Hey guys. My coworker got into a little administrative tangle at work, and I thought it was bs that HR isn't helping him to fix it. He's also a bit of a pushover sometimes, so I don't think he has been pushing back enough. So I'm asking some of you guys.

He started working two years ago. Our offer letters at this company (in America, by the way) state that we're granted restricted stock units on our start date, and they vest over four years. However, he didn't check to make sure that the RSUs were put into place, so two years into the job, he realizes that they were never granted. He got them to grant the RSUs, but the effective start date is this year, so despite his being employed for two years, if he leaves the company, he doesn't get any RSUs because technically none of it has vested.

I'm wondering: is this bullshit? Isn't he legally entitled to some kind of workaround to get him the two years' worth of RSUs?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
He would need to check out the initial employee contract, but might be SOL if he had to elect for it/accept offer at time/different job position etc. Havent looked at contract law in a while, so dont take any of this as advice/fact, but pretty sure that the original employing letters dont constitute as an offer.

/r/Legaladvice would probably help a lot more than here
Well, thanks for the reply. Neither of us remember there being given employee contracts besides the legal W-9 and etc. forms, which we signed and returned...

I'll learn from his mistake, at least
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Check out the differences between defined benefit v. defined contribution plans too though. Social Security is... ehhh.... once it hits 2033.
You vest watch your back.

Ahaha.

I didn't read any of that, I just saw the word vesting and thought vest pun.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line