Hey guys, my band and I have recently gotten really into melodic death metal. A couple weeks ago, we started working on our first song in this style. Even though i am not new to playing metal, these technical riffs are still a bit tricky to come up with and actually sound good to my ear. The idea was to come up with lots of different parts and rhythm changes. i know the recording quality is not the best, but this video is meant to show the early stages of a song. I would love to hear your opinions and/or tips to improve!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmJ3qOtARM4
what's melodeath about this at all

some of the riffs are okay, pretty generic though. not really something i'd be willing to listen to for any period of time but it's a good start i guess
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
If I liked that sort of stuff, I'd probably think that sounded awesome enough. But of course I can't be sure.
You have a lot of good ideas there, but try to make it sound like a coherent song. I think you have enough material now (maybe even a bit too much, depending on how long you want the song to be). The song kind of lacks structure. It just goes forward all the time. I also don't think the tempo changes have that good flow. It definitely needs more repetition, and some kind of a sense of structure.

The parts kind of feel separate from each other. Especially the intro. It's too short to really have a meaning. Actually, this is the case with pretty much everything here. It just feels like riffs after riffs.

You are kind of playing too much stuff. It is good to have a lot of happening in a song - that makes it sound interesting - but you also need to be able to connect the stuff well, and not make it sound like the topic changes all the time. So think about the structure. If you want to use all the riffs that you played here in a single song, you want to make the song longer.

I'm not into melodic death metal, but whatever, the same stuff applies to all genres. I think for example Dream Theater is pretty good at writing songs with lots of stuff and making it still sound like one song. Though sometimes it gets a bit over the top and it feels like there are too many ideas that don't fit together that well.

And by repetition I don't mean add repeats to one section of the song (well, that wouldn't hurt either). I mean, have a theme that is played many times in many different parts of the song. A pretty simple and common structure would be A B A B C B which is what a lot of pop songs use. I'm not saying you should use this kind of a structure. But do something like that.

You can always do variations of one section. The A section doesn't always have to be exactly the same.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Yeah, nothing wrong with the riffs. I think they sounded pretty good. But right now it's not a song. It's just a bunch of ideas played one after another. To write a song, you need some kind of a structure. Yeah, singing melody and lyrics may help. Think in terms of verse, chorus, bridge, etc. Which of the riffs do you want to use in verse? What is the chorus riff? Do you want the song to progress a lot, or just stick with a simple verse-chorus style structure? Do you even want to have a chorus and a verse (well, having a clear verse and chorus will be easier to make sound good - if the song is constantly changing, it is harder to make sound like a coherent piece)?

I guess as a guitarist it's pretty easy to fall in a trap where you only think about riffs, and not about the most important part - the melody. If you only think about riffs, of course you will write dozens of them per song because it will sound boring if it only has two riffs that are repeated over and over again when you are playing it on guitar alone. But it's not meant to be listened to as a guitar solo. All of the different parts (bass, drums, guitar, vocals, maybe keys, whatever) are meant to work together. Riff is just something that supports the melody. It is meant to be repeated. You don't want to change it all the time, because the listener has no time to process what's happening before you have already changed the part. That will make the song sound like a mess. So maybe the next thing would be creating a melody and focusing on that.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
i mean that's what melodic means

that there's a melody

lol
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
@Hail, Maybe you should give real advice instead of making dumb ass comments that leave you looking like an idiot. But the again, what can you expect from someone who probably sits all day behind a computer with a bag of Cheetos and an orange dick lol

To the other guys who actually wrote something worth reading, i really appreciate your critique. I will definitely take your suggestions into consideration in order to grow as a musician! This is by no means a completed song yet, but i will mess around with the structure next time i practice with my band.
This is not the forum to post your recordings and ask for critique.

Please use the forum linked to in the first post. (original recordings)

I didn't listen in order to critique but can say that simply by doing it and putting yourself out there you've passed a point a lot of people never even get to. So congratulations. Keep at it and good luck. Just try to post in the right forum next time, Thanks.

Closed.
Si