I'm looking for at least an intermediate level guitar I won't have to upgrade for a good while and I don't want to spend over $700. It needs to have 24 frets, a good quality whammy bar (no Floyd roses, and the bar needs to be tight to the guitar) and looking cool is a definite bonus. I like a thick, classic 80's Metallica tone.
What kind of trem do you want then? Kahler?

"Metal" guitar with a trem that's not a Floyd rose (or clone) severely limits your options.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
not true. ernie ball has a pretty solid non double locking trem they use on the JP models. those are about 2 Gs + tho.

on that note - the high end sterling version music man JP models should be in the 700 range for their best, and i hear relatively good things considering they are selling a 2500-4000 dollar guitar for 500-800.

the JP60 is okay but at the JP100 they step it up to JPs signature dimario pickups, etc.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterling-by-Music-Man/JP100D-John-Petrucci-Signature-Series-Koa-Top-Dimarzio-Pickups-Electric-Guitar.gc

if not that, i would have said Ibanez S series which isnt floyd but its a floyd clone. so basically the same thing.

theres nothing that makes a "metal" bridge. i mean, you cant play like dimebag on a fender, but darnit if you put the right pups in a strat it will play metal. so there.

but personally, at about a 700 dollar price point without cutting corners, i would just go hardtail.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
You can get a guitar with a decent trem for 700. Get a used Ibanez Prestige.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by 21GunSalute
You can get a guitar with a decent trem for 700. Get a used Ibanez Prestige.

I disagree. I played a Ibanez RG270 and the whammy bar was perfect.
Is it true that Kahlers go out of tune? Is there a trem that feels like a Kahler but'll also stay in tune?
Why don't you want a Floyd?

Not wanting a Floyd, yet still demanding the range of motion and the tuning stability of a Floyd does indeed limit your options a lot. Very few guitars have Kahlers. Very few guitars in that price range have decent non-locking bridges.

What other features are you looking for in a guitar? And please be specific.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by xcamero360
Is it true that Kahlers go out of tune? Is there a trem that feels like a Kahler but'll also stay in tune?

Slayer seems to do just fine with Kahlers so, I wouldn't worry about tuning stability.
Quote by xcamero360

It is NOT true that Kahlers go out of tune.

I have several on older Carvins (as in from the late '80's) that have been killer with Kahlers. This is my ancient (well, '88 or so) V220 (solid maple neck and body, ebony f/b, MOP blocks:

Dead nuts in tune, very low action, kicks butt. Bridge pickup is an M22-SD that's really one of the voices of 80's rock.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why don't you want a Floyd?

Not wanting a Floyd, yet still demanding the range of motion and the tuning stability of a Floyd does indeed limit your options a lot. Very few guitars have Kahlers. Very few guitars in that price range have decent non-locking bridges.

What other features are you looking for in a guitar? And please be specific.

Floyds just don't feel as good as Kahlers, which is what I'm guessing is what I used on an Ibanez RG270? Anyway, my other preferences are in the OP. I don't know much about pickups and I haven't had enough experience with different kinds to ask for anything specific.
You may just have not liked the Ibby FR clone. Especially on a 200 series Ibby. Those are low end guitars with low end Trems. You might like a OFR or a FR1000. Can you go to a music store and try out some Floyd guitars? Schecter has some killer guitars in that price range (especially used, pretty sure you can grab Hellraiser Extremes all day).
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic
Quote by xcamero360 at #33581767
Floyds just don't feel as good as Kahlers, which is what I'm guessing is what I used on an Ibanez RG270? Anyway, my other preferences are in the OP. I don't know much about pickups and I haven't had enough experience with different kinds to ask for anything specific.

Well if you aren't sure on other such important things as pickups, then perhaps what would be best for you is to go to a guitar store and try as many different guitars there as possible so that you actually know what you're looking for and you're not making blind guesses as to whether those other important details are suitable for you.

The above poster may be right too. Objectively, the RG270's trem just isn't that good. Better quality Floyds are more responsive to your inputs, have more sustain and have much better tuning stability.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee