What do you guys think about scratches on the electric guitar? I find it extremely annoying but I know it cannot be avoided.
Meh.

If I'd bought my guitars to look at, they'd be in glass cases mounted on the wall.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Scratch happens.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
For some reason, scratches annoy the hell outta me and I hate them. Too bad they cannot be removed agh!
I bought an SG a little while back. It had some dents and scratches. So I covered them with STICKERS!
Quote by jpnyc
I bought an SG a little while back. It had some dents and scratches. So I covered them with STICKERS!

I was thinking to do the same, but every scratch is in a weird place so I better keep them as they are. D:
I've never seriously scratched a guitar. Only surface marks. A deep scratch might look weird, but general wear doesn't bother me. It looks lived in. A guitar deserves to be played.
Also, if you really can’t stand scratches, play guitars that have a thick polyurethane finish. The MIK Schecter, LTD, and PRS SE guitars are all pretty much armor plated, because the World Music Industries factory lays it on thick.
I'll be fine with the scratches after some period of time. My piano's almost 6 years old and after 6 months of having it, any scratches stopped to bother me really. I just wanted to see what people think about them scratches.
Quote by TheNaitsyrk
What do you guys think about scratches on the electric guitar? I find it extremely annoying but I know it cannot be avoided.

Don't care. Long as it plays well.
Quote by Tony Done
I'm a dingophobe, it's one of the reasons I prefer to buy old beat-up guitars.

Now THAT is weird. That's like a guy scared of heights living on the 80th floor of the Empire State Building
Quote by TobusRex
Now THAT is weird. That's like a guy scared of heights living on the 80th floor of the Empire State Building

Ha, you misunderstand, my fault. I don't mind at all if someone else has put the dings in them before I get it, I just hate doing it myself to a pristine guitar. I'm not worried about a few extra dings on an already-beat-up one.
I don't like scratches on my guitars, but it happens. You learn to love em after a while.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I don't really care. Guitars are meant to be played, not put in a museum.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Tony Done
Ha, you misunderstand, my fault. I don't mind at all if someone else has put the dings in them before I get it, I just hate doing it myself to a pristine guitar. I'm not worried about a few extra dings on an already-beat-up one.

Oh I figured it out...but it's still a little weird
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I don't really care. Guitars are meant to be played, not put in a museum.

MY guitar will be in a museum someday. Whether it's a memorial to a great guitar player or a serial killer is a different issue altogether.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
I don't like scratches on my guitars, but it happens. You learn to love em after a while.

Yep the first scratch is always the worst but then you forget about it after a while.............unless you cover it with stickers
It bums me out when I start to see the first scratches and nicks on a new guitar, but whatever. It happens. I'm not worried about resale value. I intend to continue to play and use every guitar I own. Just noticed two tiny little dings I've put in the binding on my Hellraiser Hybrid, that I just got a couple weeks ago. They're really bugging me, because the binding is beautiful, and the guitar is otherwise flawless, but I put em there, and there's going to be more over the many many years I'll be playing this thing.

An acoustic guitar, particularly a nice one, is a different story. I'm stupid careful and gentle with acoustics, and bad scuffing or dings will definitely turn me off of buying a used one, even if it's quite old.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
1. Buy guitars with thicker poly finishes.
2. Wax them every couple of months (carnauba paste wax is probably best).
3. Buff 'em out every now and then.
I hate putting marks on any of my gear especially guitars. It can get out of hand though. I have a beautiful Gibson Custom Shop SJ200 M acoustic in quilted maple but am frightened to play it in case I mark it! It's on Ebay now and have bought an Epi that won't break my heart if I mark it.
I don't abuse my guitars intentionally but I play out a lot and stuff just happens. I look on scratches and dings as "battle scars". It means my guitars are loved and played often.

I just recently worked on my oldest guitar an Ibanez Les Paul copy I bought in 1976 that needed serious neck work. I re-fretted it completely, sanded the fretboard, put new binding on the neck (with fret nibs) sanded the neck and headstock and had it refinished (all under the watchful eye of a great luthier I apprentice with). I was going to also do the body but we both agreed that the many dings, scratches and surface finish cracks from age and weather changes over 39 years of hard playing and road use, gives the guitar a certain character. I'm not going to refinish the body. While I would never relic a guitar on purpose, I appreciate any normal wear and tear.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 2, 2015,
I'm planning to buy some replacement parts, so I know when old ones are in a bad shape (as in scratches to hell) I have parts to replace them with.
I love stuff like that (cosmetic damage etc) because a lot of people freak the hell out over them and then I get stuff DIRT cheap. One of my guitars that usually goes for $750-ish used, I got it for $199 because it has a finish crack by the neck. I took one look at it and knew it was just in the clearcoat, it has held perfectly for 6+ years of heavy gigging.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
I don't worry much about battle scars any more. This old thing was beat to hell when I got it, I'm not sure how much shows here, but it's pretty rough...

harmony4 by Paleo Pete, on Flickr

I started calling it character long ago...

Click on it, click for full size and look at the bottom edge and headstock...it had all that and more when I got it. That's just what you can see...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Sep 4, 2015,
I buy stuff to use so I never worry about it but it's true, unless you buy a guitar and never play it or take it out of its case it will get some blemishes, scratches and/or dents, it's just what happens no matter how careful you are. To me it adds character and perhaps a story too. Some ware mojo makes a guitar look cool I think.