I mean, like a 1.00mm pick (hard pick) to hit the Ernie Ball and GHS strings (one on my Dead Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric guitar and one on Epiphone LS Custom Pro electric guitar.

On the Dean guitar, I play hard rock, metal, heavy metal, thrash metal and death metal.

On the Epiphone guitar, I play classic rock, hard rock alternative rock.

Yes, I know the sound is coming from the amp, what you guys said about. However, I got a Talent Show to play in late September and play one song on each guitars for a total of 10 minutes performance. I just want to know what kind of picks are best to use, just play the guitars earlier and fast. It could be any brand.

At least, I have a little issue with Clayton Acetal Rounded Triangle 1.00mm picks tho.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold hardware)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
Depends entirely on personal taste. I use a 0.73mm one for everything but many will argue that that's too thin. Fvck 'em, I like them.
I suggest that you buy a heap of different ones and try them out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It's all personal taste. I like Winspears the best. The taper is very comfy and they glide over strings like nothing I've tried before. I recently started using Gravity Razors for the extreme point over the Winspear Shiv XL.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Cathbard
Depends entirely on personal taste. I use a 0.73mm one for everything but many will argue that that's too thin. Fvck 'em, I like them.

Even then, I'm in love with 0.60mm Snarling Dog picks. For me, it's the thinner, the better.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by aerosmithfan95
Even then, I'm in love with 0.60mm Snarling Dog picks. For me, it's the thinner, the better.

I used to have 1.00mm Snarling Dog picks back in my high school days and now I have lost them. I think they are the best picks to use rather than using Clayton picks.

Maybe I'll try out 0.88mm picks two weeks before the Talent Show.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold hardware)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
contact Strings and Beyond and tell them you want to try a variety of picks and they will hook you up at a very good price

Dunlop will send you a free sampler also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
it is so much personal preference it almost silly.

use what works for you. everybody is different.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Epic Grip has been my go-to pick for over two years. They’re pricey, but worth the money if you can manage to not lose them.
Quote by Cathbard
Depends entirely on personal taste.

+1

It's worth buying different shapes/materials/brands as well as different gauges, since those will affect how they feel and sound as well as the gauge.

It's a bit like the neck profiles thing- there's probably some correlation between style of pick and playing style (gross overgeneralisation, but strummers tend to use thinner picks which shredders tend to use heavier), but it's far from 100% correlation and personal preference trumps all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 1, 2015,
Quote by Cathbard
Depends entirely on personal taste.
Yes, this.

I have this friend who uses .63 fender mediums and can't figure out how I use tortex/delrex 1.14s.

Try a bit of everything and decide for yourself what you like best.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
I used to have 1.00mm Snarling Dog picks back in my high school days and now I have lost them. I think they are the best picks to use rather than using Clayton picks.

Maybe I'll try out 0.88mm picks two weeks before the Talent Show.

I know. I had one of the 0.60mm (don't even know where I've gotten it from) picks for years, and I've lost and found it on numerous occasions. Finally, I just had to buy a pack of them.
Skip the username, call me Billy
I enjoy .90 sharp tips, but I notice that after weeks of playing the sharpness just flattens out.
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."
I've primarily used Dunlop .88 nylon picks for the past... um, well, for a long time. I have my reasons for using them - durability, comfort, grip, and so forth. Prior to that, I tried a lot of different picks before settling on the nylons as my primary pick type. I do occasionally dabble with Tortex picks, I like .73 for those.

It's all about what works best for you. Experiment around with different types, thickness, and brands.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I like normal Fender Thin picks. I buy them by the gross and have used them for so many years any other pick just feels wrong to me. It's the right feel, the right thickness and comes in bright colors I can find at 2:00 in the morning when I'm looking for the ones I dropped while playing on a dark stage. It's all personal.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 6, 2015,
Finding the right pick is a very personal quest. It took me 15 years or so to find my favorite, and ever since, nothing else will do. What I use are Cool 1.0 mm large equilateral triangle picks. With those, I can use all three corners. I can't get along with small picks like Jazz IIIs; my hands are huge. But also, pick material can make a huge difference as well. The Cool picks I use are nylon I believe, and a softer nylon at that. They wear faster than most other materials, but they add something to my tone that I haven't gotten with any other picks. They scrape the strings in a different way and get more of a raspy, growly tone on the string attack.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I've always used a bunch of picks: different shapes, thicknesses, etc for different ocassions.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
For metal, I use Dunlop tortex 1.14mm or 2.0mm for everything else usually Dunlop tortex 0.88mm or 0.73mm.