mix and match. 42mm is pretty common and so are floyd's. i believe you have an edge2 or edge3 (ibanez copies) but i'm not sure.
Last edited by ad_works at Sep 1, 2015,
Hey all,

Thanks for all the help, I was going crazy thinking that I'd suddenly become ridiculously inept at playing an electric, esp since I picked one up after a really long time.

I called up a luthier (infact the only one) in my city, and am visiting his workshop this weekend to see what can be done. I have zero woodworking experience and dont want to meddle with something that obviously requires serious skills.

The guitar building scene is pretty awful in my town, or my country for that matter. If things dont work out, I'll try messing around myself. Nonetheless, the past few weeks have been very educational, as on account of this problem I read more about guitars and guitar building than I ever had.

Thank you all,
Regards,
A.
Quote by ad_works
thanks for uploading a picture. it goes a long way towards sorting out problems. if only other posters would figure out how to do this, forum life would be so much easier for everybody. you should win an awesome poster award for someone who can post a clear picture of exactly what you are talking about.

were this on my bench i'd cut that fingerboard shelf right off. just filing the slots deeper will fuk up the break angle and mess with the clamping seat. with that shelf removed you can use the nut you have and get shims from floyd rose and take it from there -if you need shims in the first place. this way you can use standard parts to get it done. going by your picture it seems like by just removing the fingerboard shelf you may be real close to where you need to be with minimal adjustments needed.

it's a job for a good tech, a good luthier, or someone who can use either a router, milling machine, or a chisel and a scraper without screwing up. it has to be square, flat, and clean, and one should not remove any material from the front end of the fretboard.

were it mine i'd take the neck off, set it up on my mill and deal with it.

or...

go here: ibanez parts link and find your gio by year and order a replacement nut and string tree. for example an 06' to 07' model shows a part number of 2LN1SR421B for a "locking nut set". you may actually have the wrong one installed. hard to tell without measuring unfortunately and hard to be sure of what you are getting exactly, but you could return the parts though. also hard to think that ibanez would do such bad work. i've seen factory seconds that had far less obvious errors but it's a gio and you never know.

or...

find said tech/luthier and get them to figure it out. they may have different sizes of them in a box and can mix and match. 42mm is pretty common and so are floyd's. i believe you have an edge2 or edge3 (ibanez copies) but i'm not sure.

hey, thank you!!
I visited the said URL, unfortunately, my piece was manufactured in 2005. They dont seem to have info going that far back, its a red GRG270. A friend has an identical guitar, including the colour and thats why is chosen this piece after playing his. Ah, well, minor misfortune, honestly I cant find anything wrong with the guitar besides the nut action and a stuck volume pot that i wanna get replaced. Also I dunno if this is relevant, but i stay in india and maybe we get the worst of the Gio's here.

regards,
A