Hi everyone,

I was just thinking today about how feasible having a kind of 'long distance' band for recording stuff would be - and what I mean by that is the members in the band do not live in the same place, but rather record their stuff solo and send it back and forth, mix it etc. Pretty sure I have ready stories about bands making entire albums together this way, but I am curious to know what you guys think about this style or whether you have any experience with it?

Reason I ask is because I just relocated to an area that doesn't really have a lot of musicians, (that stick around here anyway) so I am trying my best to consider all my options when it comes to making some music.
I've done several recordings like this on soundcloud.

Works great (so long as the gear/DAW used is good quality). Also, I got put into some unusual musical situations ... so good for development. Plus, there is a real sense of community. Plenty of opportunities for collaboration (to ask or be asked).

Only thing to be careful of is agreeing copyright properly between collaborators.

I've added guitar parts for others (real mix in the "band", from around Europe).

Here's a progressive metal track for this band.
https://soundcloud.com/peter-bennborn-project/cut-the-line-feat-jerry

(Never met any of these guys).

I've had vocals sent to me (in UK, from US) and mixed at my studio for songs I've written.

https://soundcloud.com/jerry-kramskoy-1/kings-of-groove-feat-michelle

I really like it but haven't been involved for some time now due to hand injuries ... hope to get back to proper playing real soon now. Miss it like crazy.
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Aug 31, 2015,
Wow dude very cool, nice work!! May I ask what your usual kind of routine for this stuff is? Like where do you find the people, do you write a good hook then send it around and have people record stuff over it etc.??
Kind of a mix ... initially I had some tracks that I put up, when I joined soundcloud.

Then I joined various soundcloud groups that I though might like my music, and vice-versa, and pushed my tracks to them. That started a following, and of course I followed players I liked. Then I offered to play guitar on a few tracks, for people who were much better known on SC, and from that, started to get offers. Plus, I contacted people to work with me (I was working on an album of material with the keyboard player from Gary Moore's band ... and we were trying out vocalists).

So, takes a bit of patience ... but if you hear playing you like, just send them a message on SC, and ask if they'd like to do some collaborating.

Good luck ... you won't regret it. Massive fun!!

cheers, Jerry
Quote by BlackMist
Wow dude very cool, nice work!! May I ask what your usual kind of routine for this stuff is? Like where do you find the people, do you write a good hook then send it around and have people record stuff over it etc.??

Didn't fully answer your question.

Yes, I'll get an idea, and maybe just put up an incomplete track (you can share stuff privately initially) for opinions.

On one track (another guy's dance music), I think I downloaded it unasked, added guitar, and sent to him. Then he asked me for a more specific playiong approach. He wanted a "Guitar FX" type of music on top. Sort of metal dance ??

Here's the original

https://soundcloud.com/optimum-vulnerability/atia

became

https://soundcloud.com/jerry-kramskoy-1/the-girls-dangerous-ov-collab
Awesome man thank you so much for the info!

P.S. Best of luck with the hand injuries, hope it gets better soon
Last edited by BlackMist at Aug 31, 2015,
One last thing ... initially, it's a good idea to put up short tracks (3-4 mins), where the tune gets going pretty quickly. Too long an intro with a slow build up won't get the message across to impatient listeners ... remember there's usually a load of tracks being pushed to a listener's channel, and hence usually a quick review gets done to filter out what's not apparently interesting in the first several bars, say.

It's like the musical equivalent of the "elevator pitch" where you get a very short time to convince a stranger to invest with you (be that time, money ...)

cheers, Jerry