I need a longer wire for my monitors. I have ErisE4.5. One of the monitors is "active" and is connected to the other one with a cord with red and black channels. The end of the cord has two bronze connectors. You plug the end coming from the red channel (i.e., side) of the cord to the red in on the monitor. The black one works the same way.

Saw of few of these cords on Amazon. But too expensive. Someone said I could get lamp cord from the hardware store; that it works the same way. Is this true? I don't want any loss in speed or sound.

Another issue: The lamp cords I have seen have the two broze ends, but both channels of the cord are the same color. Therefore, I can't tell which to plug into the red in on the active monitor and which to plug into the black end.

Could someone tell me what to do? Thanks.
Lamp cord is not "hip" right now for speaker wire but it has been used in pro applications for 80 years and works perfectly fine. Look for some that is marked for polarity with one side of the insulation different than the other.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by selftaught1000
Saw of few of these cords on Amazon. But too expensive. Someone said I could get lamp cord from the hardware store; that it works the same way. Is this true? I don't want any loss in speed or sound.
Whatever power cable, you can even recycle a power supply cable.

A speaker cable might have better capacity and impedance, but considering the level at which you're working it'll unlikely be a problem.
Quote by selftaught1000
Another issue: The lamp cords I have seen have the two broze ends, but both channels of the cord are the same color. Therefore, I can't tell which to plug into the red in on the active monitor and which to plug into the black end.
You don't have a multimeter?
Get a multimeter.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
So I need a multimeter to use a lamp cord as a speaker wire? I really appreciate the help, but this is getting confusing.
Quote by selftaught1000
So I need a multimeter to use a lamp cord as a speaker wire?
You said it was a problem for you to understand what "bronze end" on one end of the cable corresponded to what end on the other end of the cable.
For that you need a multimeter unless you want to follow the cable for its entire length.

If I misunderstood and you simply didn't know what bronze end to connect to what channel, they they're the same, the colors are used only for identification of what has been connected where - you connect the black cable to the black connectors on the speakers and the red cable to the red connectors, tho you might as well do the opposite, it would simply be more confusing
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Do you mean the clamps on the top right?

That'll take pretty much any generic speaker wire. Say you get one with black and white coloring, white is red, black is black. Keep these color designations throughout your wiring and you'd be fine. A lamp chord won't have these though so you'll just have to follow the cable.

Speaker cable - generic speaker cable could be found at Radio Shack and other electronics stores. The bigger (fatter) the cable, the better. I think it goes down in gauge, like shotgun shells, so the smaller the number the fatter the wire. Just go to your local Radio Shack, this is one of the few things that they sell at decent prices. I think Target also sells some speaker wire. You don't need the fancy gold end connectors or anything like that.