I have never owned an electric guitar before, but i play acoustic a little, and I'm looking to buy an electric guitar. What are the best guitars for playing: Pearl Jam (I love McCreadys solos ), Soundgarden, Alice in Chains,Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bush, Jimi Hendrix, SOAD, maybe a little bit of Nirvana? Mainly I'm aiming for grunge, rock, alternative rock and similar(and a little bit of metal).
And i don't understand the thing about the pickups. Like, which are better? Single coil or Humbuckers? And why?
Thanks in advance, and sorry if i made some mistakes, i am new.
Last edited by SpoonmanSG at Sep 2, 2015,
I'm primarily an acoustic player who got interested in electrics fairly late in life. My interests, though deep, are quite different to yours, so these suggestions are tentative.

I would go HSS strat, that is humbucker in the bridge and singles in the middle and neck. The singles will give good cleans, and the humbucker in the bridge would be good for overdriven/distorted lead sounds.
Last edited by Tony Done at Sep 2, 2015,
Budget??
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Tony Done

I would go HSS strat, that is humbucker in the bridge and singles in the middle and neck. The singles will give good cleans, and the humbucker in the bridge would be good for overdriven/distorted lead sounds.

+1, that's a good call for the stuff he's playing.

we need a budget, though, as Bhaok said.

regarding single coils versus humbuckers, neither is better, but they sound different and are more suitable for certain types of music (or at least, certain sounds) than others. this is a gross overgeneralisation, but generally you use (fender-style) single coils for lower gain/less distorted tones as they have less output and have more treble, while you use humbuckers for heavier tones as they have more output (which gives more distortion at any given amp setting), a more focussed/middier tone, and cancel the hum (which tends to become more apparent as the distortion goes up).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
some sort of super strat might be a good idea. they seem to cover a lot of bases.

-humbucker for heavier tones like soad, aic, sg, etc..
-fast often compound radius neck for easy leadwork..pj, aic, hendrix
-tremolo for making noise, hendrix. aic

for rhcp's a bit of a different sound is needed -thinner, funkier. maybe your super strat could have a split humbucker in the bridge to get you more of a strat sound although with jimi you need fuzz sometimes.

anyway just an idea.
Last edited by ad_works at Sep 2, 2015,
Quote by ad_works
for rhcp's a bit of a different sound is needed -thinner, funkier. maybe your super strat could have a split humbucker in the bridge to get you more of a strat sound although with jimi you need fuzz sometimes.

^Imo a decent funk sound can be managed with a humbucker and a bit of EQ. Just my experience, but I find it easier to thin out a 'bucker than thicken up a singlecoil.

As for fuzz, I've always found it to be a good friend of neck single-coils and slightly rolled-back tone knobs.

I think HSS would be the best option, whether you go superstrat or traditional Strat, but yeah we need to know the budget before we can give accurate recommendations.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Personally, I'd probably go for a HH with coil splits to cover most of that, 9/10 times. Even for funk- there are many notable players who use HB (with or without splitting) for playing funk style riffs.

However, I was recently reminded of the existence of the discontinued Godin SD, and it may be close to ideal in this situation. SDs were made in Canada & the USA, have a Les Paul body style & 24.75" scale. But they're also HSS with a 5-way selector and a tremolo- Wilkinson, I think. If not, it's an in-house piece.

...and typically cost between $180-500 in the used market.

Pretty nice little hybrid design, IMHO.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinsdp.htm
http://www.godinguitars.com/performanceseries.pdf
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godin-SD-electric-guitar-in-transparent-red-with-birds-eye-neck-/121724872896?hash=item1c575e28c0
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godin-SD-22-Red-with-PLEK-setup-/321807747420?hash=item4aed3c895c

Also, its hardtail cousin- the Exit 22- can also be found on the used market for about the same price:
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinexit22p.htm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godin-Exit-22-S-with-Gig-Bag/181845234828?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D777000%26algo%3DABA.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33098%26meid%3Dee9c4307c0724620b4872184c02b692b%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D301729322806
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 3, 2015,
I disagree- for the strat stuff (and there's a lot of strat stuff there he listed), HSS is far better than HH with coil splits (which tends to sound more like a tele to my ears). In my opinion, obviously.

But those godins are a good shout if he's ok with used. I haven't tried those specific ones, but the, er, one I have tried was pretty nice.

Just watch going used if you're new, it's a lot harder to tell if something's wrong. Ideally you'd want to bring a guitar-playing friend you trust with you to check it out.

If you don't want to risk it, you should be able to get a yamaha pacifica 112v new for $300 I think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SpoonmanSG
I have never owned an electric guitar before, but i play acoustic a little, and I'm looking to buy an electric guitar. What are the best guitars for playing: Pearl Jam (I love McCreadys solos ), Soundgarden, Alice in Chains,Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bush, Jimi Hendrix, SOAD, maybe a little bit of Nirvana?

Like, ones with strings on them.
Quote by dspellman
Like, ones with strings on them.

Time for another snickers?
Quote by SpiderM
Time for another snickers?

Sorta. The original post is for a fairly complete survey of everything there is to know about an electric guitar, not really a request for clarification. "I don't understand the thing about pickups" was just one example. Given the portfolio of bands, virtually anything would work with the possible exception of a couple of instruments that are pretty specialized.
Quote by dspellman
Sorta. The original post is for a fairly complete survey of everything there is to know about an electric guitar, not really a request for clarification. "I don't understand the thing about pickups" was just one example. Given the portfolio of bands, virtually anything would work with the possible exception of a couple of instruments that are pretty specialized.

Yep, I hear you. I think sometimes it's more of whether the guitar suits the image (e.g. "you can't play metal on that, it's not pointy enough").
That said, I would go with the HSS suggestion for those bands.
Quote by SpiderM
Yep, I hear you. I think sometimes it's more of whether the guitar suits the image (e.g. "you can't play metal on that, it's not pointy enough").
That said, I would go with the HSS suggestion for those bands.

There ya go, then.
I've always been a fan of HSH guitars, for most of the same reasons.