Greetings.

I'm very very curious about symphonic metal concepts, as I like bands like Nightwish, Epica, Anorexia Nervosa, Leaves' Eyes, Dimmu Borgir, etc. I know all of them are symphonic metal bands, and all of them use symphonic elements, but I'm curious about how guitar (and riffs) work in symphonic metal.

See this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DkUiDzCQms

When he plays "Symphonic Metal", it sounds very harmonized. How can I get this harmony? by using two guitars or special effects?
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that he's playing octaves, if that's what you are referring to with being "very harmonized".
There really are little to no actual symphonic elements to be found in symphonic metal. The symphony is a musical form as opposed to a sound. The name symphonic metal comes from confusion between symphony and orchestra. Orchestra in itself does not even have to refer to the type of large concert band that plays classical music.

Generally symphonic bands have no real influence from classical music either apart from superficial characteristics such as some instances of instrumentation typically associated with classical music such as violins, piano, horns, choirs, etc.

As to how guitar works... it works the same as any other metal. Like folk metal, symphonic metal tends to be based on a particular subgenre of metal. Epica and Nightwish are based in piss weak traditional heavy metal and power metal, Dimmu, Cradle of Filth, etc are based in equally weak black metal, and so on.

Depending on the band, the metal instruments (guitar, bass, drums) are almost completely unnecessary to the music and in do little to influence the overall sound besides being the sole qualifier to being labeled as metal, which is the ticket to commercial success in the 13-19 demographic in the US and the general population of Finland.

Similarly, symphonic is more of a gimmicky descriptor used to sell an otherwise generic and mediocre band that is "unique" due to the inclusion of clean vocals, usually female, and synthetic sounding strings and horns that provide the main melody and drive the track.

That may all sound very negative, but the reality is that the majority of symphonic metal tends to be very mediocre and gimmicky.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Sep 2, 2015,
^
Pretty much.

In some cases where even if I find that the orchestration works well, the guitar's role is pretty much reduced to playing powerchords to the root, acoustic guitars and lead work aside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OQ_hQXRRMA
(for example)

If you are aiming for a massive orchestral sound then you in most cases have to tame your distorted guitar sounds either by lowering the volume or simplifying the riffs. In the end it's all down to honing your skills in arranging the parts of your song together.

That aside I found the video in the first post pretty uninformative.
it's usually some dude with a roland and a dude yelping some cheesy phantom of the opera-esque track with some smelly vest-jockies they found on craigslist chugging along
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Looks like a few warnings for trolling (genre/band bashing) should be handed out.

But this thread doesn't really belong here. It would probably be better suited to the metal forum. I'm going to close this before it gets any worse. Please try the metal forum.

As for other's - if you can't keep the posts constructive please don't post or take it to the pit.

Closed
Si