Hi everyone.

Before I start my mindless clumsy experiments, I seek the wisdom of experienced people.

This time I would like to know what is the heaviest gauge strings you have succesfully tried on your guitar with a Kahler tremolo. Of course, with what tuning.

My axe is a cheaper version of Kerry King B.C.Rich V, the tremolo in there is a Kahler X-trem. I had that tremolo locked to fixed-bridge all until now and I used strings up to gauge 12-60 for drop C tuning (CGCFAD). But now I would like to activate that tremolo (got fed up with my other Floyd guitar for good).

And before screwing up my trem and ruining several sets of strings I am asking you, folks: do you think that X-trem would handle string gauges, heavy enough for drop C?

Note: I like my string tension pretty high, so that string gauge would have to be around 12-56, maybe even 12-60.... Is there enough reserve in the spring adjustment of that X-trem?

Thank you all in advance for your advice and sharing your experience!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Aug 31, 2015,
OK, lost my patience, took my chance, tried it myself. Found the courage, after seeing an instructional video starring Mr. Kahler himself. And here is the result, for you, who might have the same question. Yes, Kahler X-trem can handle drop C tuning with 12-60 gauge strings on a 25,5 scale neck - this is the gauge I have on the axe right now, the trem springs can be tightened even further, so for this tuning and this gauge there is a safe margin. Yes, this is great, thank you Airfish! Oh, with pleasure, I was glad to help you, Airfish.... Gee, how I enjoy talking to myself!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Sep 1, 2015,