Hi,

I have cleaned my Yamaha Pacifica 112V in general. I used a soft sponge and I also cleaned the pick ups... With wet cloth. Previously, I had the pick-ups taped over because I hated the fact that scratches appear so quickly. I took the tape off and I noticed a lot of sticky tape gunk so I decided to remove it (clean it) with LCD screen cleaner that is based on alcohol. It worked perfectly, it's now really clean but later I decided to clean it further with a soft, wet piece of cloth. It took me a long time to get rid of the gunk so I'm not sure whether I damaged the pick-ups and I need new ones or it all should be fine?

Guitar is almost brand new. Hardly played on it.

After I cleaned the guitar and dry wiped everything, I plugged it in and checked if it works. Everything seems to be okay but I wanted to ask whether I caused any damage? I'm almost certainly sure everything was dry when I plugged the guitar in.

I don't know if sound quality is worse or the same. Absolutely no clue.

(Yes I am a beginner and I got a little OCD)
As long as the pickup plays and sounds.. I think it is fine.. I am not an expert anyway
Nothing in a pickup a little water could damage. It's just coils of waxed copper around a magnet. If it was soaked I would let it dry before playing, but just a damp cloth, that'll be fine.
A wet rag probably isn't your best choice, but damp should be fine. Buy some Goo Gone or Goof Off to remove sticker residue next time.

Moisture getting into your coil wire (particularly *sweat* getting into your coil wires) can be a problem. There are tiny micro-holes in the enamel insulation surrounding the copper wire, and if something like sweat gets into one of those holes, the copper will corrode. As it corrodes, it creates tiny crystals that are needle-sharp and that can pierce the insulation. If they do that and penetrate an adjacent wire as well, then THAT bit of copper begins to corrode, and eventually you have a shorted pickup.

One way to help prevent that is to keep your guitar wiped down. Another is to keep the tape around open coil wire intact. And yet another is to keep your guitar IN THE CASE as much as possible and toss in a VCI (www.theruststore.com for more information on emitters) to help prevent corrosion to metal parts.
Quote by dragonzrmetal
Nothing in a pickup a little water could damage. It's just coils of waxed copper around a magnet. If it was soaked I would let it dry before playing, but just a damp cloth, that'll be fine.

Very often, wax is not present at all in a pickup.
Coil wire is copper (sometimes silver) with a thin enamel (or poly) coating as insulation.

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Wire/Enamel_Coated_Pickup_Coil_Wire.html
So I played it and it appears to be fine, however I don't know if the magnets are plated or not BUT.....

I noticed 6 small dots on the pickup magnets and it's really frustrating. I only recently started learning and this guitar is almost brand-new (it's also my 1st guitar).

I noticed these dots and I wanted to ask if they will not cause anything?
http://oi60.tinypic.com/2j0m6vn.jpg

(if you can see just zoom in slightly to see it)

I'm not sure if those dots were there before, but I noticed them very recently after the cleaning.

On the picture you can see the dot. This one is the biggest, rest is barely visible from 10cm if you look at it.

This is the 1st time I cleaned my guitar, and I have to admit cleaning it for 2 hours was a long but I had to get rid of that tape sticky gunk.
Last edited by TheNaitsyrk at Sep 1, 2015,
I have always been told not to mix pickups and water. If they are perfectly sealed everything would be fine. We live far away from a perfect world.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
I don't think that the sound quality suffered at all. Sounds the same to me, but I just don't like how those dots look and I'd love to cover them if it's even possible. It's my 1st guitar and I screwed up, bigtime.
Quote by dspellman
Very often, wax is not present at all in a pickup.
Coil wire is copper (sometimes silver) with a thin enamel (or poly) coating as insulation.

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Wire/Enamel_Coated_Pickup_Coil_Wire.html

Unfortunately, I think the black dots appeared because some of the insulation you mentioned got wiped off when I was cleaning it (I mean the pickup magnet thing)