I am having a hard time learning guitar because I always make mistakes no matter how slow the metronome is, I always make it mistake. I feel like a pile a crap every time I make a mistake.

Is there any exercise or way to improve?

And I'm sorry for the stupid username I made this when I was 12 now I am 16.
practice makes perfect. practice without the metronome until you have the pattern down then try it with.

you joined in jan 2015 and aged 4 years in that time.
Hi hulkisexy,

I find this usually breaks down into 2 categories:

Not quite having the pattern you're trying to play down, and lacking a little in the area of timing.

For getting the pattern down, try NOT to use the metronome at first (like monwobobbo) said. Forget about the timing and play through the pattern until you feel like you have it pretty much down.

Then for timing...

A technique I teach my students is to put the guitar down, raise the volume on the metronome, then spend some time literally clapping your hands to the tick. The goal is to make that 'tick' disappear. When you can consistently drown out the metronome, that means your timing is spot on. That's when I would pick the guitar back up and play.

You should find your playing sounding more cohesive almost right away.

And keep at it - if you're frustrated, that never means you're not getting anywhere - getting frustrated really means you're learning something new
Last edited by marcusdiaz81 at Aug 31, 2015,
Quote by monwobobbo
practice makes perfect. practice without the metronome until you have the pattern down then try it with.

you joined in jan 2015 and aged 4 years in that time.

Ha ha no dude, I used google plus to log in and that's why I have this name and thank you for the advice Mon.
Quote by Stephen Quinn
Can you be a bit more specific about your problems, and which areas you are struggling with.

Mistakes are common in the learning process and you should not let them discourage you.

Thanks Stephen for answering my question, I am struggling with scales because whenever I attempt to do a scale I try to do it slowly with a metronome at first but than I make mistakes at it and than I kept at it for two weeks and I don't really much improvement I can't even go beyond 100 BPM I was wondering if anyone had a exercise or something that could help me improve.
Quote by marcusdiaz81
Hi hulkisexy,

I find this usually breaks down into 2 categories:

Not quite having the pattern you're trying to play down, and lacking a little in the area of timing.

For getting the pattern down, try NOT to use the metronome at first (like monwobobbo) said. Forget about the timing and play through the pattern until you feel like you have it pretty much down.

Then for timing...

A technique I teach my students is to put the guitar down, raise the volume on the metronome, then spend some time literally clapping your hands to the tick. The goal is to make that 'tick' disappear. When you can consistently drown out the metronome, that means your timing is spot on. That's when I would pick the guitar back up and play.

You should find your playing sounding more cohesive almost right away.

And keep at it - if you're frustrated, that never means you're not getting anywhere - getting frustrated really means you're learning something new

Thank you for the awesome answer I was wondering if there something that would improve my playing ( Like a exercise). Thank you for the answer I'm going to give it a go!
Quote by hulkisexy
Thanks Stephen for answering my question, I am struggling with scales because whenever I attempt to do a scale I try to do it slowly with a metronome at first but than I make mistakes at it and than I kept at it for two weeks and I don't really much improvement I can't even go beyond 100 BPM I was wondering if anyone had a exercise or something that could help me improve.

As others have said, try to learn the scale without the metronome first. You can even break it down into bite size chunks; try learning and playing the first 8 notes until it is ingrained and then the next 8. After that put them both together and keep going until you can run up and down the scale.

Then move onto the metronome. If you are just starting out them 100BPM may be a little quick. Perhaps you are trying to advance to quickly and aren't nailing it at lower speeds? If you play sloppy at lower speeds then increasing the BPM too fast will only make it worse.

Finally, once you can get you timing (even at slow BPM) you could look at getting a backing track and noodling over it with your new scale. This can make it a lot more fun.
Yeah, I'd start off NOT using the metronome if I were you, and once you get confident you can do you scales and songs with it. In this case, it's not important to get your timing SPOT ON. As long as you have a general sense of the rhythm, just go as slow as you like until you can do the notes easily. Then if you want you can go onto the metronome.

I'm not that much of an expert, just a suggestion ^.^
Start without the metronome and go at your own speed. The key is to build synchronisation between your fretting and picking hands.
Also, be aware of the actions of both hands. Make sure not to over-emphasise the movement of your fingers as you move between frets/strings. Keep the movement to a minimum to build speed. And be sure to push down from the tips of the fingers, not the lower half of the fingers, applying only enough pressure to make the fretted note sound.