I think most people would agree that it's easier to play the guitar whilst sitting, however, it looks much cooler to play whilst standing (I play in a metal band so sitting on a stool is a big no no!)

I've learnt the hard way to ensure that the complicated shred solo I've been practising whilst sat on the end of my bed, is also practical to play in a live situation.

I now feel comfortable playing an electric guitar standing up (and even work in a few power slides and windmills ) but I really seem to struggle playing my acoustic standing up.

Although it's much lighter, it's also much bulkier and I seem to struggle to get it into a comfortable position to play whilst standing (FYI I have an Ibanez Artwood acoustic).
I think part of the problem is it doesn't have a strap button on the front to I have to tie the strap to the head stock (just before the nut) and this tends to make it angle more towards the floor. The strap also tends to slide off my shoulder so I'm left trying to hold up the guitar and play it at the same time.

Can anyone give me some advice on how best to set up an acoustic guitar to play whilst standing? I know that it will be largely down to personal preference but in this instance I'm looking for what offers the best stability and playability rather than what looks cooler (I tend to have my electric quite low as I think it looks better)

I know that this isn't a 'guitar technique' as such but IMO the playing position is just as important as say picking technique, etc. so any advice is most appreciated
GUITAR COMPANIES - Contact me if you'd like to sponsor my signature!
I find playing an electric standing up is much better for me. Maybe it's just that I have been doing it for so long it just feels right but I play better standing up.

Now back to the acoustic. One thing that may be a personal thing for me is moving the strap pin to a place that makes it hang better on my body. I have several acoustic electrics and I think I have moved the strap pin on most of them. I like them on the neck heel right at the top of the curve. It's just a personal choice and probably has to do with body size etc. but it works for me and makes playing more comfortable.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 1, 2015,
You could install a strap button into the neck heel of your acoustic, so the strap feels more like it does with your electric, and won't come off your shoulder because of that super wide open angle. That's a super common thing to do.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Put a strap button in front to greatly improve feel and balance. Some drill the neck heel but my guitar has a reinforced spot on the front of the body that I like better. Once the strap sits right, practice standing up.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Putting a strap button on the front like an electric sounds like a good idea. Is it something that's easy to do yourself or would I be better taking it to a guitar shop?
GUITAR COMPANIES - Contact me if you'd like to sponsor my signature!
Neither is inherently easier. It's the one you do more often that is easier. One thing that makes playing standing a lot easier is adjusting the guitar so that it is positioned as closely as possible to when you are sitting (ie the position that is most familiar to you).
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Matriani
Putting a strap button on the front like an electric sounds like a good idea. Is it something that's easy to do yourself or would I be better taking it to a guitar shop?

Depends on your skill level. I think it's pretty easy:

- Find a good solid wood spot that is more than just body veneer.
- Pre-drill a hole with the right size bit to match your screw shank.
- Run in the button screw

Youtube demos are around.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Matriani
I think most people would agree that it's easier to play the guitar whilst sitting, however, it looks much cooler to play whilst standing (I play in a metal band so sitting on a stool is a big no no!)

For me it's about what you are used to more than anything. During periods where I mostly played sitting down I found playing standing up kind of awkward, and during periods where I mostly played standing up I found playing sitting down kind of awkward. If I practiced both ways both of them felt normal.