I'm interested in purchasing a monitor for myself. Our band has a decent PA with a sub. I am told a 100-200 watt speaker would be enough, with 1/4 inch inputs.

I want to spend $200-250 tops.

Any suggestions?

Are there any major considerations for buying one?

Frank.
Passive (you already have an amp output available) or active so you have more control over your personal monitor sound? Floor wedge or personal spot monitor? Do you sing? New or used? What city are you in? Different brands are more common in certain areas.

Yes there are always considerations.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Yup. Good questions above from Cajundaddy. I have several sizes of monitors I use depending on the venue. Some are small active personal monitors and others are floor monitors driven by a high powered QSC amp. What are you looking for?
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I'd look for something like a Carvin PM12A used.

This is (of course) a pair of them. A PM12A weighs around 30 lbs (there's also a lighter PM10A out there somewhere), and has a 400W power amp built in. You don't want to be sucking power from the rest of the PA if you can avoid it. There should be some kind of monitor output from your mixer; run a line to your monitor and set the volume where you like it. They're about $319 each new, so a really good used one should fit right into your budget.

http://www.carvinaudio.com/products/pm12a-molded-2-way-12-inch-powered-loudspeaker-monitor
Quote by Cajundaddy
Passive (you already have an amp output available) or active so you have more control over your personal monitor sound?

I am using my amp with a mic positioned in front that goes to mixer, passive (I think)

Floor wedge or personal spot monitor?

No idea

Do you sing? New or used? What city are you in?

I do not sing, play guitar only.

Would go new or used, Raleigh, NC

Thanks. Gives me more info than I thought I needed.
For a passive monitor these are great floor monitors. They are big and heavy but sound awesome. If he will part with one for $150 you are golden.
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/5195880010.html

In small personal monitors I like the Mackie. Self powered and loud, just get it close to you for great vocal cues. It doesn't produce a lot of bass, but bass wrap from the mains is plenty so you just don't need it in the monitor.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mackie-srm150-active-speaker-black?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CJLbwZrQ3McCFReUfgodKxYKLA&kwid=productads-plaid^57306513667-sku^485389000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^53736456387

I have worked with both of these for many years and like em.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I agree with Cajundaddy about the Mackie personal monitors. They work great. I have a pair of them and one an additional Behringer clone version. The Behringer also works great (honestly I can't tell the difference except they are about $100.00 less than the Mackie). One thing I will ad is that they are very directional. You can get them really close to you without feedback (I have mine just below my microphone level about a foot back in front of me) and they can get loud. Just be aware that they were specifically designed as a directional personal monitor not a stage fill or for use by say someone standing near you. Inches mean a lot when your setting them up.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 4, 2015,
That Mackie has a 5 1/4" speaker and 150W of power, very directional and very personal. V?ery little bottom end. They really can't be used for anything else. $250.

That PM12A, above, has a 12" LF driver and a 1" tweeter, will mount on a speaker stand, can be used as a mains speaker, has a 400W RMS build-in amp, a small but competent mixer (actually very like that on the mackie) for personal use, and it reproduces solid bottom end (at least an octave below the Mackie).

The choice breaks down to the intended usage (is it important to have a piece that's versatile, or very specialized), and exactly how "personal" you want your monitor to be. The Mackie needs to be close to you, and I'd say it sits somewhere between the PM12A-style monitor and an IEM. You'll need to ask yourself questions regarding your stage volume, potential feedback levels, and who ELSE you want to hear the monitor, and how much area on stage you want to cover for yourself (are you moving around?).