The other day I got yet another guitar, an Ibanez RG420... since I never had active pickups, decided to give it a try with this new acquisition, so I immediately ordered EMG 81 and EMG 60, which will be arriving soon. I also ordered a 3-way switch.

With both new EMG's and the switch, do you know if I'll have all parts needed to put it all together? One thing I realized is that I need "short shaft" pots, and I'm not sure what the EMG's come with.
Where did you order it from? Looking at the EMG website, both is possible, they let you choose.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
I ordered from a Canadian distributor (Axe Music) to cut down on the shipping costs (I'm in Canada). Unlike the EMG site, there were no options to select...hmm
Furthermore, the EMG site allows choosing shaft size only for the 81, and no choice is given for the 60. I wonder what it comes with standard (I need only 2 pots anyway). The website says only this:

IN THE BOX
EMG'S EXCLUSIVE QUIK-CONNECT™ CABLE, PREWIRED SPLIT SHAFT VOLUME/TONE CONTROL SET, OUTPUT JACK, BATTERY CLIP SET, SCREWS & SPRINGS.
Give them a call or send an email?

1-866-373-3293 / webmail[at]axemusic.com

Otherwise, you can get the shafts from eBay, if necessary.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
It's too late now, they processed the order right away, in fact it hit the post office a couple of hours after i ordered. I guess i should wait and see what I'll get.
They come with the standard short shaft pots (if you need the long shaft pots, you'd have to custom order or ask, but the short shaft pots come standard). Which will fit perfect in your Ibanez.
Basically, it comes with everything you need and you'll probably even have left over parts (like the output jack, the 2 extra pots, another buss, etc.)
All you need is spare wire to attach to the buss and solder to the pickup switch and that's it.
The wiring should be solderless. (the pickup switch is the only soldering you need to do.)
It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to have the guitar up and running with the new EMG's.
As long as you follow the instructions, you'll be fine.

EDIT: Also, if you can, try the 18 volt mod which requires (2) 9 volt batteries. You can buy them around $4, or make them yourself for about a dollar. (just remember, always solder red to black, never black to black or red to red IF you decide to make an 18volt mod cable.)
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at Sep 2, 2015,
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
They come with the standard short shaft pots (if you need the long shaft pots, you'd have to custom order or ask, but the short shaft pots come standard). Which will fit perfect in your Ibanez.
Basically, it comes with everything you need and you'll probably even have left over parts (like the output jack, the 2 extra pots, another buss, etc.)
All you need is spare wire to attach to the buss and solder to the pickup switch and that's it.
The wiring should be solderless. (the pickup switch is the only soldering you need to do.)
It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to have the guitar up and running with the new EMG's.
As long as you follow the instructions, you'll be fine.

EDIT: Also, if you can, try the 18 volt mod which requires (2) 9 volt batteries. You can buy them around $4, or make them yourself for about a dollar. (just remember, always solder red to black, never black to black or red to red IF you decide to make an 18volt mod cable.)

Just the reply I was looking for, thank you!

Yes, I'll try the 18 volt mod if I can find space in the cavity for a second battery (I don't want it hanging out outside, and I'm not good with using a router...). Wiring the EMG's will not be a problem, I am pretty good with the soldering iron and I have experience with basic electronics.

Thanks again!
You'll need to change the output jack too. Actives use a stereo jack to connect the battery into the circuit when a cable is plugged in.

If you bypass this you will constantly drain the battery(ies).

Don't keep a guitar with actives plugged in when you're not using it (like on a stand) for the same reason.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Courier just delivered the EMG's. Too bad I won't have even a minute of time today to install them, but a quick glance at what's inside---as Chaz-6(sic)6 said, they appear to be with short shafts. Taking a ruler through the packaging, I measured about half inch or so (very rough measurement). I know the long shafts are at least .75 inches. Can't wait to put them in!
Gotta say, I don't know why I waited for so long. All of my other guitars have Seymour Duncans, and this is the first time I'm installing EMG. It's 3:30am, I'm done installing them, and more importantly---I love them!!! It is true it is very late, forcing me to use the attenuator, but they sound so crystal and nice!!! I have two amps---a Peavey 6505 and a Bugera V55. Can't wait to crank them up tomorrow!

The only difficulty I experienced was physically fitting the pickups in the cavities. I used a little foam under them to raise them, but the wood screws that are typical for my Ibanez wouldn't go through the holes of the pickups, had to drill away the threading. In the end, I'm satisfied. Oh, and the 3-way switch hasn't arrived yet, so I hooked it up to the 5-way temporarily, ensuring I have at least one position of bridge only, one for neck only, and one for both. The other two positions repeat the Bridge and the combination. Anyway, looks like I've got a winner!
Awesome. Glad everything worked out.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab