Hey,

I got axe fx II and I am looking for good power amp for it.
Could you recommend anything ? Is it worth to buy TUBE power amp ?
It's really up to you and your budget. A solid state power amp will overall likely be more reliable, but I've heard a few testimonials (namely from the guys in BTBAM) that an Axe FX with a tube power amp can be almost impossible to distinguish from the real thing. They use the Mesa 2:Ninety.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Meh, tube power amps made by guitar amps manufacturers are insanely overpriced.

I'd def get a solid state power amp.
More power, more reliability, less weight, less cost...
Something like a yamy P2500S.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Heard nothing but good things about the 2:90, most people i've seen using a poweramp live with a AxeFx have used those. And whilst its not exactly the same i've used my Dual Rectifier as a poweramp for my AxeFx Ultra and it sounds freaking great.

I remember people were going apeshit about the solid state Matrix preamps a while back, so probably worth looking those up
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Unless you intend to get into power end distortion, there's no significant benefit to a tube power amp. Of course some will claim they simply sound better, and audio snobs worldwide would agree, but IMO the overall quality of the power amp assembly is more important than the technology used.

While I'm a huge fan of tube amplifiers, it's because of the preamps for the most part.

Now the one amp often suggested here that bucks that trend is the Vypyr Tube 60 (or 120) but that's because similar SS amps in the same price range have asstastic power ends, not because the 6505 power end used in the Vypyrs is a magical circuit of some sort.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
EV ZLX-12p
Never look back
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Avoid tube power amps if you’ll be modeling the power sections of amps. Tube power circuits compress your signal. So if you’re modeling the power amps and sending it to a cranked tube power amp your sound can get over compressed and turn to mush.
Quote by jpnyc
Avoid tube power amps if you’ll be modeling the power sections of amps. Tube power circuits compress your signal. So if you’re modeling the power amps and sending it to a cranked tube power amp your sound can get over compressed and turn to mush.

All power circuits compress your signal if they are run beyond their linear region, it's not a function of tubes alone, and if you're modeling power sections you shouldn't ever run in the non-linear region anyway, regardless of the technology used.
Charles Darwin
Any old car amplifier powered with a PSU of any PC you have lying around, or get one for less than 50 usd dollars (Computer PSU)

Should be doable and cheaper than getting a power amp made for guitarists.
Quote by sfx
Any old car amplifier powered with a PSU of any PC you have lying around, or get one for less than 50 usd dollars (Computer PSU)

Charles Darwin
Quote by johnson84
Hey,

I got axe fx II and I am looking for good power amp for it.
Could you recommend anything ? Is it worth to buy TUBE power amp ?

Last question first: No.

I have a Carvin TS100 (50W/50W EL34 or 6L6 power) and a Mesa 2:90. I've used them with other rack preamp gear, including a Carvin Quad-X and a Mesa Triaxis, and I gave them a run for a while with my own Axe-FX Ultra and some PODs. I then picked up a Carvin DCM1540L (1500W solid state power amp) and am currently using them with a Carvin HD1500 (1500W, bridged, mono at 4 ohms or about 900W at 8 ohms).

The Mesa weighs a ton (actually something like 35 pounds). It has really mediocre harmonic distortion characteristics and it's delicate. Drop one from waist height onto a parking lot surface on the way into a venue and you'll have a severely bent chassis and maybe some of the eight 6L6 power tubes broken. Buying one will probably cost you around $500-600 (used?) these days and it'll cost you $150 for eight new power tubes, plus another similar amount for backups.

The Carvin TS100 is *far* better in terms of THD (it's pretty much audiophile quality), but it still weighs 25 pounds.

The HD1500, with 15X the power available, weighs just 9 lbs and costs about $320.

More importantly, however, is that power tubes add absolutely nothing good (particularly true of the Mesa or the Marshall equivalent) to an Axe-FX II, and you've just spent $3,000 (if you bought the foot controller as well) only to have it force you to EQ out what those power tubes bring to the party.

If you're going to spend more money, you might just want to look at the Atomic CLR (Atomic and Fractal are brother companies), a full range coaxial 12" plus 1" compression driver speaker cabinet designed by Mitchell in both active and passive versions. I think the passive versions weigh in at 45 lbs, the active versions around 50 lbs (the neo-based version is about 15 lbs less) and have a 500W solid state amp built in. Probably a grand for the active version, another $300-400 for the neo-based active version.

I'm using the 1500W Carvin with either one or two fEARful 15/6/1 or fEARless F115 cabinets (these are also full-range cabinets).
^ I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said it was stupid beyond words.

But that's only because it is.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
^ I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said it was stupid beyond words.

But that's only because it is.

You have issues dude.
Quote by sfx
You have issues dude.

Acknowledged, but I'm not the one suggesting you run your high-end modeler through an Automotive Audio Amp (most of which are absolute crap) powered by a PC PSU...

I'm sorry but that's, as has been noted, truly stupid beyond words for any number of reasons. Just because something is possible doesn't automagically make it a good idea.

Tell you what though, in the interest of fairness, how about you link your idea of a PC PSU and Car Amp that would work well, and let's just examine the cost and feasibility of your idea for a few minutes?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Acknowledged, but I'm not the one suggesting you run your high-end modeler through an Automotive Audio Amp (most of which are absolute crap) powered by a PC PSU...

I'm sorry but that's, as has been noted, truly stupid beyond words for any number of reasons. Just because something is possible doesn't automagically make it a good idea.

Tell you what though, in the interest of fairness, how about you link your idea of a PC PSU and Car Amp that would work well, and let's just examine the cost and feasibility of your idea for a few minutes?

There're quite a bunch of youtube videos showing how to connect the car amp with a PC PSU. Even a 13 year old did it.

But that's not the main point I think.

The main point is you seem to have some sort of grudge against anyone who's even questioned you once, and you go all out being a try hard to run someone else down while making yourself look very superior and intelligent, trying to retain some guru reputation.

My advice is, lighten up, there is no need to pick and win every fights just for the sake of winning.

Everyone has their own opinions on how to do certain things and whether it is the best or not is up to whoever is asking the question to decide for themselves.
Quote by sfx
There're quite a bunch of youtube videos showing how to connect the car amp with a PC PSU. Even a 13 year old did it.

But that's not the main point I think.

The main point is you seem to have some sort of grudge against anyone who's even questioned you once, and you go all out being a try hard to run someone else down while making yourself look very superior and intelligent, trying to retain some guru reputation.

My advice is, lighten up, there is no need to pick and win every fights just for the sake of winning.

Everyone has their own opinions on how to do certain things and whether it is the best or not is up to whoever is asking the question to decide for themselves.

Once again, I didn't say it couldn't be done because clearly it can, I just said it was a stupid idea.

I have no specific heartache with you, and I've seen you give valid advice elsewhere, but when you say stupid shit then yes, I'm going to call you (or anyone else) on it. Your last line here now....wow....just wow...if you really believe that it's a bit scary TBH. Anyone with even a modicum of rational thought can see the flaws inherent in that sentence.

I am also noting a trend here in that when you are asked to actually discuss your claims/opinions/suggestions, you move along to something else.

I suggest once again that we examine your suggestion from a rational standpoint, and to do that I think the best place to start is for you to provide an example of equipment you feel would be appropriate.

Your move.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Sep 2, 2015,
Quote by Arby911
Once again, I didn't say it couldn't be done because clearly it can, I just said it was a stupid idea.

I have no specific heartache with you, and I've seen you give valid advice elsewhere, but when you say stupid shit then yes, I'm going to call you (or anyone else) on it. Your last line here now....wow....just wow...if you really believe that it's a bit scary TBH. Anyone with even a modicum of rational thought can see the flaws inherent in that sentence.

I am also noting a trend here in that when you are asked to actually discuss your claims/opinions/suggestions, you move along to something else...

Simple, nobody wants to waste time with someone who is disrespectful and a douchebag.

You expect me to entertain you with specifics when you ran my ideas down with a meme? I am not going to waste my time explaining to someone who has no respect for my suggestions, or to someone who I think is only interested to pick a fight to make himself look like he's standing on the higher ground.

Move along, to each his own.
Quote by sfx
Simple, nobody wants to waste time with someone who is disrespectful and a douchebag.

You expect me to entertain you with specifics when you ran my ideas down with a meme? I am not going to waste my time explaining to someone who has no respect for my suggestions, or to someone who I think is only interested to pick a fight to make himself look like he's standing on the higher ground.

Move along, to each his own.

Well, I note that only one of us has degenerated to personal insults...

FWIW, I didn't actually expect you to provide specifics and I expect that we both, as well as anyone else reading this, know why.

Have a nice day.
Charles Darwin
Quote by sfx

I don't mean to ignite this any further, but given that the guy spent $3K (assuming he bought the foot pedal) for the preamp, presumably in search of Ultimate Toan, etc., and given that he's talking about spending another, say, $600 for a Mesa power amp, why in the world would you think it would be important to be able to save a few bucks and use a $50 buck power amp?

Certainly possible, but just all out of proportion spendy-wise.

And of course the TS hasn't reappeared. Probably ran screaming for the hills.

Last edited by dspellman at Sep 2, 2015,