I have just bought an emg 89 bridge pickup that comes with a volume pot. I was thinking of installing it into my ltd v-50 that has passive pickups. Is there a ny way for me to install the active in the bridge while maintaining the passive neck humbucker? Or do i have to get another active pot? I was thinking of using one 500k pot for the passive and one 25k pot for the emg. Is it possible to do so? If it is, does anyone have a wiring diagram that would help?
Last edited by JoeMNAM at Sep 1, 2015,
pots come down to resistance. The three major kinds are

25k - active single coils to humbuckers
250k - single coils
500k - passive humbuckers

usually with pots their resistance plays a major role with passives. The lower the resistance the darker the sound. Turn a guitars volume down to 1 and you'll notice it gets really dark. This is because you've "Turned" a 250k pot to 25k (1 out of 10 on a volumes roughly 25k, or 50k on a 500k)

I get asked about this all the time so here you go, it's christmas somewhere

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Sep 1, 2015,
pots come down to resistance. The three major kinds are

25k - active single coils to humbuckers
250k - single coils
500k - passive humbuckers

usually with pots their resistance plays a major role with passives. The lower the resistance the darker the sound. Turn a guitars volume down to 1 and you'll notice it gets really dark. This is because you've "Turned" a 250k pot to 25k (1 out of 10 on a volumes roughly 25k, or 50k on a 500k)

So you mean i will need two 25k pots? Can it be done with one 25k and one 500k?
one 25k for your active , the way this schematic works is that you are isolating both pots so that both pickups work properly.

500k for the passive so you get the right sound.

this diagram I was too lazy to paste a regular volume pot as I don't have one currently "made". So if you don't plan to do a coil split any more ignore the push pull portion of this.

there are however two kinds of push pull single coil tones
coil split - which is what this wiring does
a traditional single coil sound with the 60 cycle hum

coil tap (parallel) - this is a weaker hum cancelling tone.

parallel is below, this is a bit of a headache to photoshop into a diagram but anyways..

ground to the back of the pot (bottle left off the push pull)
the bottom right of this diagram goes to the wiper portion of your volume
everything else solders the same. I'm not a big fan of parallel but if you ever miss the hum cancelling (im pretty sure) sound of the 89 this is an option.

any other wiring questions send me a private message though.

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Sep 1, 2015,