Looking to put some new pups into my RG

Its just the stock dimarzio/ibz ones that came with it but they sound far too trebly and dont really give that low end chunk im looking for. They sound great for high end solos but thats it.

What are some passive pups that can give me a lower end chunk but still retain the clarity for those solos?
RailHammer Chisel or Anvil pickups might be what you want.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I just put a Chisel in my SG and as of now I really like it. Solid pickup. Not sure how it would fair in a basswood body, which I think your RG is.
Possibly look at D-Activators, not sure how well they manage for producing a low end though. Maybe look into some Lace pickups as well, both Kelliher and Hinds sig pickups look interesting.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
A Dimarzio D Sonic is what comes to mind. Lots of low-end chunk while still being a very tight pickup.

However, I think what you need is a new amp, not new pickups.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
A Dimarzio D Sonic is what comes to mind. Lots of low-end chunk while still being a very tight pickup.

However, I think what you need is a new amp, not new pickups.

+1, just saw that. Not to start a what you really need is a new amp thread, but...?!?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by Bowkore
Looking to put some new pups into my RG

'The hell is everybody calling them "pups" for? Sounds very strange.

I guess you need double-coils passive pickups, right? What type of music are you playing?
Have you tried an EQ pedal yet? See if someone has one you can borrow. It's pretty amazing what a little eq will do to your tone.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
tone zone/air norton should do it, if you want to stick with dimarzio

are you sure it's not the amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I threw a crunch lab and liquifire into my 2570. I love them.

I am currently looking for pickups for another prestige and have a thread going, you may want to check it out.

I think I am leaning on d-activators myself.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
if you want something different that will do the trick look at Lace Sensor" s site they have some cool humbuckers that seem like a good match to what you want
I have an RG2550Z with those same pickups and it's definitely the pickups. I love them and they're perfect for what I play but high gain is not their strong point. They're too bright for it. Increasing the bass and lowering the treble doesn't help since it just loses clarity. I decided to keep mine since I love them for what I normally play. But when I was considering a switch, I looked into the Norton, Air Zone, Tone Zone, Air Norton, Breed, Steve's Special, and Gravity Storm. The Dimarzio site says the neck is closest to a Super 2 and the bridge is a cross between a Steve Morse and a Super Distortion but I'm not sure how accurate they are.

A new amp will also do wonders. But even with a new amp, you'll still probably have that trebly problem. The amp should be your priority but it's not to early to look into pickup options.
I think people on here are quick to suggest a new amp over pickups. Por que no los dos(I think I wrote that right)? I have a prestige which had stock Dimarzio IBZs and I got Evolutions and true velvet middle and it sounds sooo much better. Yes the amp is super important, but pickups should not be ignored altogether. When I first started playing I had an Aria Pro 2 and my friend had a guitar with better pickups. Running through the same amp I just couldn't believe the difference in output and clarity.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Im looking into a new amp.

But ive played my RG through my mates stack and still get that high end trebly sound so i know its the pickups.

Also when looking into a new stack what do I consider?

Ive been told its all about the head and you just need a decent cab at least.
^^It entirely depends on what genre of music you want to play and/or other artists you'd like to emulate. It won't do you any good to have even a high-end blues amp if what you want to play is death metal.

So, what are some styles/bands whose tone you'd like to get close to?

And yes, people are often told "you need a new amp" on this forum. It's not because we want people to spend money. It is the fact that the amp makes WAY more difference in your overall sound than any other factor, including the guitar and pickups. Pickups are pretty low down on the totem pole as far as how much they affect your tone. So I always recommend that people base their gear buying around the right amp first, then a guitar that fits them, then pedals, and THEN start to consider pickups.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by 21GunSalute
I think people on here are quick to suggest a new amp over pickups.

Yeah. Maybe too quick.

While I agree that the amp matters more, and that you should probably get it first, the paradox is that once you have that good amp the pickups can make a ton of difference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tempoe
I put EVOs in my Prestige, they're pretty strange but I like them

I'd just like to take a moment and second this post. Any of Vai's signature pickups are sure to make any guitar sound fantastic, unless you're playing chug-chug-train metal. Please tell us what music you want to play, OP.
Quote by LtnVasquez
I'd just like to take a moment and second this post. Any of Vai's signature pickups are sure to make any guitar sound fantastic, unless you're playing chug-chug-train metal. Please tell us what music you want to play, OP.

Yea I just removed strings 1-4 and drop tuned 5-6 to a low C. Don't even need my left hand to play, and I can play half the nu metal songs out there.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Sorry I play more modern metal type stuff. Not drop A standard low but I do love the low end fat distortion from Amity Affliction.

I'd be looking to go tube amp even though I do love Pantera. Rage against the machine are another influence but their tone isnt exactly what im after.

Im more towards the heavier side of sounding
From the Seymour Duncan line, you can check out the Dimebucker, the Custom, or the Distortion. They all sound great with lots of gain and will add that 'chunk' in the low end too.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Well, then, there is a wide range for modern metal. Those Steve Vai signatures are aimed towards instrumental, so that wouldn't suit your style.

EMG is a popular choice. For passive, perhaps the H3-H4 combination is a popular choice for metal. A LOT of metal guitarists use EMG's.

Seymour Duncan has a very wide range, but most of it is signature models. I'm not too familiar with them except their Mick Thomson signatures, in case you like the sound of Slipknot's rhythm guitar.

EDIT: What ^ said on Seymour Duncan pickups.
Last edited by LtnVasquez at Sep 3, 2015,