Hey guys! I am building a completely stripped Les Paul. It used to be an Epiphone Les Paul Junior, but I drilled in a hole for another pickup, put a toggle switch near the neck, put in the 2 tone, 2 volume and kept the wrap around (but I added in one from another retailer that allows inotation adjustment) It was never painted though.... Which was very weird, so I put on a custom Midnight Blue color (Very dark blue, looks like it's black) with blue metallic ghost flecks. Along with that, I put in Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 and Jazz SH-2n. Now, I would like to continue building guitars like this, but the only problem is I can't seem to bring in enough cash. So I was wondering, from the perspective of other guitar players, what they think this would be worth? Thanks!
Last edited by Shadeyside at Sep 1, 2015,
buy really beat up ones people want to get rid of on the used market. sometimes you may get lucky. this can be local like craigslist , gumtree or sometimes ebay but ebay people tend to sell for more as they can ship internationally.

as for pickups , use cheap chinese ones

i think the most money you can make if you were meticulous is if you cut bodies, you don't even have to paint them either. If you're in north america especially I'd do it if I had the tools. Just make sure you get the right templates and measurements. Oddly enough I talked to dean zelinsky about a guitar with just a bridge , tuners and a fretted neck. No routings besides the bridge at all. Dean probably thought I was high or something. My justification was an acoustic you can practice in apartments late at night.

as a luthier though i guess two routes you can go
boring and traditional - les pauls , sgs , super strats (Rg) and regular strats , jazz and P-basses. One builder outside of where i live pretty much his second job is poorly building fender rip offs. My friend who refrets guitars hates the mans work because by the time my friend is done fixing up the mans mistakes in his fender knock offs he can buy brand new american fenders (not specials).

or a little more extreme like 7 or 8 strings, neckthrough , modern parts and electronics. But change terrifies most. As we know though certain countries have different items that sell better this is why some countries get stuff others don't as with their marketing research they think that say this pair of Nike shoes won't sell in this part of america but it will in another. Same can be said about chip flavors to just about anything else. Question is though what will make you stand out. Strandberg for example has headless guitars , BC Rich and Dean have extreme shapes ..etc.

flipping guitars is rewarding as you learn a lot but you won't get rich doing it. Never take a risk, understand local going rates if you live in a large enough city and think unoriginal or do what others treating gutiars as real estate won't depending on the situation but usually the guitars you make the most money off of are ones that kids gave up trying to fix.I got an RG350 for like 100$ with two seymour duncans once, made almost 350$ on it or so by the time i sold and installed everything. This is canada going rates of course. It didn't happen over night but honestly, just have fun and treat it as a hobby. If you can't google a guitars value don't bother buying it unless it's pretty much being given away how cheap it is.

one example
bought this for around 200$

took the pickguard off, re-wired it with better everything and a custom wiring i came up with, copper shielded it for clarity

and put a new pickguard on , question is would i play it? no, would i have kept it, no. But I made almost double on this by the time I finished this project.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Sep 1, 2015,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
TBH, you might get back the money you spent on pickups.

^^^^This

"Upgrading" or "customizing" such a guitar will likely never net a profit.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by Shadeyside
Hey guys! I am building a completely stripped Les Paul. It used to be an Epiphone Les Paul Junior, but I drilled in a hole for another pickup, put a toggle switch near the neck, put in the 2 tone, 2 volume and kept the wrap around (but I added in one from another retailer that allows inotation adjustment) It was never painted though.... Which was very weird, so I put on a custom Midnight Blue color (Very dark blue, looks like it's black) with blue metallic ghost flecks. Along with that, I put in Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 and Jazz SH-2n. Now, I would like to continue building guitars like this, but the only problem is I can't seem to bring in enough cash. So I was wondering, from the perspective of other guitar players, what they think this would be worth? Thanks!

$100

If you want to fix-up old guitars to sell, you need to buy decent, but cheap parts when you do things like pickup/tuner swaps.
www.guitarfetish.com is great if your in the USA so are these sites http://guitarheadspickups.com/
http://dragonfireguitars.com/
ebay is another great place to source cheap parts, but be prepared to wait if your ordering from china
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Shadeyside
Now, I would like to continue building guitars like this, but the only problem is I can't seem to bring in enough cash.

Find something else to do.
ime, consider restoring quality guitars with quality parts. don't think of it as flipping -that sounds like reality tv.
Last edited by ad_works at Sep 2, 2015,
What you're doing is a false economy. You're going to be making a loss on every mod you make as all components that are not brand new depreciate as soon as they're out of the door. And mods don't really add significant market value to a guitar, generally. If you do modstat are irreversible or you don't include the original parts, you actually end up devaluing them.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend