Hey guys,

My d strings break on a regular basis and it's becoming more than a little annoying. For reference I have a Chapman ML-1 and a Peavey Generation EXP Custom. The Chapman is set up professionally and is a dream to play; the Peavey less so.

My band plays a lot of gigs (1-2 a week) and we also rehearse 2-3 times a week. On top of that I do a lot of home practice, often 2-3 hours a night in most cases. I mostly use ernie ball 10s on the Chapman and use either the same for the Peavey, or 11s power slinkys, or even a custom hybrid from Cleartone 10-56. For reference, on the Cleartones, the D string is often as thick as a set of a 10s or even 11s a string. It's pretty beefy, and it still breaks.

I have no worries about the design and quality of the Chapman; even on inspection there's nothing to suggest it's a component causing the string failure. The Peavey does has a slightly suspect small groove in the hole; but I don't think it's the root cause.

These strings are giving me a life time of anywhere between one or three weeks - maximum. At worst, I get one gig out of them. This puts the play time of the string anywhere between 14-40 hours on average. It's only ever the D string, the rest are just fine.

It's not like i'm mega detuning or doing anything crazy either. We're a rock-pop band, occasionally I go to drop D but that's it. I'm a very seasoned player, so I don't think my technique is the prime cause either. I am certainly an active player, like I will hit things relatively hard, but it's part of the performance; and I'm certainly not doing it so hard that they should be breaking this often. It's why I started to use heavier gauges, but even they went as well.

For further reference, on the Peavey, prior to the band and gigs, I could often leave strings on for 3-4 months; even after a consistent play time of 1-2 hours a night.

I can only think it's a combination of: changing temperatures, play style, play time, manufacturing of the strings or the guitars. The problem is I can't really control any of those, possibly play style, but then it's part of the performance. I was hoping someone else might have an idea of what it might be or how to prolong their life further, or if they also share the same problem.

Thanks!
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
What kind of picks are you using and how are you wrapping the strings around the tuning peg?

Does the string keep breaking at the bridge or the tuner?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
All you can do is inspect the nut, saddles, and change string brands.

But frankly, given that in one scenario you play 3 hours a day, plus 3 rehearsals a week, plus 2 gigs a week, and you play hard, you should be replacing strings on your own pretty frequently without waiting for them to break. Pros change their strings, what, for every show? Doesn't seem to me that your strings are under-performing, but rather you expect them to over-perform.
Where are they breaking? If it's at the bridge or nut, then there is your culprit. If it's in the middle, then it is metal fatigue.

Try a different brand of strings. That is pretty intense playing, only some sort of coated string should ever be on that long.
Quote by dragonzrmetal
Where are they breaking? If it's at the bridge or nut, then there is your culprit. If it's in the middle, then it is metal fatigue.

Try a different brand of strings. That is pretty intense playing, only some sort of coated string should ever be on that long.

That's actually pretty normal playing for a professional. It's probably NOT the strings (presumably he's wiping them down after use), but, as you allude to in your first paragraph, it could very easily be a burr on a saddle or on a tuner.

Until Anthony1991 returns with more information, that's probably the best we can do.

One other thing, however. Depending on where you buy strings, you may be buying old strings. And if you're someplace where there's a lot of salt air (Malta, Catalina, Sri Lanka, etc.), those strings will be seriously at risk *in the package* before you ever buy them.
Quote by JustRooster
What kind of picks are you using and how are you wrapping the strings around the tuning peg?

Does the string keep breaking at the bridge or the tuner?

Tortex 73mm, they're not super heavy or anything. I did consider using some thinner picks but I hate the feeling of the flappy plastic ones, I get the sensation of not hitting things correctly.

Quote by dthmtl3
All you can do is inspect the nut, saddles, and change string brands.

But frankly, given that in one scenario you play 3 hours a day, plus 3 rehearsals a week, plus 2 gigs a week, and you play hard, you should be replacing strings on your own pretty frequently without waiting for them to break. Pros change their strings, what, for every show? Doesn't seem to me that your strings are under-performing, but rather you expect them to over-perform.

I have used Ernie Ball, Cleartone (coated), and d'Addarios. The components seem absolutely fine in all honesty. Haha the problem is cost! I suppose we're verging full time, but that's still a little ways away yet - in the mean time it's costing me a fair amount. That could be a true statement though about expecting them to over-perform!

Quote by dspellman
That's actually pretty normal playing for a professional. It's probably NOT the strings (presumably he's wiping them down after use), but, as you allude to in your first paragraph, it could very easily be a burr on a saddle or on a tuner.

Until Anthony1991 returns with more information, that's probably the best we can do.

One other thing, however. Depending on where you buy strings, you may be buying old strings. And if you're someplace where there's a lot of salt air (Malta, Catalina, Sri Lanka, etc.), those strings will be seriously at risk *in the package* before you ever buy them.

I'm EU based, typically getting the strings from local stores on through a German/Belgian supplier (Cleartones specifically). If anyone knows of a supplier where I can get just packs and packs of d strings that would be appreciated, because that seems to be the only solution!

Thanks for all the replies!
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I had a similar problem several years back, where I kept breaking the same string (the A-string in my case) at the bridge saddle on at least two different guitars at around the same time. As it turned out, the saddles were developing a burr where the string sat, and that combined with my rather heavy-handed picking technique at the time led to the repeated breakages.

IIRC I replaced those saddles and began to use graphite (ie. pencil lead) on the inside of the saddle every time I changed strings. The pencil lead reduces the strength of metal-on-metal grip between the saddle and string. Or something like that. At any rate, since I started doing that several years ago, I've only broken one string, and that one was on a well-used set, whereas before I could expect to break one every few weeks.

Might be something to try if your strings are breaking at the saddle.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
You answered every question but the one we needed, haha!

Where are the strings breaking? Middle? At the Saddle? At the Tuner?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER